We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do Jaguars Eat Ayahuasca? Options

Ljosalfar
#1 Posted : 1/8/2011 1:00:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The latest claim that the cats do is here, along with other animals-ingesting-psychoactives anecdotes:

http://www.pjonline.com/christmas/pj2010_723

The article is informative and lame by turns, and has no references - unfortunate but perhaps predictable that the Pharmaceutical Journal tosses off such a fascinating and illuminating subject as laughable christmas trivia. I emailed the author, respectfully requesting references, but Mr. (Dr.?) Haynes did not reply.
Regarding jaguars and aya, he writes, "Some anthropologists believe that man first learnt to use the drug after watching jaguars."
Which anthropologists? There is also mention of a film of the cats - I believe Endlessness mentioned it recently... which film?
I find great confirmation and connection in these reports of animals - I am one! - seeking to alter consciousness.
Any help is appreciated.

L
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

۩
#2 Posted : 1/8/2011 1:04:58 AM

youtube search will reveal to you visual evidence !

endlessness
#3 Posted : 1/8/2011 1:11:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yep I think its a reasonable question, indeed that article is pretty vague and the lack of sources is troubling..

quoting myself in another thread:

endlessness wrote:
Yes there are animals that will ingest certain psychoactive substances but: Is there any proof that jaguars really consume caapi vine and is there any proof that caapi vine will give them some kind of psychoactive experience?

The only source for this claim I ever saw was in that famous video which looks very staged and selectively edited, I dont know how trustable it is (not saying it doesnt happen, but would be interesting if there was some sort of peer-reviewed publication or some other more reliable source, because so far all the claims I heard regarding this would actually be using that video as a source)

Maybe that video was staged. Maybe it wasnt but it was a coincidence (and/or selectively edited) and jaguars dont specially eat ayahuasca any more than they eat basically any plant. Maybe jaguars do eat caapi but they dont have any psychoactive experience from it and there's another reason for it. Or maybe they do eat and have a psychoactive experience.

I dont know what is the truth, but I do know better than to prematurely jumping into conclusions that "jaguars as a norm love to trip on ayahuasca" just from watching that one video and spreading it around Very happy

Here's the video btw

TrustLoveMan
#4 Posted : 1/8/2011 1:47:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

aya is a peculiar potion. Wink
All Posts are fiction and only exist to entertain

Ljosalfar
#5 Posted : 1/8/2011 1:59:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks all. After watching the vid, I am quite skepticalWink . I will continue to investigate... research is fun stuff! If anyone has any new leads, let me know. For now, tracking down which indigenous people believe/observe the cats eating Banisteriopsis might be fruitful. That and getting after the producers of the video! Onward with zoopharmacognosy!
L
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman