We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
BBC Programmes on Drugs Options

Entheojen
#1 Posted : 1/7/2011 7:23:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The Brain: A Secret History
Includes Professor Nutt, talks about psilocybin and the presenter (I think), who is a doctor, undergoes a psilocybin trial.
Part 1 of series.
Thursdays, 9pm, BBC Four

How Drugs Work: Cannabis
Part 1 of series. Next week is ecstacy.
Thursdays, 9pm, BBC HD

The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Swarupa
#2 Posted : 1/7/2011 7:52:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cool, i caught the cannabis one but missed the brain one, cheers!

After watching all i can say is... i wish i had some of that pure psilocybin Smile

Bancopuma
#3 Posted : 1/7/2011 10:21:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Big thanks for sharing, I watched the cannabis one last night, but missed the psilocybin one, just heard about it a few hours ago and wanted to see it. Nice one Wink

Swarupa
#4 Posted : 1/7/2011 10:31:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Anyone find it quite interesting that psilocybin doesn't really activate parts of the brain, that it's more of de-activator decreasing blood flow to certain areas?

I fele it perhaps hints at it's connection with spiritual experience & consciousness not being sourced in the brain.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#5 Posted : 1/8/2011 5:07:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Stoned In Suburbia is another surprisingly balanced drug doc from the beeb which I caught on rerun a few nights ago. I found it pretty amazing how widespread weed usage is across the British population, and that the speakers came off as favourable characters (Cannabis Granny in particular is very funny).

I've never been very engaged with weed or the culture around it, but the more I find out the more I see it as an incredibly popular and robust cause that I think represents the best hope for the future of ahem, proper psychedelics, particularly shrooms, which most British people would probably rank alongside weed in terms of risk. That the ultimate staid, hidebound institution that is the BBC is now regularly portraying it in a... good? not-entirely-devilish? light is a pretty good development all round IMO.

The psilocybin segment of The Brain doc is good too. I was a bit concerned they'd veer off into zomg!midcontrol!madness! territory, but it's hard to see anything negative in there. The presenter is slightly nervous going in but his elation post-trip is obvious. I'd read the write-up on the BBC website but it didn't convey just how happy the guy evidently was with the experience.

"It was all rather beautiful."

Christ, what next? Might the beeb stop using that hushed tone of abject awe when reporting what pair of shoes the Queen has chosen to wear today? A bit less prostration before the glorious dead of our just and noble wars? Maybe a bit of that skepticism stuff now and then? Hm, well, some honesty about drugs is a start I suppose.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

Pandora
#6 Posted : 1/8/2011 5:11:18 AM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Looking forward to watching these. Thanks so much. Very happy
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

Swarupa
#7 Posted : 1/8/2011 10:02:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Laban Shrewsbury III wrote:

I've never been very engaged with weed or the culture around it, but the more I find out the more I see it as an incredibly popular and robust cause that I think represents the best hope for the future of ahem, proper psychedelics,

Yes, the gateway drug opens the gateways.

If they start treating depression with sub threshold doses of psilocybin that would be a very great thing in my eyes.