We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
baking soda Options

notapillow
#1 Posted : 7/24/2008 9:37:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ok
so i hear washing soda is more desirable than baking soda for washing loaded naptha

what i want to know is why?

and can you use baking soda with good results
iv heard people saying it "might" effect yeild but no one saying it for sure does

also im alittle sketched on the mesurments for the wash
everything i read seems to say a pinch...or half pinch of soda
im kinda used to mesuring every thing now so i feel kinda off just throwing some in there

any expereince gratefully appreciatedRazz

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 7/25/2008 1:11:35 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Hi notapillow,

Baking soda (aka sodium bicarbonate) is a very weak base and will give you a pH at around 8.5, which basically means that more than half of spice will be salted and therefore washed away. DMT has a pKa of 8.68, which in plain terms means that at pH of 8.68 50% of DMT will be salted (and thus water soluble and 50% will be freebased. Washing soda on the other hand (sodium carbonate) is a moderately weak base which will give you a pH at around 12, which is strong enough to keep the spice freebased while you wash any NaOH remains.

You can also easily dissolve 10-50 grams of sodium carbonate per litre of water to get a pH of ~12

Hope that helps!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

WSaged
#3 Posted : 7/25/2008 1:54:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You do need to use Sodium Carbonate also know as "Arm & Hammer - Super Washing Soda", found in most larger supermarket's laundry isle, in a big yellow box. Its about $1.50 for enough to last through all of your life's extractions and a few loads of dirty laundry to boot.
Sodium Bicarbonate (or baking soda) is not the same thing at all!
I forget what the technical difference is but suffice to say, "baking soda" is not a soap!! "Super Washing Soda" is.

All you really need is a tiny, little pinch.
if I have 300ml of naptha, I will use 20ml of room temp Distilled water and just a pinch of Sodium Carbonate (a little bit betweeen my thumb & pointer finger) on the first wash. Then two more washes with just Distilled water.
The Idea is that you add a bit of "soapy" water to the naptha and quickly shake it up and let it separate. Only takes like 2 to 3 minutes to separate, at the most. There will still be a bit of the sodium carbonate left in the naptha so the two straight water washes are to get the rest out, so don't use too much!!
Any residual lye or other crap will be attracted to the sodium carbonate and be pulled out with it & the water, making your naptha (& hence your DMT) much cleaner!

Be careful not to get any of the water in your freeze precipitation jars!! It will turn to ice in the freezer and when you filter out your spice the ice will start to melt and fuck up some of the yield.

WS

All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!