We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
First British Psilocybin Trial? Options

Ljosalfar
#1 Posted : 1/6/2011 10:07:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12122409

...a brain scan study of people injected with psilocybin.
Two things stand out as very odd:

1 - the author of the article claims his whole experience lasted about 10 minutes! Even if he is speaking only of the peak, isn't this a bit shortStop Wut?

2 - the author states US researchers, "using non-hallucinogenic versions, have already begun researching the use of former "psychedelics" for treating depression, obsessive compulsion disorder, alcoholism, and addiction."
What does this refer to?

Anyone know where the trial research was published?

Thanks,
L

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Entheojen
#2 Posted : 1/6/2011 10:53:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I think they mean that they performed the tests for ten minutes, like the parts where he answered the rating scales. Then he was let out of the scanner.

Very interesting and positive to see this on the BBC. Hopefully it will shed a more positive light on the area. I'll have to look out for that program.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#3 Posted : 1/7/2011 12:47:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hm, not a bad treatment at all. It does seem the media are starting to find stories in the overturning of past hysteria moreso than in perpetuating the old bullshit line (yellow journalist rags notwithstanding - I wonder what the Daily Mail's take is on this field of research? Wait, no I don't). And Prof Nutt in particular seems to be doing a good job of presenting the reality of psychedelics to journalists. He's certainly getting around. It's hard to imagine voices like his drawing even the slightest media attention were it not for his daring to shout out about the Emperor's bare arse that was Labour's drug policies.

So, maybe some pro-drug reform sympathies at the beeb? Or at least not vociferous anti-reform sympathies. Twice this week I've (accidentally) encountered BBC programmes presenting a fairly honest view of pot effects and users. I never thought I'd see the day.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

Ellis D'Empty
#4 Posted : 1/7/2011 1:34:38 AM

Snirfneblin

Ljosalfar wrote:

2 - the author states US researchers, "using non-hallucinogenic versions, have already begun researching the use of former "psychedelics" for treating depression, obsessive compulsion disorder, alcoholism, and addiction."
What does this refer to?

I believe this refers to the use of non-hallucinogenic LSD, or iso-LSD, or some other form of LSD, to treat cluster headaches. Also, the Ibogaine studies. I believe that there were also some 2c-x trials as well, but can't remember.
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

Electric.Sight
#5 Posted : 1/7/2011 5:16:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I often say "Eventually the truth always comes out". Someday the benefits of psychedelics will be known to all, how long this will take I'm not sure.
It's very comforting to see more and more studies on these things today.
Disclaimer: All Entheogens and other research materials are not for Human consumption! I have researched by text the effects of consuming such things in case of accidental consumption. I have never actually consumed any of the materials I speak about and it should be assumed I'm speaking hypothetically. I have a wild imagination.

universecannon
#6 Posted : 1/7/2011 5:27:20 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Yea there popping up in the news more and more

i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this one from the worst news source ever
http://www.foxnews.com/h...nt-healing-soul/#content

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Ljosalfar
#7 Posted : 1/7/2011 8:28:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, U C. Fox News indeed!
Has the Nexus considered a media review section, perhaps in the Wiki? Erowid does something similar...

L
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman

Entheojen
#8 Posted : 1/7/2011 8:56:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Kevyn The Khem wrote:
Ljosalfar wrote:

What does this refer to?

I believe this refers to the use of non-hallucinogenic LSD, or iso-LSD, or some other form of LSD, to treat cluster headaches. Also, the Ibogaine studies. I believe that there were also some 2c-x trials as well, but can't remember.

Ah yes, that's what it'll be. There was a program on Discovery channel about three months ago and I'm almost sure it had 'LSD' in the title and it showed treatment of cluster headaches with LSD and mentioned taking the hallucinogenic parts out so people could use it in everyday life.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

talking monkey
#9 Posted : 1/8/2011 6:10:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not trying to hijack but along the same vein. I found this article interesting a month or so ago. I cant remember how i found it. Its about a cedar sinai shroom study on terminally ill.

http://seattletimes.nwso...2827070_mushrooms07.html

Swarupa
#10 Posted : 1/8/2011 10:00:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Check this wesbite out, pretty great this is happening...

http://www.beckleyfounda...e-effects-of-psilocybin/

Peace

Ljosalfar
#11 Posted : 1/8/2011 10:17:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chronic wrote:
Check this wesbite out, pretty great this is happening...

http://www.beckleyfounda...e-effects-of-psilocybin/

Peace

Bingo! Thanks Chronic for the sharp research! Dr. Nutt indeed!
L

Swarupa
#12 Posted : 1/9/2011 6:16:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Im so glad this is happening, psilocybin is something that could really make a difference in the lives of so many people, it's real mind medicine.

Im also interested in the short 10 minute trip, 'shooting up into the stars'...

If only extracting psilocybin was as simple as DMT.

Entheojen
#13 Posted : 1/11/2011 7:36:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ljosalfar wrote:
This from the BBC:
1 - the author of the article claims his whole experience lasted about 10 minutes! Even if he is speaking only of the peak, isn't this a bit shortStop Wut?

After actually watching this program, I wonder if IV psilocybin has a shorter duration than ingestion (I presume it would act similarly to DMT in administration). Can anyone confirm?