We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
medicinal mimosa? Options

mrwiggle
#1 Posted : 1/2/2011 11:14:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

so i was looking up mimosa hostilis on wikipedia...i found references to it being used for a number of medical things inluding all this stuff:
Medicinal uses

[edit]Disaster response

Mimosa tenuiflora root bark
The Mayans of Mexico have used roasted Mimosa tenuiflora "tepezcohuite" bark to treat lesions of the skin for over a thousand years.[8]
Powdered tepezcohuite bark contains large amounts (16%) of tannins, which act as an astringent, making the skin stop bleeding. This helps protect the body from infection, while the skin builds new protective tissue. It also contains three kinds of steroid, which have an anti-inflammatory effect[1]
Tannins in the bark diminish capillary permeability.[disambiguation needed] It contains antioxidant flavonoids.
Mimosa tenuiflora "tepezcohuite" proved vital in the treatment of some of the 5000 burn victims in the aftermath of a series of liquid petroleum gas explosions at a huge facility located near Mexico City in San Juan Ixhuatepec (San Juanico), November 19, 1984.[9] It was also used to treat victims of a large 1985 earthquake in Mexico.[9] Powder from the bark has a 2-3 hour pain killing effect on the skin. Bark powder causes skin to regenerate fully in a matter of weeks.[9] The results and some mechanisms thereof have been confirmed in the laboratory.[9] Tepezcohuite is used to treat acne, psoriasis and herpes.[10]
Extensive research has been performed in labs in Mexico, Canada and the United Kingdom. It is now used in commercial hair and skin products for rejuvenating skin.
The bark is known to be rich in tannins, saponins, alkaloids, lipids, phytosterols, glucosides, xylose, rhamnose, arabinose, lupeol, methoxychalcones and kukulkanins. In vitro studies have shown three times more bacteriocidal activity on bacterial cultures than streptomycin, and it works to some degree in vivo.
In addition to the above effects, tepezcohuite may protect and stimulate the generation of collagen and "elastina," as well as providing protecting flavonoids and hyaluronic acid, a building block for tissue regeneration.[citation needed]
[edit]Treating traumatic injury
For traumatic injuries, tepezcohuite is believed to protect exposed bone and to help regenerate soft tissue. As mentioned before, it is an antiseptic. It is also used in the prevention of inflammation.[11]
[edit]Treating venous leg ulcerations
Mimosa tenuiflora has been shown to be very effective in treating venous leg ulcerations, a condition especially problematic for people with diabetes.[12]

does anyone have any info as to excactly how one would use it for any of this stuff?

could one brew a tea and take out the tannins w/ gelatin then use the tannin monster glob thing as an external medicine? or maybe you just drink the tea and it does everything at once?
what do you think?
ive received the trans dermal download in the apousal lounge

no disease could possibly survive in such a wiggly environment!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/3/2011 12:05:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I had a cut in my arm. I put some powdered mimosa in a glass with a tiny bit of water and spread that "sandy" cream in my arm (it stinged a bit for first second but then stopped) and let it stand there and dry. I washed and put some more occasionally over the next couple of days, and it healed very fast (but no idea how much it was normal healing or placebo).

I dont know if thats the way the traditional topic use is done, maybe people use some kind of oil as "vehicle" instead of water or do some other preparation, but what I did seemed to work.. Maybe someone else knows this or if I find out I will post here.

dumbstruck
#3 Posted : 1/3/2011 12:19:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool find. I was unaware of these properties.

I don't know if extracting all the tannins is a good idea. With such a large percentage of the root bark already being tannins I think a purer extract might be too much tannic acid / simply too many alkaloids. Plus I imagine much of the positive qualities come from things other than the tannins -- they only mention in the article that the tannins are used as an anti-astringent.

Super cool beans. I have been thinking of writing up little brochure type deals about each drug that could be conveniently printed out and left with ones stash or whatnot. Having information like this attached to my ethnobotanical collection, on hand at all times, would not only make me a super cool natural medicine dude, but also be pretty dang helpful. I would definitely cover cuts in an MHRB paste rather than use some random store bought collection of alcohols and binders and such.

Global
#4 Posted : 1/3/2011 3:31:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

Interesting. I'll keep this in mind the next time I cut myself Laughing

[edit] just for the record, I don't cut myself on purpose Shocked
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb