We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A new and crazy idea for mushroom cultivation? Options

magickpsychonaut
#1 Posted : 12/28/2010 7:37:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey, my pet hamster was journeying on trich cactus the other night and since he is a newb as far as mushroom cultivation goes he got this idea to use the pulp left over from the cactus tea for making pf tek jars.

Has anyone tried this? The reason my pet hamster thinks it's a good idea is because he's poured a little cactus tea into other plants that began to bloom and grow like crazy. He's also noticed that when he drinks the tea, his acne subsides, hair and nails grow like wild fire, and he gets insane pumps in the gym, and experiences an overall improved health of body and mind. My pet hamster thinks that maybe this will affect the potency and health of the mushrooms as well.

Anyone tried this before? Any thoughts or having tried something similar, i.e., using ayahuasca tea, syrian rue, etc. pulp/leftovers for growing and cultivating? My cat thinks it may even be a good idea for MJ plants. Your thoughts?Smile
"Talent does what it can, Genius does what it must"

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

DiMiTriX
#2 Posted : 12/28/2010 7:50:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

it *could* work but not as brown rice flour..would be more interesting to use the slimy stuff from boiled cacti to colonize some petris maybe just my 2 cents.
Tz'is aná

Choothos
#3 Posted : 12/28/2010 8:16:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The pulp would be far too wet to use as is. At the very least it would have to be dried to field capacity, and that still doesn't mean it would be a suitable substrate.

Upon re-reading your post I'm almost certain that you could not make pf jars with it. Even if you dried it to the proper consistency.

The fact that it promotes healthy plant growth isn't necessarily important to us from a mycological stand point because if my memory serves me correctly the growth requirements of fungi as opposed to those of plants are almost opposite.

It's good that you're exploring new ideas though, and I think I have seen some buds colonized w/ mycelium over at the shroomery. If you're not a member already I highly suggest signing up for an account. There's a ton of great info over there on the subject. If you do sign up look up Roger Rabbit. He's done alot of research on non-traditional substrates. I saw pictures of a bible he colonized and fruited, and a woman's bra as well...

I myself have wondered if used, shredded Ayahuasca vine would be in any way a useful additive to a bulk substrate mix.

magickpsychonaut
#4 Posted : 12/28/2010 11:23:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you, my pet hamster has signed up with shroomery and will be reading more on the topic. I saw the bible you were speaking about, very cool. Will ask roger rabbit about his behsroomed bra, sounds interesting lol.

Anyway, my pet hamster has gone ahead and done the pf jars. He squeezed as much of the pulp out in a tshirt and then used the pulp in the mix. He added the same amount of flour as the pulp to make the consistency and moisture the same as the regular recipe. Will be reporting back in a week or 2 for an update. Thanks for the replies, guess we'll see. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz I have a good feeling about it though.

Choothos
#5 Posted : 12/29/2010 3:30:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Did you acidify the tea at all?

It may be too acidic for the mycelium...

Either way, let us know how it turns out

magickpsychonaut
#6 Posted : 12/29/2010 3:33:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ack! Didn't think about that. Yes it was slightly acidified. Now I'm definitely curious and will report back.

pau
#7 Posted : 12/29/2010 5:34:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My pet gerbil - with an honorary pair of psychonaut wings - has for the past year been adding Trich pulp (and more recently leftover caapi, chacruna, chalilponga and jurema) to the compost pile behind its cage. That compost has now aged to the point where it can effectively treat and condition the soil for newly planted fruits and vegetables, as well as additional cactus. Though still early in the growing season, it does seem to encourage mushroom growth! In few months, the carrots, lettuce and berries ought to be great, not to mention the pomegranates.
WHOA!