We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Reindeer eat magic mushrooms to escape winter boredom, scientists say Options

actualfactual
#1 Posted : 12/24/2010 4:25:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

IT'S no wonder Rudolph and his reindeer pals can fly: scientists say they have found that the animals regularly eat magic mushrooms to get high.

Scientist Andrew Haynes says reindeer deliberately seek out the mind-bending fungi to escape the monotony of dreary, long winters, Britain's The Sun newspaper reports.

Writing in the respected Pharmaceutical Journal, Haynes said: "They have a desire to experience altered states of consciousness."

"For humans a common side-effect of mushrooms is the feeling of flying, so it's interesting the legend about Santa's reindeer is they can fly," he continued.

Haynes also said that in some parts of the world herdsmen drink reindeer urine to get high themselves.

source @ http://www.heraldsun.com...y-e6frfhk6-1225975330982

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Ice House
#2 Posted : 12/24/2010 5:37:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

Well...... Why wouldnt they?
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

bringeroflight
#3 Posted : 12/24/2010 5:37:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Though the article doesn't say, I believe they're talking about flyagarics here, correct? I've often heard of reindeer eating Amanitas for the high. Plus, Amanitas seem to grow in more cold-weathered places than Psilocybes, no?

Anyway, it's very interesting, none the less. Humans are not the only species that can appreciate an altered state.. far from it. Thanks for sharing.
I am awake in a dream called reality.

ElusiveMind
#4 Posted : 12/24/2010 5:50:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

skullhuman wrote:
Though the article doesn't say, I believe they're talking about flyagarics here, correct? I've often heard of reindeer eating Amanitas for the high. Plus, Amanitas seem to grow in more cold-weathered places than Psilocybes, no?

Anyway, it's very interesting, none the less. Humans are not the only species that can appreciate an altered state.. far from it. Thanks for sharing.

Ya it is Amanita Muscaria mushrooms that they seek. And ya, there are lots of animals that seek altered states such as reindeer with amanitas, jaguars with jage, house cats with catnip, etc...
The Tea Party wrote:
We exist in a world where the fear of Illusion is real
And we cling to the past to deny and confuse the ideal

DMTripper wrote:
Bliss of ignorance -> pain of knowledge -> integrate -> bliss of knowledge.

SWIM and ElusiveMind are fictional characters and everything they say is fictional

endlessness
#5 Posted : 12/24/2010 10:10:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes there are animals that will ingest certain psychoactive substances but: Is there any proof that jaguars really consume caapi vine and is there any proof that caapi vine will give them some kind of psychoactive experience?

The only source for this claim I ever saw was in that famous video which looks very staged and selectively edited, I dont know how trustable it is (not saying it doesnt happen, but would be interesting if there was some sort of peer-reviewed publication or some other more reliable source, because so far all the claims I heard regarding this would actually be using that video as a source)

Swarupa
#6 Posted : 12/24/2010 11:19:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Maybe this is why i always seem to come back to psychedelics in winter...

Kartikay
#7 Posted : 12/24/2010 1:44:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Haha, I just posted another article about this... Why is the media suddenly covering this?

http://www.npr.org/2010/...-and-his-reindeer-flying
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

Madcap
#8 Posted : 12/24/2010 1:56:03 PM

illudium Q-36

reindeers can fly because they don't know that they can't
All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

SHroomtroll
#9 Posted : 12/24/2010 2:08:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have several friends with cats and dogs who always joins us when we smoke cannabis, a few hours hotboxed with us they usually lay down passed out in the couch.

abnormal
#10 Posted : 12/26/2010 6:44:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I heard from a friend who had returned from spending some time in Alaska that during the state fair/festival every year they auction mushroom caps for close to $100.

This is because they feed reindeer magic mushrooms, and after the reindeer does its business off in a corner, more mushrooms grow out of their feces, but twice as strong as the first! So they re-pick those mushrooms, feed the reindeer, and repeat the process over and over until they have these caps that make you trip for hours and hours, harder than you'd ever trip before.

He said he had eaten one and tripped for an entire day, but could only recall bits and pieces of his 24 hour journey.

endlessness
#11 Posted : 12/26/2010 7:17:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like misinformation to me. Amanitas dont grow out of reindeer feces, and AFAIK muscimol is excreted through the urine, not the feces. Plus even if the reindeer pissed where mushrooms are growing, I doubt it would effectively absorb back all the alkaloids as this myth seems to imply.

PsilocybeChild
#12 Posted : 12/26/2010 8:00:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah, it'd have to defecate out the spores undamaged. and amanitas can only grow with the symbiotic help of certain species of trees. like birch and fir trees I believe.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

alladinsgrandpa
#13 Posted : 1/2/2011 8:06:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

this is just a late night idea but what if the reindeer is a metaphor for enlightenment???Laughing

the reindeer on mushrooms (entheogens) allow santa ("truth/god/allah/etc."Pleased to deliver the presents (enlightenment) to the people of the world?

wheres jesse ventura when you need him?Wink

DiMiTriX
#14 Posted : 1/2/2011 9:07:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

afaik in sieria people have used to eat amanitas,and the poor people drank urine from richer siberians to get high without negative effects
or maybe there was just a curandero that drink and piss for all, i don't remember but it would be impossible to him to piss for many people..
Tz'is aná

KwisatzHaderach
#15 Posted : 1/4/2011 10:02:30 AM

everything is becoming

figured I'd share one more article on the topic.

It seems that European shamans would actually seek out reindeer whom had consumed Amanita mushrooms and drink their urine; as the psychoactives were still potent in the urine. Very interesting.

This article also explains how the Amanita mushroom was a very important symbol adopted and translated by early Christianity to convert the pagan holiday into a Christian one.

http://www.stumbleupon.c...icle.php/mambo1167330679
Nothing lasts...nothing lasts...everything is changing into something else...nothing is wrong...nothing is wrong...everything is on the right track

In an interstellar burst
I'm back to save the Universe

DiMiTriX
#16 Posted : 1/4/2011 11:00:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

not only the psychedelics compound are still present but the toxic compounds that has negative effects on body like muscimol and others has already been metabolized by the firt user,so urine is better!Wink
Tz'is aná

biopsylo
#17 Posted : 1/4/2011 10:12:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Haha, I just posted another article about this... Why is the media suddenly covering this?

because its christmas season!

i know this has been posted before, but this video has the most info on the topic at hand and then some:

http://video.google.com/...ocid=825942553983229569#

Electric.Sight
#18 Posted : 1/5/2011 3:53:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The stoned reindeer theoryLaughing Maybe in time, reindeer will start evolving their own language and prove Mckenna right.
Now that would really be something!

Edit: Just saw it was amanita muscaria they were eating, but I found this: http://www.dailymail.co....ing-magic-mushrooms.html

Goats like to trip too!
Disclaimer: All Entheogens and other research materials are not for Human consumption! I have researched by text the effects of consuming such things in case of accidental consumption. I have never actually consumed any of the materials I speak about and it should be assumed I'm speaking hypothetically. I have a wild imagination.

CosmicFool
#19 Posted : 1/5/2011 8:03:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shamans around here indeed used to feed their reindeer amanitas and drink their urine, many times Shamans gave the amanitas to their wives too. Used to hear lot of these stories when I was a kid. I used to own around a dozen reindeer too back in the day, though I didnt feed them any amanitas (or drink their piss) Very happy
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

Ljosalfar
#20 Posted : 1/6/2011 3:31:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The original article was in December's Pharmaceutical Journal and is here:

http://www.pjonline.com/christmas/pj2010_723

I, too, am interested in substantiation of the "jaguars eat aya" meme - anyone?

L
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman