We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Smoking DMT while pregnant Options

lowjackal
#1 Posted : 12/17/2010 7:19:16 AM

PuddinTane

This is almost a no-brainer , but........ What effects (if any) does DMT have upon as fetus if the mother smokes it once or twice while preggy?

I'm not preggs but just wanted to know for someone else close 2 me.

thanks ,
Flame on..
"Keep your friends close and your enemies dismembered."
Lowjackal original quote

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

lowjackal
#2 Posted : 12/17/2010 7:22:40 AM

PuddinTane

I just posted this and cant seem to find it without searching for my usernames posts... hmmmmmmmmm
"Keep your friends close and your enemies dismembered."
Lowjackal original quote

neverwas
#3 Posted : 12/17/2010 7:32:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll be the first to say it I guess. I really doubt there are any negatives about ingestion of DMT while pregnant. Some ladies drink ayahuasca while pregnant. I don't have hard data on this but I bet Someone does.
My name is love, for I am without fear

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 12/17/2010 10:20:11 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

It is generally advised against interfering with your normal physiology when pregnant. I ca nunderstand a pregnant woman smoking a cigarette every now and then, but id she craves for a smoked dmt experience she's batshit crazy and irresponsible. Why not kick your tummy instead?

It is not only that dmt has effects not only in the central nervous system but in the periphery as well (this includes womb+conceptus). Dmt can also harm the conceptus since development is an extremely fiddly process and I don't understand why you should mess with it by overflowing it with a neurotransmitter.

Morbiddoctor wrote:
I'll be the first to say it I guess. I really doubt there are any negatives about ingestion of DMT while pregnant. Some ladies drink ayahuasca while pregnant. I don't have hard data on this but I bet Someone does.

Sorry, if it has not been proven safe then it is possibly not safe. In a pregnancy you play it safe because you wouldn't want to mess with the baby down the way. I don't think you understand the intricate of human development.

Also some ladies drink ayahuasca? Is is from traditional use or westerns' use? I'd be curious to hear more about those ladies.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

justine
#5 Posted : 12/17/2010 10:51:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it's downright criminal to expose any unwilling person to psychedelics, and this also includes persons-to-be.
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

Enoon
#6 Posted : 12/17/2010 11:33:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

I have to agree with justine and Infundibulum. There's no way of knowing how this will affect the child, physiologically or even psychologically. So why risk it? 9 months isn't that long to go without...
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Magicman
#7 Posted : 12/17/2010 1:24:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Whilst its probably just being overcautious , pregnant women are even advised to be wary of aroma therapy.Infundibulum put it well ,its a fiddly process, a little change could do alot.
And also , he's right about it being a neurotransmitter, it almost makes it seem worse, changing somethng thats there , rather than something foreign
not actually that useful

Limeni
#8 Posted : 12/17/2010 2:05:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

. . .
I think we're all agreed on this...
. . . . . ....but ironcally, it's quite possible that the foetus already has way more DMT in its system than you would be putting in. Wink

actualfactual
#9 Posted : 12/17/2010 3:16:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

terribly irresponsible if not criminal

jamie
#10 Posted : 12/17/2010 3:46:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I would have no problem at all with the mother of my child(if there was one) drinking ayahuasca..this phenomenon has been studied in the daime and shipibo I beleive and there is no negative effects recorded at all to the child. I would be be much much more concerned with what food was going into the body that my child is growing in..milk and meat, fast food etc would be totally out of the question..honeslty I think the western diet mothers eat is far far more irresponciple than some DMT use..

i dunno about smoking since there is no research into that or a long history of its safe use while pregnant.
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#11 Posted : 12/17/2010 3:53:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

actualfactual
#12 Posted : 12/17/2010 3:58:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

the way I look at it is this -- smoking dmt is definitely not going to be beneficial in any way to the child, and there is a chance it could inhibit the childs development. i'm not saying dmt is inherently bad for a developing fetus but it is definitely possible.

even if one is being overly cautious not smoking dmt isn't it better to be overly cautious in these scenarios?

if someone isn't willing to stop tripping for 9 months (not exactly a lifetime -- dmt isn't going anywhere) for the sake of their child I truly question if they should even be a parent..

jamie
#13 Posted : 12/17/2010 4:09:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

aloneits wrote:
if someone isn't willing to stop tripping for 9 months (not exactly a lifetime -- dmt isn't going anywhere) for the sake of their child I truly question if they should even be a parent..

Would you actaully tell that to the daime, other churches and all the tribal groups that do use ayahuasca throughout pregnancy without any recorded problems?..and really what right do you have to do that?..until there is a direct correlation between its use and harm done to the infant(which so far there is not, despite observations on the phenomenon) I dont think you would have any place at all telling someone else how to raise they're own child..
Long live the unwoke.

actualfactual
#14 Posted : 12/17/2010 4:24:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't claim to have a right to tell anyone to raise their child, but I certainly have an opinion Smile

I don't see how using DMT is any different from doing cocaine or morphine during your pregnancy. (which are also natural extracted alkaloids)

What do you think is a good reason to smoke DMT during pregnancy? Also the reason there is no data about DMTs effect on unborn children is because there has never been any testing.

If a mother-to-be gets drunk a few times during her pregnancy and the child comes out alright does that mean alcohol is alright during pregnancy?

It seems to me doing this while pregnant you are opening up the possibility of messing with a childs development simply to experience at altered state of consciousness. You can justify it however you want but thats how it boils down in the end.

Infundibulum
#15 Posted : 12/17/2010 4:34:18 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

fractal enchantment wrote:
aloneits wrote:

Would you actaully tell that to the daime, other churches and all the tribal groups that do use ayahuasca throughout pregnancy without any recorded problems?..and really what right do you have to do that?..until there is a direct correlation between its use and harm done to the infant(which so far there is not, despite observations on the phenomenon) I dont think you would have any place at all telling someone else how to raise they're own child..

I think you try to shift the argument; it is no mine nor anyone else's to tell the Daimes what to do, we agree on that. However, when a woman really needs to get some serious opinion about the possible implications of aya in pregnancy and/or parturition then you cannot simply cite some anecdotal reports, especially when it comes from wacko cultists like the Daimes.

Quote:
http://marlomeyer1.blogs...queen-ayahuasca-and.html

FE, how do you know that there are no problems? The article you cited (other than being overly sensational) is neither peer reviewed nor it gives any numbers/statistics or even methods for assessing the extent to which aya through pregnancy might have affected the children. Also, the fact that nothing wrong seems to have happened to the children of these women does not mean that nothing has happened neither that nothing might happen.

jamie
#16 Posted : 12/17/2010 4:43:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

well obviousily there needs to be more actual testing going on..but to say that it is just like smoking crack or drinking while pregnant is rediculous. You dont hear about children being born in the daime with symtopms similar to fetal alcohol syndrom etc..people tend to jump to conclusions just becasue something is psychoactive..cocaine and alocohol etc have harmful effects on fully mature adults as well, whereas there is no evidence of that with ayahuasca..so to assume that it is just the same as any other drug in this respect seems naive..

I am not at all for the use of harmful substances in pregnancy. I would never ever have a child with a woman whose diet etc I thought could be able to effect future children I would have. I have had a friend my entire life with fetal alcohol syndrom, I have seen very well what certain things can do to a developing fetus. But as far as I can tell, there doesnt even seem to be anything like that going on in the communities that use ayahuasca durring pregnancy.

Sorry but as long as people make statements trying to argue how DMT is just like cocaine or morphine Im over this thread becasue that is so generalized a statement that I dont see how it is relevant.

Long live the unwoke.

actualfactual
#17 Posted : 12/17/2010 4:51:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just want to clarify the point I was trying to make; I don't think it is wise to ingest *any* drug during pregnancy - since all drugs in the parents system are going into the baby. I don't see why DMT is any different from cocaine or morphine because they are all recreational drugs.

I don't see why a mother to be would take the chance of consuming a possibly harmful recreational drug for the benefit of an altered state of consciousness. To me, this seems selfish also looks like addictive behavior.

In the end this is all opinion of course since there are no studies to support either side.

I am just one to err on the side of caution. Saying it is *impossible* for DMT use to inhibit a childs growth is too much for me to stomach.

jamie
#18 Posted : 12/17/2010 5:07:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah I understand what you are saying..sorry I think I came across as sort of defensive becasue I know my take on this whole thing is sort of unconventional and I think I have this habit of playing devils advocate..I just sort of think there is something beyond just addiction going on in circles like the diame. I dont think that you are wrong or that I am right..I just think the whole topic is a very complex issue that needs to be looked at from various angles.
Long live the unwoke.

Infundibulum
#19 Posted : 12/17/2010 5:30:58 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

fractal enchantment wrote:
well obviousily there needs to be more actual testing going on..but to say that it is just like smoking crack or drinking while pregnant is rediculous. You dont hear about children being born in the daime with symtopms similar to fetal alcohol syndrom etc..people tend to jump to conclusions just becasue something is psychoactive..cocaine and alocohol etc have harmful effects on fully mature adults as well, whereas there is no evidence of that with ayahuasca..so to assume that it is just the same as any other drug in this respect seems naive.

You're right, it is not too clever to jump into these types of conclusions. Usually however it is the case that a "better safe than sorry" strategy is employed by pregnant women when it comes to interfering with their metabolism. In the case of aya and/or smoked dmt, if you really do not need them while pregnant (see below), then it is safer not to take them.

Pregnant women have a feeling of their body and what they want to put in it that does not have parallel to men and women who have not been pregnant. Taking ayahuasca must be ideally done in a certain context, carefully weighting the pros and cons. As an example, if the pregnant feels she got in a certain state of mind that makes he very unhappy/stressful/depressive/etc and if she believes that an aya session will really and honestly help her cope and get better, then the odds are in favour of her taking ayahuasca since poor psychological strength can also be very detrimental to the conceptus.

soulfood
#20 Posted : 12/17/2010 5:50:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

When I smoke a good dose of DMT my body feels stressed until after the experience is over. As when pregnant, the baby is essentially still a part of the mothers body, I definately can't see this to be a good idea.

I don't think it would have any kind of toxic effect but I'd say there's a good chance it could fuck with the baby's vitals.

123NEXT»