We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Info about recrystallization? Options

tele
#1 Posted : 12/16/2010 4:22:40 PM
Explorer

Hi all,

what is the purpose of recrystallization and what is the easiest method to do it? And is it really necessary?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

SHroomtroll
#2 Posted : 12/16/2010 9:02:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have only used heptane and pulled white crystals, and so far i havent bothered with re-x. although i have melted all my crystals down with acetone to changa so i think that would clean em up aswell.

tele
#3 Posted : 12/16/2010 9:12:07 PM
Explorer

Redissolving in acetone seems to be easy method to purify, yea. However, can someone provide some links or info on how to recrystallize? Thanks!

tele
#4 Posted : 12/16/2010 9:24:08 PM
Explorer

dumbstruck
#5 Posted : 12/16/2010 9:31:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm? Acetone purification? I am not aware of this?

Merely dissolving your DMT in acetone and evaporating over leaves will not purify your product. Makes it vaporize a lot cleaner that straight spice though, so will be less harsh at the very least. Is there an acetone recrystallization or something I am unaware of?

tele
#6 Posted : 12/17/2010 11:27:07 AM
Explorer

dumbstruck wrote:
Hmm? Acetone purification? I am not aware of this?

Merely dissolving your DMT in acetone and evaporating over leaves will not purify your product. Makes it vaporize a lot cleaner that straight spice though, so will be less harsh at the very least. Is there an acetone recrystallization or something I am unaware of?

It's redissolving the crystals in acetone to get rid of possible unwanted traces of naphtha, not real "purification",though.

SHroomtroll
#7 Posted : 12/20/2010 9:16:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Probably not, but like i said ive puled white crystals that have tasted good so i haven´t bothered so far, probably when i make a big batch i will bother,

So far i have smoked or given away all my pulls right away so it wasnt worth the hastle, but if i would take my time and collect a few grams of spice i will probably try to see the difference.

Swarupa
#8 Posted : 12/20/2010 9:32:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
Hi all,

what is the purpose of recrystallization and what is the easiest method to do it? And is it really necessary?

With the tek you used (Q21) i'd say its not necessary, its mainly used for purifying yellow DMT to white/clear DMT.

Endlessness linked to a good thread he made about 'do i need to recrystallize my spice?' or something like that, it was good. I can't find it now, it should definitely be a sticky in the newbie extraction forum but it isn't just yet...

I re-X for the fun of growing crystals Smile

I like to add warm Naphtha with a glass pippette to an eyeballed amount of DMT 0.5-1g, adding just enough to dissolve all the DMT. The Naphtha should be warm so it is super saturated, room temp Naphtha will hold less DMT & may crash out less/no crystals at room temp. This is of course if it is covered & left at room temp, if you slow evap then whatever DMT is in the solvent will be left behind after the evap.

Once i have the warm saturated Naphtha i pour it into a petri dish or any glass dish, cover, and leave overnight at room temp, in the morning i pour off Naphtha leaving beautiful clear crystals stuck to the dish.

Crystal growing is my new favorite hobby, you must try it at least once...

I'm doing a few re-x's this week in the build up to Christmas, hoping to share some nice pics with the community, any tips would be much appreciated.