We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
When is DMT ready to smoke, after scraping it off? Options

tele
#1 Posted : 12/13/2010 10:39:55 PM
Explorer

Hi,

How long should scraped-off crystals be in the open air before they are ready for vaporizing/smoking?

Any visible naphtha evaporates before they are scraped off, but is there a need for further drying in open air?

THANKS

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 12/13/2010 10:43:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ideally one should redissolve in a (pure) less toxic solvent such as ethanol, IPA or acetone, and let it evap again.. This will take care that any solvent traces trapped inside crystal formations are freed and evaporated completely

Enoon
#3 Posted : 12/13/2010 10:43:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

I like to wait about a day, but I'm pretty sure they're fine even sooner. Try smelling them. If they smell like naphtha you will want to wait a little longer... If they seem a little wet, wait longer.
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Myco
#4 Posted : 12/13/2010 11:11:29 PM

73ฮผ

endlessness wrote:

Ideally one should redissolve in a (pure) less toxic solvent such as ethanol, IPA or acetone, and let it evap again.. This will take care that any solvent traces trapped inside crystal formations are freed and evaporated completely

If evaporating with isopropyl would you recommend gentle heating in a warm-water or oil bath?
arrive without traveling.

actualfactual
#5 Posted : 12/13/2010 11:25:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Myco wrote:
endlessness wrote:

If evaporating with isopropyl would you recommend gentle heating in a warm-water or oil bath?

No need to heat because it should go into solution easily. Only heat if you want the IPA to evaporate faster..

tele
#6 Posted : 12/14/2010 10:01:20 AM
Explorer

endlessness wrote:

Is this done easily? Can you explain how to do it or send a link with instructions?
thanks

The Traveler
#7 Posted : 12/14/2010 10:21:58 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

tele wrote:
endlessness wrote:

Is this done easily? Can you explain how to do it or send a link with instructions?
thanks

Step 1: Take a small glass
Step 2: Fill the glass with Ethenol,IPA or Acetone (whichever you have handy)
Step 3: Put your scraped up spice crystals in the same glass
Step 4: Stir a little bit and you will see that the DMT will easely dissolve
Step 5: Pour the content of the glass into a pyrex dish (or any other evap dish with a large surface)
Step 6: Let it completely dry
Step 7: Scrape up and chop it up with a razor blade into very fine crystals
Step 8: Let it sit for a day while chopping it up again once in a while

Fininsh!

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Enoon
#8 Posted : 12/14/2010 11:51:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

it will seem gooey at first if you use acetone/IPA. Don't worry about it, this is normal. It will turn waxy and semi-crystalline once you move it and chop it some and let it dry some more. It's def. not as pretty as freeze precipitated crystals but that shouldn't matter Razz
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

tele
#9 Posted : 12/14/2010 12:46:21 PM
Explorer

The Traveler wrote:

Step 5: Pour the content of the glass into a pyrex dish (or any other evap dish with a large surface)

Sounds easy, but just to make sure, couple questions:

-For about 200mg of crystals, how many milliliters would be enough(is it enough just to cover them)
-How long should the crystals sit in the substance after stirring?
-Most important: I suppose the crystals will be in different form after evaporating off the Acetone/substance, what should I expect it to look like? Some sort of crust on the bottom of the pyrex dish??

And is this step really necessary? Wouldn't it be enough just to chop the normal crystals into fine powder, to evaporate every last bit of naphtha that might be trapped in them?

Mpyra
#10 Posted : 12/14/2010 1:15:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
tele wrote:
endlessness wrote:

thanks

Fininsh!

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Hello, i was wondering why this would work? Surely unevaporable solvent traces would not evaporate by being redissolved into another solvent?

Or is it that the dirty solvent traces won't dissolve into the cleaner solvent, ethenol acetone etc.. ?

I am wondering if during a freeze precipiation extraction, as much dirty solvent elements are left remaining in the end result as opposed to the results of an evaporation extraction?

I am also curious as to whether redissolving a cleaner solvent, would be enough purification?

I have read that freeze precip/recrystalisation would remove lye + not leave dirty solvent elements, if using a cleaner solvent for reevaporization, then the only difference would be the possibiltiy of some lye remaining in the spice as the dirty to clean solvent evaporisation method would also not leave dirty solvent elements.

So it would not seem worth it to go through the extra effort of a recrystalisation method (all other things being equal) for a such a small amount of improvement of purity?

endlessness
#11 Posted : 12/14/2010 2:30:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are different kinds of impurities, some might be ok to have, others might be unwanted.

Regarding solvent traces, redissolving in a cleaner solvent will help get rid of it because the solvent (For example naphtha) might be trapped inside crystal formations and therefore not be able to evaporate. But when you redissolve the whole thing in a cleaner solvent, the crystal formations will be broken and the trapped solvent will be released. When it is released, it will mix with the cleaner solvent, diluting itself over that bigger volume, and will evaporate together as the other solvent evaporates. Does it make sense now?

Even freeze precipitated crystals will suffer from the same issue of quite possibly having trapped solvent because regardless of being in the freezer or not, fact is that crystals formed inside a solvent can trap small amounts of that solvent, so personally I would also recommend doing that redissolution and re-evap for freeze precipitated crystals.

Regarding lye and impurities and so on, check these threads/links out, maybe they can be of help:
Spice purity and color falacy: Is my spice ok to smoke?
FAQ: Should I wash my spice?

soulfood
#12 Posted : 12/14/2010 2:37:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Another great thing about the redissolving is that the resulting formation of DMT after an evap is much more managable than big chunks of crystal.

tele
#13 Posted : 12/14/2010 2:45:31 PM
Explorer

About redissolving, can someone please reply to these questions, as I wouldn't want to ruin first ever crystals!

-For about 200mg of crystals, how many milliliters would be enough(is it enough just to cover them)
-Most important: I suppose the crystals will be in different form after evaporating off the Acetone/substance, what should I expect it to look like? Some sort of crust on the bottom of the pyrex dish??

Opiyum
#14 Posted : 12/14/2010 5:57:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:

About redissolving, can someone please reply to these questions, as I wouldn't want to ruin first ever crystals!

1- You're going to want enough to completely dissolve the spice but not so much that it takes forever to evaporate. Covering them won't be an issue since they will soon be disappearing in solution.
2- Once again the point is to dissolve them and then evaporate them so they will sit there as long as it takes for the solvent to evaporate leaving nice white dry crystals behind.
3-I don't know what they look like now but in the end you should end up with a white/off-white powder.

As someone said the last stages of evaporation can be misleading. Sometimes an oily goo will be left on the dish but this will eventually start to solidify naturally, especially by mixing it around chopping it up a bit.

tele
#15 Posted : 12/14/2010 6:09:26 PM
Explorer

Great that really cleared it up!

DudeMeetTyler
#16 Posted : 12/15/2010 8:26:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So would dissolving your spice in acetone to make enhanced leaf also allow for naphtha impurities trapped in crystals to dissipate (i dont know why it wouldnt, but Im not sure hence the question lol)
"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be a sorry state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"

"My orders were to test the drug...It works" Bass Association by Far Too Loud

Profile Picture by David Aronson, http://www.alchemicalwedding.com/index.html

tele
#17 Posted : 12/18/2010 1:22:21 PM
Explorer

Another similar question: How many hours should the crystals be dried before scraping them off? That is, after pouring the naphtha off.

endlessness
#18 Posted : 12/18/2010 1:34:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yes dudemeetyler, acetone wold also help with that.

tele, just read above posts and the links I posted. There isnt a right amount of time because it depends on many factors.

Shaolin
#19 Posted : 12/18/2010 1:34:38 PM

Stiletto Stoner

^^I don't work with naptha but I believe you until the smell is gone.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

vovin
#20 Posted : 12/18/2010 3:21:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

tele wrote:
Another similar question: How many hours should the crystals be dried before scraping them off? That is, after pouring the naphtha off.

Scrape out your crystals and smell a can of naptha. Lay your crystals out and take a quick whiff you should smell the same naptha smell. When you can no longer detect that smell comming from your crystals you should be fine. I usually give it stir to make sure none is trapped. You shouldn't be able to smell it at all.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

12NEXT