We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
growing shrooms? Options

mistmann
#1 Posted : 12/12/2010 9:40:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ok so i have been reading that shrooms smell bad when there growing, i plan to make a little spot in my closet for them will it smell bad? is the smell really as bad as every one says? what can it be described as?

does any one have a good hydro - cake link for me to read on? ive been reading a little bit every were but im looking for complete thoughts?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

tele
#2 Posted : 12/12/2010 10:25:51 PM
Explorer

Visit shroomery.org with your questions, there are many experts.
Shrooms don't smell at all when they're growing as they are in closed container to keep the moisture in(altough the container is ventilated couple times per day.)

ragabr
#3 Posted : 12/12/2010 10:32:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Plenty of experts here as well. See, you already answered one of the two questions.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

Mindlusion
#4 Posted : 12/12/2010 11:19:25 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

The only smell from the actual mushrooms is during harvest time, and that is just a earthy mushroomy smell. I love it.

Dry them properly though, Rotten mushrooms have a strange, putrid yeast like smell.

Definitely go to the Shroomery, They have everything you need
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

MySmelf
#5 Posted : 12/13/2010 12:40:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You were reading that shrooms smell bad when they're growing? Where did you read that? I've never heard anyone say shrooms smell bad.

Anyway checkout this site: shroomotopia.net

I think its much better than the shroomery. Cool
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#6 Posted : 12/13/2010 1:16:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

http://forums.mycotopia.net/ is my preferred shroom resource.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

mistmann
#7 Posted : 12/13/2010 3:05:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

hey hey you all rock!

i just Googled do mushrooms smell when growing , and there was an article saying they smell bad!

ive been looking for the difference on hydro VS cake? is this one and the same? is there a large difference?

but its not going to leak out into my house and my roommate wont be able to tell the difference is kinda what im getting at? the checking it twice a day i think that will be ok cause i will do it wile she is asleep.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#8 Posted : 12/13/2010 10:05:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mistmann wrote:
hey hey you all rock!

i just Googled do mushrooms smell when growing , and there was an article saying they smell bad!

ive been looking for the difference on hydro VS cake? is this one and the same? is there a large difference?

but its not going to leak out into my house and my roommate wont be able to tell the difference is kinda what im getting at? the checking it twice a day i think that will be ok cause i will do it wile she is asleep.

There is absolutely no odour from a properly-maintained terrarium.

I have no idea what 'hydro' is. If it's some reference to hydroponics, you're way off base - hydroponics is the growing of plants (not fungus) in nutrified water; it has absolutely nothing to do with mushrooms or the growing thereof.

As a beginner you'll want to look into the PF tek. It's super easy and requires only easily purchased household goods and a sterile spore syringe. Once you've grown your mycelium cakes, you have to keep them in a well-ventilated chamber that is both humid, clean and exposed to daylight. Growing shrooms is not really something you can do under someone's nose while they're asleep, at least not outside of a comedy sketch.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

mistmann
#9 Posted : 12/13/2010 3:11:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok so my theriory about people selling "hydroponic shrooms" is a myth and they have no idea what there talking about.

Good, I like the pf tek it does look easy looked that one up to down, now I like the rye cakes on the pf tek better, and your saying I should not grow if my roomate can't find out correct?

Do you know any other tek's off hand that would be a good read novice or advanced? And mucinie amlia (sp) I know I spelled that wrong. But I've been looking for a good supplier, the red caps with white dots could some one also piont me in that direction? Cause to my understanding, they are legal in the USA and they need to be baked!!! chocolate truffles any one Pleased

Laban Shrewsbury III
#10 Posted : 12/13/2010 3:43:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you mean Amanita Muscaria?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

I've never tried them, nor do I much want to. You're right in that they can be heated and dried without losing potency.

If I were in your position I'd work on getting a more open-minded roommate. Or get started with oyster, reishi or other gourmet mushrooms - they're legal, healthy, potentially profitable and slightly trickier (and therefore more educational) to grow than psychoactive strains.

Ellis D'Empty
#11 Posted : 12/13/2010 4:03:13 PM

Snirfneblin

The biggest smell, and really the only smell from growing mushrooms come from the CO2 that they release. Unless your doing a big grow, you most likely won't encounter it. There is only a couple species known to grow under water and they are not cubensis or even "magical", however there are reports of trying to mate these shrooms with cybes... don't know anything else about it though.

About the smell: I had about 8 cakes in a large tub, and it smells up my room (tub was my in closet) because I didn't really keep FAEing. So as long as you keep constant FAE you'll be fine.
And if you have a shifty roommate, I'd recommend only growing 1-4 cakes. Actually I wouldn't grow them at all... unless your have good privacy in your room.

About different teks: Try the Rez tek, PF is ok, it works. Rez works better Pleased and is very easy. Just 1:1 spawn:verm mix.

About the other shrooms your talking about: Amanita muscaria... they are w/e. I'd recommend them in a tea of sorts. As I've had over an oz and felt slightly tired.
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

MySmelf
#12 Posted : 12/13/2010 6:43:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You might get away with growing one cake in a small self-contained terrarium using perlite in the bottom to keep the humidity high and a small warm light in the top. They don't need direct sunlight, just a little ambient light.

You can get about 3-4 trips maybe more (especially if you eat the primordia) out of one cake.
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

Myco
#13 Posted : 12/13/2010 6:56:48 PM

73μ

Actually, cross hybridization has successfully been done before with mushroom species. Not p. cubensis though.

A strain of a particular species is "two compatible hyphae coming together to exchange genetic information" (-source: shroomery). "When monokaryotic mycelium meets a compatible hyphae from another spore, they exchange information and the cell lines become dikaryotic, meaning two or more nuclei per cell" (source: Marc Keith <RogerRabbit>Pleased. The monokaryotic mycelium is the fluffy, whispy growth you see after first inoculating jars. The dikaryotic mycelium is faster growing and is the thick, white mycelia we look for in our grain spawn or PF-cakes.

No, growing shrooms doesn't smell. The only smell detectable is an earthy smell just like fresh mushrooms at the grocery store; pleasant if even detectable.

Cakes are good, but if you have a pressure cooker than cooking up grain jars or bags and spawning those to 6quart plastic trays along with a good bulk substrate is BETTER. For p cubensis I like to do 6quart trays of organic rye berries spawned to Coco-Coir (or Horse Manure), Vermiculite, Gypsum (calcium sulfate), Composted Chicken Manure (3%-5%). I would put these trays in either a "shotgun terrarium" or a small greenhouse setup (greenhouse setup also known as "martha-tek"Pleased.

If you need to be "stealthy" the best route is to forget growing mushrooms for the time being and instead purchase a pressure cooker and cultivate sclerotia. The following commercially available "strains" produce sclerotia: "ATL#7" is psilocybe galindoi. "A", "B", and "Jalisco" are strains of psilocybe mexicana. And "tampanensis" refers, of course, to psilocybe tampanensis. And all of them are classified within the section Mexicanae. Like all cubes are Cubensae. I recommend the popular "strain A" p mexicana, as do many others who have cultivated it. I never got to try jalisco or tampanensis because I wrecked the cultures, grrrr.

All you need to cultivate sclerotia is a pressure cooker, quart jars, and grain spawn. I also highly, highly recommend adding the 50/50 water/coffee soak to the grains and adding a pinch of gypsum (calcium sulfate) to the jars. A little light should be provided from either a window or a simple CFL bulb in the 6,500 kelvin temperature range. Sclerotia is more stealthy and easier to cultivate than cubensis even though cubensis is the beginner species for cultivators. Workman and Rogerrabbit over on the shroomery are responisble for much of what we now know about new methods in sclerotia cultivation.
arrive without traveling.

mistmann
#14 Posted : 12/14/2010 2:36:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok so, I have decided it's best not to grow the magic mushrooms I am a little bummed.

But! Has any one ever tried to grow like the expensive black/white truffles? I think I could start there as a learning process and when I get new room mates I'll have exp in what I need to do? Thank you all foe your input!