We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
making calcium hydroxide. Options

Tangarine_Dreams
#1 Posted : 12/7/2010 3:54:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i cant find this stuff and before i buy it id like to know if i can just mix NaOH and calcium chloride, then separate the salt and caoh. ive read the formula for this but i donot know if it will be viable for me. i am using this with bufo.

does anyone know how to separate the two? also there is fumaric acid in KCl salt replacement for old ppl. could i just add this to acetone until all the FA has saturated the acetone then fraction off the layer of potassium salt?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Opiyum
#2 Posted : 12/7/2010 4:30:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm guessing you have tried but what about Jim-Jam or Maya?

Tangarine_Dreams
#3 Posted : 12/7/2010 4:42:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i am not interested in the raw state of alkaloids. i know it is good and can be better or give a more full experience, but i require pure crystals for my own reasons. i havent used ANY of the last 10g of dmt ive produced. i havent done it since before i could grow clear or even pull white spice. i just love love love extraction and isolation science.

and no i dont sell it. i use it rarely, give some away, and the rest gets put in a sealed vial and placed in a collection of different crystals, colors, oxide to nn ratios etc.

i plan to do the bufo tho. then start archiving it like my dmt.

i didnt read a single post saying to use sodium carbonate until i came back form the fish store without it cause everything i read was calcium based... BAH.

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 12/7/2010 10:18:01 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Yes, you can easily make calcium hydroxide from NaOH and CaCl2. SWIM has done it in the past for his bufo extractions, it is very straightforward. You can make a strong solution of NaOH, and a strong solution of CaCl2 and then slowly add the CaCl2 into the NaOH solution. Quickly thick white precipitates will form, this is your calcium hydroxide. Add CaCl2 till no precipitates form, this will tell you when all the NaOH has been used up.

This solution now will have in the end NaCl, traces of CaCl2 and Ca(OH)2. Ca(OH)2 will be poorly soluble and will be always precipitating so if you wash the white precipitate with water with just water 3-4 times you'll get rid of all the CaCl2 traces and most of the NaCl. The Ca(OH)2 precipitates can be dried or used as such. Even if there're traces of NaCl in your final solution this is not going to pose any problems.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Tangarine_Dreams
#5 Posted : 12/7/2010 4:13:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

exactly what i hoped to hear =]

sigmundfreuid
#6 Posted : 12/8/2010 2:05:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Infundibulum ,sounds so easy,and all the ingredients are easy to find,this should be stickied .

one thing i was wondering,would this be cheaper than ordering it in bulk ?
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

Tangarine_Dreams
#7 Posted : 12/8/2010 4:54:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

well anywhere with an aquarium isle sell cacl solution. they have clean h2so4, sodium carbonate, calcium chlorate. some stores will sell kalkwasser, which is clean calcium carbonate solution.

while we are on the subject, is there any reason to buy sodium carbonate when you can just bake baking soda?

as per if its cheaper, ive gotta figure out the conc of this cal clor sol.

Tangarine_Dreams
#8 Posted : 12/8/2010 6:24:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

the first few drips of this way AWESOME. very pretty.

Virola78
#9 Posted : 12/8/2010 5:05:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tangarine_Dreams wrote:
well anywhere with an aquarium isle sell cacl solution. they have clean h2so4, sodium carbonate, calcium chlorate. some stores will sell kalkwasser, which is clean calcium carbonate solution.

while we are on the subject, is there any reason to buy sodium carbonate when you can just bake baking soda?

as per if its cheaper, ive gotta figure out the conc of this cal clor sol.

hmmm im using 'kalkwasser' (powder) to satisfying succes.
Im quite sure it is calcium hydroxide. At least it says so on the label...
and it wont easily dissolve in water.

They dont sell it where you live?
Strange...

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Tangarine_Dreams
#10 Posted : 12/9/2010 5:43:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

kalkwasser is a bit archaic in the fish world. it adds calcium, but it raises ph. this means addition of ph down which raises the tds of the fish water. over time you get salt accumulations and kill your fish. ive killed pot plants this way too :[
so whats sold more often now, atleast at petco type shops, is calcium chloride because it adds calcium but does not change the ph.

fish tank ph up is sodium carbonate, ph down is sulf acid, calcium solution is calcium chloride. plant/hydroponic ph up and down is a mix of tons of stuff.

tryptographer
#11 Posted : 12/11/2010 7:20:24 PM

tryptamine photographer

It's been done for thousands of years by strongly heating calcium carbonate, and then adding water to the calcium oxide that's formed (a great drying agent for solvents btw). If there are no other strong bases like NaOH available it's an option, but the CaCO3 must be heated until it glows yellow (>825 C), which can be problematic in a home setting.

Also, don't leave strong bases exposed to the air for long, they suck CO2 from the air and are converted to carbonate!