We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
kitchen decanter? Options

jbark
#1 Posted : 12/6/2010 1:18:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone ever use one of these for separating solvent from either an A/B or STB solution? Looks like it would be pretty handy, and it's all glass and the tenth of the price (at least) of a used sep funnel.

I am thinking of ordering one.

JBArk

EDIT: here's another, with a stainless lid, pictured in action.

EDIT 2 : oops I think that second one is plastic. just shows you need to be careful... I left it up for the action poseCool
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 12/6/2010 1:56:35 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Yes, 69ron first brought this thing up, according to him kitchen decanters or gravy separators are fine to use as long as they're not made of an incompatible plastic. They most certainly do the job (after all, they're used for separating layers!) but I would think they're as precise as a sep fun. In cooking you do not care too much if you lose 20-30ml of, say a fraction, but for extractions it is a considerable amount.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

jbark
#3 Posted : 12/6/2010 2:30:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya, that's true, but with the spout end, you could probably do it and only leave a few tiny drops in your solvent, then pour that bit out (maybe 50ml with the polluting basic solution drops) and decant the solvent from the small amount and add it back to the main solvent. Simpler than my method of 4-5 decanting grad cylinders!!

And at 85 bucks + tax locally for a 150ml glass grad cylinder, it sure is a cheap alternative. And it holds 4 cups/1 liter, so it would be perfect for me with a 200-300g MHRB extraction: I use 3-4 1L mason jars, so a first rough decant of all the jars into this grease separator would mean I could combine the separations and also minimize loss.

Still looking for a real downside...

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 12/6/2010 3:09:26 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

jbark wrote:
Still looking for a real downside...

JBArk

Well, then there's really not a great downside!

Just make sure you read the reviews in case some model is flimsy or something.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Trickster
#5 Posted : 12/6/2010 10:10:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

jbark wrote:
And at 85 bucks + tax locally for a 150ml glass grad cylinder, it sure is a cheap alternative.
Shocked

Why bother if 1L sep funnel with teflon stopcock could be bought for $40.

Beats any other contraption hands down.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Tangarine_Dreams
#6 Posted : 12/6/2010 11:27:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=17470

more useful tool for floating solvents. also less mixing of layers.

also for stb and a 1L sep, u can make/buy a bitting for the top that will fit a hose. turn the sep upsidedown and for liquid into the tube. this forces the top solvent outthe exit of the sep and into a tube. bi to complex tho thats why i did the jug thing.

DoingKermit
#7 Posted : 12/6/2010 11:53:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I bought a gravy separator recently to use for extractions, but i have yet to try it out. I think it is a better option to save a bit of extra cashola and get a sep funnel. I want santa to give me one for Christmas Smile

If only...

Trickster
#8 Posted : 12/6/2010 11:56:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Tangarine_Dreams wrote:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17470

more useful tool for floating solvents. also less mixing of layers.

also for stb and a 1L sep, u can make/buy a bitting for the top that will fit a hose. turn the sep upsidedown and for liquid into the tube. this forces the top solvent outthe exit of the sep and into a tube. bi to complex tho thats why i did the jug thing.

That's a very clever contraption but much less versatile than a sep funnel. You'll have to have separate devices for different amounts of mhrb. It also looks a bit, m-m-m ... unsafe. You'll have to fill it almost exactly to its capacity, otherwise squeezing the bottle will be very dangerous, if possible at all. Suppose you have to add more water/lye to your solution. There will be not enough room for naphta. What would you do with the excess basic solution?

What do you mean by
Tangarine_Dreams wrote:
less mixing of layers
?

Tangarine_Dreams
#9 Posted : 12/7/2010 4:26:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i dont see how its unsafe. i just dont understand how it not being full is dangerous? i have both a sep and this, but i do altered stb so the sep is useless to me. if u did it in a sep ud have to filter it, and when u drain the base liquid it would stick to the sides contaminating the solvent as the solvent went down.

with dmt u always have more liquid than solvent so it makes more since to move the solvent not the liquid. i would much rather be moving a fishy smelling hydrocarbon than naoh juice!

with a decanter u would be shifting the liquids causing mixing at the separation layer. causing you to never be able to get a totally base liquid free solvent.

with the device in my pic u just run the tube to yr jar, squeeze until the base layer hits the bottom of the hose barb. u can then just pull the tube out of yr jar and let go of the bottle, or you can keep it squeezed and screw the cap off a bit. this makes all the solvent in the line run into your jar.

also a trick of this device, if u have extra air in it u can squeeze some out, then quickly letgo and it blows down into the center causing a firm ripple and shockwave which breaks up emulsions really well or atleast causes them to break quicker than just lettign the jug sit.

i just took about 15pics of me doing it that i will post to the orig thread and link here once i do it.

also, only one device is needed. just multiple jugs. i use a 500ml, a 1L, a 2L and a 1gal jug for diff amounts.

Trickster
#10 Posted : 12/7/2010 11:24:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Tangarine_Dreams wrote:
i dont see how its unsafe. i just dont understand how it not being full is dangerous?

You'd have to squeeze it real hard to displace the air and the bottle may get deformed enough so that the cap will no longer seal the bottle hermetically. Of course, this is just a conjecture, because I do not have the real thing.

I agree that a sep funnel is useless for STB because the plant matter will clog it. I did my last STB 3 years ago and completely forgot how difficult it is to separate NPS from the thick basic goo. That's why I love A/B teks. I can do 6 pulls in less than an hour collecting NPS to the last drop each time.

Rivea
#11 Posted : 12/8/2010 12:43:07 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

The second grease separator is made from glass with a stainless steel top by the way. Looks excellent for making gravy and sauces. I have a plastic one that I would not get within 10 feet of an extraction.

Trickster wrote:
Tangarine_Dreams wrote:
i dont see how its unsafe. i just dont understand how it not being full is dangerous?

You'd have to squeeze it real hard to displace the air and the bottle may get deformed enough so that the cap will no longer seal the bottle hermetically. Of course, this is just a conjecture, because I do not have the real thing.

I agree that a sep funnel is useless for STB because the plant matter will clog it. I did my last STB 3 years ago and completely forgot how difficult it is to separate NPS from the thick basic goo. That's why I love A/B teks. I can do 6 pulls in less than an hour collecting NPS to the last drop each time.

I agree. It is easy to pull 6 or 8 times in an hour with a separation funnel. A/B extractions rule! STB looks like an ugly mess to me and that is why I have not done one. Because you need tons of lye to do the job, I will skip on it too. With an AB one can extract 100 grams of MHRB with no more than about 10 grams of lye and get good yields.
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

aetherbound
#12 Posted : 12/8/2010 2:37:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just wondering if anyone else noticed the items under "Customers that viewed this item also viewed"?
Such as Baster, Pickling Lime , Calcium Hydroxide, Coffee Press, ...Hmmm...Makes ya wonderSmile
In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order..Jung
All above writing with the exception of Dr. Jung's quote is pure mushroom encrusted cowpie!

Tangarine_Dreams
#13 Posted : 12/8/2010 4:15:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

there is little deformation of the jug. i pinch it with my thumb and midle and ring fingers. i do see what you say tho. this is my first time using plastic anything. it bothers me. but my product is sooo much better and easyer.

my guess, as a man of science, is that ab is better, but done the perfect way(perfect way is subjective to each person) it is foolproof and very quick. it was a horrid mess until i began using http://ilrc.ucf.edu/sample_detail.php?sample_id=30 . naphtha pulls everything. and if its hot it pulls just as much as xylol.

i am lucky enough to have lye OTC 1 killo at a time for 12USD. very pure drainc leaner is available in my area. but it is a HUGE PPITA to neutralize. i actually have about 5-7gal of base liquid waiting in sangria jugs for a day i can do a massive xylene salting and then neutralization.

is this tool inthe OP's link good for AB? i have never done an ab for mhrb, just things liek salvia ages ago.