We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pre-evaporation before freezing? (AB tek without lye) Options

tele
#1 Posted : 12/4/2010 2:13:24 PM
Explorer

Hey all,

Is it necessary to pre-evaporate some of the naphtha before placing the precipitation jar into the freezer?

I am interested in this tek (without the use of lye), is pre evaporation necessary?

http://www.shroomery.org...flat.php/Number/11776426

BTW, it seems like easy, safe and well yielding method, is there any other similar on the board?

I hope to get answer here, otherwise I'll just have to head to the "non-newb area...

BTW, we are all very blessed to even know about such holy molecule as DMT!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

gammagore
#2 Posted : 12/4/2010 3:41:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

q21q21 tek, take a look in the wiki link at the top of the page for this and other teks.

If the naptha is nicely saturated then no need to pre-evap. Easy way to test if its saturated is by blowing on the naptha after you have collected it, if it clouds when blown on then its ready for the freezer.

Trickster
#3 Posted : 12/5/2010 12:58:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

gammagore wrote:

If the naptha is nicely saturated then no need to pre-evap. Easy way to test if its saturated is by blowing on the naptha after you have collected it, if it clouds when blown on then its ready for the freezer.

IMO, if you really try to squeeze every bit of spice from your bark, your naphta will not be saturated.

I do not use Naphta, only Hexane or Heptane and I pre-evap it regularly. It is easy. Heat it slightly (~50C, NO OPEN FLAME) and put it under a fan. You can easily reduce 100 - 200 ml of it in an hour.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

tele
#4 Posted : 12/5/2010 10:29:02 AM
Explorer

https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m.../Lime_A/B_Extraction_Tek

So that's the same tek with more info... Seems good!

Can you tell me, what's the point of pre-evaporation?

If I would extract 50g batch of MHRB, is there really need to evaporate some of the naphtha from the precipitation jar before putting it in the freezer?

So if it's saturated it's ready for freezer, or should I put the naphtha straight to freezer?

gammagore
#5 Posted : 12/5/2010 11:24:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The point of pre-evap is to make sure that the naptha is saturated enough to allow the DMT to crash out easier when you put it into the freezer. If its not saturated enough it will take longer for the DMT to crash out, some DMT might even stay in the naptha(if not saturated enough and if the freezer isnt cold enough).

When the naptha is saturated enough for the freeze, then put it in there. I usualy use some sort of pyrex dish or some other smaller glass dish(for smaller freeze precips) covered with a few layers of clingfilm/saran wrap.

Take a look at this - How much to evap before freeze precip

Swarupa
#6 Posted : 12/5/2010 3:34:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've found that with Q21's tek w/Naphtha no matter how unsaturated the solvent is whatever DMT is in there will precip out, its quite reliable so far witnessing the decreasing yields of spice when using the same Naphtha over & over, this tek already loses a fair amount of Naphtha in the mud/mix so i really would never evap too much Napththa at any stage, even before freeze precip.

gammagore wrote:
I usualy use some sort of pyrex dish

I also think using a glass dish is wise as then there is a larger surface area for precipitation to happen

tele wrote:

BTW, we are all very blessed to even know about such holy molecule as DMT!

Welcome to the nexus!

Trickster
#7 Posted : 12/6/2010 1:52:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Chronic wrote:
I've found that with Q21's tek w/Naphtha no matter how unsaturated the solvent is whatever DMT is in there will precip out,

The tek is not relevant. The spice will percipitate until it reaches the maximum solubility at a particular temp. Even at low temp like in your freezer its solubility is not zero. Therefore some spice will always remain in naphta. So, more naphta in your freeze-precip jar always means more losses. It is that simple.

Chronic wrote:
... this tek already loses a fair amount of Naphtha in the mud/mix so i really would never evap too much Napththa at any stage, even before freeze precip.

Then use a more Naphta-efficient tekWink .

Chronic wrote:
I also think using a glass dish is wise as then there is a larger surface area for precipitation to happen

This may be important for evaporation but irrelevant for freeze-precipitation. On the contrary, I prefer narrower jugs, because then all the spice is in one compact heap that is easier to scrape off without smearing the sticky crystalls over a large area.

Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Swarupa
#8 Posted : 12/6/2010 11:34:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Fair enough, each to his own Wink

Swarupa
#9 Posted : 12/11/2010 11:50:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Trickster wrote:
Chronic wrote:
I've found that with Q21's tek w/Naphtha no matter how unsaturated the solvent is whatever DMT is in there will precip out,

The tek is not relevant. The spice will percipitate until it reaches the maximum solubility at a particular temp. Even at low temp like in your freezer its solubility is not zero. Therefore some spice will always remain in naphta.

So true, on the 5th pull of my current extraction i left my glass dish in the freezer for almost a week instead of 24 hours & i got as much spice as i did with the first pull, if not more!