We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sodium in my eye! Options

stolpioni
#1 Posted : 11/26/2010 3:46:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From cooking!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ellis D'Empty
#2 Posted : 11/26/2010 3:50:20 AM

Snirfneblin

Only time will tell, I hope you learned from the experience though! Always use protection Pleased Pleased

Anyways, it sounds as if it's not Lye, because I imagine that would have burned incredibly right away. Probably just an eyelash and your own mind. Or some dust or something of that nature. Just don't rub it, squirt in some Visine or other eye drops and report back. Smile

Hope everything ends up well Smile
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

stolpioni
#3 Posted : 11/26/2010 3:56:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kevyn The Khem wrote:
Only time will tell, I hope you learned from the experience though! Always use protection Pleased Pleased

Anyways, it sounds as if it's not Lye, because I imagine that would have burned incredibly right away. Probably just an eyelash and your own mind. Or some dust or something of that nature. Just don't rub it, squirt in some Visine or other eye drops and report back. Smile

Hope everything ends up well Smile

I THINK it burned quite a bit for a second or two when I threw water into my eye (I used my hands that probably had some Sodium left on them). I threw water into both of my eyes but it only burned in my right eye. So I hope my left eye is safe, better then being blind on both eyes!
I have used Visine drops multiple times but doesnt seem to make any difference.

How long time do you think it will take? Is blindness the only thing that will happen eventually or can it just leave me with a reduced eyesight?

Ellis D'Empty
#4 Posted : 11/26/2010 4:01:59 AM

Snirfneblin

Well, if you washed your hands with soap and water, (you would only need water tbh) you probably got soap in your eye. Because lye would burn, or irritate, your skin as well.

So honestly, I think your THINKing to much into it and I'm sure you'll be fine. Smile

However, if you really thing something is up go to a doctor.

I don't know much about what will happen, but if it causes blindness then I'm sure it can just cause slight loss of sight as well, but like I said I'm sure you'd know by now. As I'm very careful with my extractions, I don't know what lye burn feels like.

Also, you should keep vinegar on hand from now on Pleased Just in case.

As for time, again I think (I'm not expert) that it would have already done its damage by now instead of waiting even 3 days to fully blind you.
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

stolpioni
#5 Posted : 11/26/2010 4:16:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kevyn The Khem wrote:
Well, if you washed your hands with soap and water, (you would only need water tbh) you probably got soap in your eye. Because lye would burn, or irritate, your skin as well.

So honestly, I think your THINKing to much into it and I'm sure you'll be fine. Smile

However, if you really thing something is up go to a doctor.

I don't know much about what will happen, but if it causes blindness then I'm sure it can just cause slight loss of sight as well, but like I said I'm sure you'd know by now. As I'm very careful with my extractions, I don't know what lye burn feels like.

Also, you should keep vinegar on hand from now on Pleased Just in case.

As for time, again I think (I'm not expert) that it would have already done its damage by now instead of waiting even 3 days to fully blind you.

Thanks.

Ellis D'Empty
#6 Posted : 11/26/2010 4:24:58 AM

Snirfneblin

Nah man, just say you were cleaning your drains and it might have splashed in your eye. So you hurried and rinsed with water. No problem man Pleased

vovin
#7 Posted : 11/26/2010 4:31:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

I got a pretty sever chemical burn to my eyes months back had nothing to do with extraction. I went to the eye doctor and he said to get a gel eyedrop that you can get at the pharmacy stores over the counter. Unlike regular eye drops it will stay in the eyes a lot easier. It did miracles for me in a matter of a couple days I was back to normal. I was so bad off I couldn't even see and light caused extreme pain.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

pau
#8 Posted : 11/26/2010 5:15:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Went to the ER once with an eye injury from severe poke... doc said to put up with the terrible bluriness for a week or two...that the eye of all our organs has an incredible ability to heal itself...he was right...saw normally in 10 days.
WHOA!

stolpioni
#9 Posted : 11/26/2010 7:40:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's better now, no worries.

dmt005
#10 Posted : 11/26/2010 8:01:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Seems as though so far you have gotten some good advice. If you feel the need you might want to go to the eye doctor and see what they say. Sorry to hear about this.

I am going to share something SWIM has told me she does after she is done working with her basic materials ( SWIM is probably overly cautious ). After she is done " working " she will take a small amount of vinegar and wash her hands with it and then do a soap wash with water. Again probably not a necessary thing to do but she does.

For the future I would suggest placing your work materials ( IE towels and anything else used while "working" ) in a separate area.

I hope all turns out well for you .

Potter
#11 Posted : 11/30/2010 2:27:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm glad you went, you should have gone sooner. Why? Try spending a day with an eyepatch, go driving, playing some games, shit like that, then imagine that as the rest of your life.

Do make sure to get a first aid kit that includes treatment for chemical burns and a proper eye wash.

Don't drive with an eyepatch, that's really dangerous