We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salvaging additional DMT N-Oxide after hot naptha extract Options

mumbles
#1 Posted : 11/24/2010 7:39:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright so swim is interested in collecting the n-oxide in the basic solution that hot naptha won't extract so whats the best way to go about this? The idea so far is to extract the basic solution with xylene, wash that with vinegar acidified water. Make the aq solution basic with NaOH then extract with DCM and evaporate the DCM and scrape the oil around until it solidifies into a waxy yellow solid. However I'm sure there will be a degree of plant oils present (acacia bark). Any ideas how to separate plant oils and n-oxide short of doing a reduction with zinc?

After some searches another somewhat quicker idea would be to just extract with xylene then wash with vinegar and boil off that vinegar on a double boiler.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Elf Machine
#2 Posted : 12/1/2010 5:00:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Your origional idea would work fine and there would be very little plant oils if you would be acidifying between non-polar extractions.

idtravlr
#3 Posted : 12/1/2010 6:03:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mumbles wrote:

After some searches another somewhat quicker idea would be to just extract with xylene then wash with vinegar and boil off that vinegar on a double boiler.

I've had significant yields doing a similar method, except using limonene instead of xylene. I then basified the n-oxides with Ca(OH)2 because it was faster than trying to get the acetate goo to solidify. I do hate evaping vinegar however. The stink is strong and lingering. Pewwww!

With Humility,
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna