We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
first extraction. STB coupla questions! Options

Inkling63
#1 Posted : 11/23/2010 10:50:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

500g Mhrb
2hlf litre water
200g's lye
Let it sit, stired, rolled, shook, 3hrs.
6 naptha pulls of 300mltrs newport fluid. Starting saturday evning, ending monday morning.

Pooled it all together, pored it into a pirex bowl, into the freezer whrere its now sitting.

Few questions are,
Is it worth doing any more pulls?

After transfering it all to the pirex bowl The glass jar i pooled them all into has residue remaining, tiny tiny bits of bark and residue. Just plant fats or also spice? Has stayed at uk room temp.

im not in a living situation where i can evap. Was thinking after 24hrs
Whip it out the freezer, pour off half the naptha then bung it back for another day or so. Use the naptha for more pulls on the same batch?

Also, if youve been turning it n rolling it around for 10 minutes then sleep n dont actually pull till the morning, is anything lost? The morning naptha pull was very clear!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

bluntmuffin
#2 Posted : 11/23/2010 11:22:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You may want to do a few pulls with xylene if you can get it, this would bring out 'dark spice'.

#3 Posted : 11/23/2010 11:32:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Firstly, you are not using enough lye or water for that amount of MHRB according to the teks. I'm sure it will still work, but maybe not as well as it could have.

It may be worth doing more pulls. It is useful for your last pull to freeze it separately, then you can see what the yield was and if you think its worth doing another. On 500g bark, even a small pull may yield 300mg, so worth investigating.

The residue you describe is probably just fats and contaminated water that you pulled with the naptha. Clen it up with SC washes and re-xing.

You can re -use the naptha as you have described, yes. Obviously this wont increase the saturation of the naptha you leave in the fridge, so leaving for another 24 hours will probably not get any more spice to precipitate.

On the last few pulls, it is probably better to leave it for a while, like overnight. On my last pulls, I heat the naptha and then mix it more vigorously than normal. I let it settle, and then do it again a few more times. I then leave it longer to separate fully. This may increase the yield on the last pulls.
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Inkling63
#4 Posted : 11/23/2010 12:17:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thank you very much for such speedy and lengthy reply! Much appreciated. I followed the lazy mans tek for the water lye ratio, it statea, 200gs for 2000 - 3000ml water with 400-500gs of bark. Am i being stupid here?! Hah, i can see what u mean though if i look to normans tek it would about 7litres!

As for all the other stuff thats really helpful. Things are falling into place. I've heard mention of a 30 something to 72hr freezing period (dmt hand book) do most people feel this is unnesisarry?

Inkling63
#5 Posted : 11/23/2010 12:28:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thank you very much for such speedy and lengthy reply! Much appreciated. I followed the lazy mans tek for the water lye ratio, it statea, 200gs for 2000 - 3000ml water with 400-500gs of bark. Am i being stupid here?! Hah, i can see what u mean though if i look to normans tek it would about 7litres!

#6 Posted : 11/23/2010 1:11:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, I have used Nomans in the past - I guess 2.5L is sufficient, but that seems like a lot of plant matter for a small amount of water to me.

Re: freeze times, do a search (google is generally better than the nexus search) as there are probably loads of threads on this. In my own experiments, I have found the long freeze times to be unessessary. I have had 500ml of naptha precipitate everything in about 4 hours. This was in a very cold freezer though. You can do your own tests and experiments by evapping a bit of the remaining solvent and seeing if there is any spice left.

I think you learn more about the process by changing stuff around a little, getting it a bit wrong, and fixing it. That way you understand in more depth why each process is done and what you can safely change about it. Just dont throw stuff away if you think it has gone wrong, it is nearly always salvageable.
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Ellis D'Empty
#7 Posted : 11/23/2010 2:18:53 PM

Snirfneblin

I would definitely advise when you are doing your pulls (while the naphtha is still in the mix) to run HOT water over it, or put in a hot water bath for awhile (1 mins or so under hot running water, 5-10 in the bath) ((A good way to bath is just fill sink with boiling water, then dip the jars in them)) A lot of teks dont say this, and it WILL help with the pulls Smile

Another thing, you should for sure evap before freeze precip. even if it's just 25%.... it still helps.
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.