We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The pKa and XlogP values of DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-HO-DMT, and related compounds Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 7/8/2008 1:54:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The pKa values of DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-HO-DMT, and related compounds.

amino group pKa - Alkaloid
8.68 - DMT (dimethyltryptamine)
?.?? - DMT N-Oxide (dimethyltryptamine N-Oxide)
?.?? - 5-MeO-DMT (methoxybufotenin)
?.?? - 5-MeO-DMT N-Oxide (methoxybufotenin N-Oxide)
9.67 - 5-HO-DMT (bufotenine)
?.?? - 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide (bufotenine N-Oxide)
8.47 - 4-HO-DMT (psilocin)
?.?? - O-phosphoryl-4-HO-DMT (psilocybin)

hydroxyl group pKa - Alkaloid
?.?? - 5-HO-DMT (bufotenine)
?.?? - 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide (bufotenine N-Oxide)
?.?? - 4-HO-DMT (psilocin)

XlogP - Alkaloid
2.0 - DMT (dimethyltryptamine)
1.7 - DMT N-Oxide (dimethyltryptamine N-Oxide)
1.9 - 5-MeO-DMT (methoxybufotenin)
?.? - 5-MeO-DMT N-Oxide (methoxybufotenin N-Oxide)
1.6 - 5-HO-DMT (bufotenine)
1.3 - 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide (bufotenine N-Oxide)
1.6 - 4-HO-DMT (psilocin)
0.2 - O-phosphoryl-4-HO-DMT (psilocybin)

I cannot find some of the pKa values. The hydroxyl groups of psilocin and bufotenine are apparently weakly acidic, but I can't find their pKa values. If anyone knows their pKa please post it! Also, what use is the hydroxyl group’s pKa of psilocin and bufotenine? Can a strong base react with them?

Human blood has a pH of about 7.4. In order for an alkaloid to cross the blood brain barrier easily, it’s pKa should be close to or lower than 7.4 or else too much of the drug will get ionized when it comes into contact with human blood. Ionized drugs do not normally enter the brain. Also the XlogP should be high (about 1.5 or higher), meaning it’s water soluble should be low. A drug with a low XlogP will affect the body more than the brain. So for hallucinogens you want a high XlogP, the higher the better. The pKa of LSD is 7.8 and it’s XlogP is 2.1. Because of it’s high XlogP and it’s low pKa, it can very easily enter the brain. This is one reason why it is so potent compared to DMT, it's pKa is much lower and it's XlogP is higher.

XlogP and pKa aren't the only things that affect a drug's potency, but they are factors.

For extraction purposes SWIM really wants to know the pKa 5-MeO-DMT. It has a lower XlogP than DMT, and it absorbs better sublingually and is about 5-10 times stronger than DMT, so this means that its pKa is probably much lower than that of DMT.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

KUSHMASTER
#2 Posted : 7/8/2008 2:49:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmmm. Interesting. you learn something new everyday.

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a character based on other people) obtained a license for said activity or did said activity where it is legal to do so.