We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
comments in news articles Options

burnt
#1 Posted : 11/16/2010 4:56:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Do you ever read the comments section on websites with news articles? I do especially when it comes to articles about drugs. The profound ignorance displayed by posters really makes me think winning the war on drugs through public support is hopeless. People are way too fucking dumb. I know its a small percentage of people that post on such news sites but still sometimes the ignorance displayed by people really sickens me.

The only hope might be through collapse of the prison industrial complex that fuels this war. I dunno. Education, science, activism. It all helps but when people are too stupid to listen or care is there any reason to be hopeful?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Electric.Sight
#2 Posted : 11/16/2010 5:17:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've read my fair share of comments like this.Shocked
It really gets me how many people are willing to blindly defend the war on drugs and prohibition without ever trying a drug or researching things for themselves. I see way too much D.A.R.E. "drugs are bad mkay" logic going around today.
It's sad really.
Disclaimer: All Entheogens and other research materials are not for Human consumption! I have researched by text the effects of consuming such things in case of accidental consumption. I have never actually consumed any of the materials I speak about and it should be assumed I'm speaking hypothetically. I have a wild imagination.

Methtical
#3 Posted : 11/16/2010 5:50:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Know what you mean, but on the bright side I have also noticed an increase in the number of comments by people who obviously have got a clue challenging those senseless uneducated comments, so it's encouraging to see that more and more people are educating themselves about these issues, to what avail who knows.

I also tend to think the people who made ignorant comments on stories related to drugs especially are the type that are easily led and influenced by tabloid propaganda.

I think it's a generation thing as well, in that the older people in society are still reeling off the message that drugs are bad, no exceptions, nothing positive can come from them, end of story, but I don't think this is so prevalent in the younger generations of society, so I would like to think that as the years go on, tolerance will increase, and with it a desire to explore and educate in a more desirable fashion rather than simply banging out the "Drugs are bad" dead horse.

Methical

Malaclypse
#4 Posted : 11/16/2010 5:52:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A big issue isn't just the "drugs are bad" people. A lot of the people commenting on the pro drug side sound ignorant as well. There are a lot of people there using bad information and just a general tone that I do not want speaking for me on the matter of making drugs legal as they seem to be doing people like those here on the nexus a disservice.

I hope a lot of it is just the internet meme phenomenon, because outside of this forum almost ever other forum and comments on youtube and things like newspaper articles are filled with the same type of crap outside the world of drugs. Politics can be even funnier to read comments on. Personally I rarely if ever make any comments in those type of places as they just turn into flame fests and I don't really want to get involved. Trying to maintain balance and reach people in comment sections seems very difficult and not worth the effort.

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 11/16/2010 6:15:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

I think things will change as the subsequent generations who have tried these nefarious chemicals reach positions of authority.But this will only happen when American power and arm-twisitng ability diminishes and the Religious Right are less able to establish the agenda.After all it was the Harrison Act emanating from the US that really destroyed any objective assessment of the downsides of drug use.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

polytrip
#6 Posted : 11/16/2010 6:42:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I hope that those people aren´t representative for the level of intelligence among the general population.
But basically i think that cannot be the case. If 40% of americans have smoked cannabis at least once in their lifetime, than the general public should have a bit more knowledge about cannabis and what it actually does. Actually, anyone who made it through highschool should know that there is a difference between cannabis and methamfetamine.

For a great part it´s probably just hypocrisy :'i never touched the stuff and besides, i didn´t inhale, and when i did it was by accident because i had to caugh...wich wasn´t because i smoked it before, and also it was by accident because i thought it was a normal cigarette, and they forced me into it, and when i got high i surely didn´t find it enjoyable'.

BananaForeskin
#7 Posted : 11/16/2010 8:19:52 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

You gotta forgive some of 'em, but I know what you mean.

On the Sun's DMT bust article, there were some comments like: "Why would anyone consciously take a drug that's terrifying, addictive, and totally destroys your brain?!"
And I was thinking, gee, that doesn't make sense, why don't you double-check the flipping facts to see which part of that isn't right?

¤ø¸โ€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸โ€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸โ€žø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

burnt
#8 Posted : 11/16/2010 8:48:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
I hope that those people aren´t representative for the level of intelligence among the general population.
But basically i think that cannot be the case. If 40% of americans have smoked cannabis at least once in their lifetime, than the general public should have a bit more knowledge about cannabis and what it actually does.

Yet legalization still failed in california... California! Of all places! Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

Quote:
I think things will change as the subsequent generations who have tried these nefarious chemicals reach positions of authority.But this will only happen when American power and arm-twisitng ability diminishes and the Religious Right are less able to establish the agenda.After all it was the Harrison Act emanating from the US that really destroyed any objective assessment of the downsides of drug use.

Sadly America is responsible for the drug wars continuation in most of the world. I blame it on not just the ignorance of the religious right, although they play a role, but the prison industrial complex. In other words greed as usual. Along with dehumanization of anyone who "breaks the law...".

polytrip
#9 Posted : 11/16/2010 11:26:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Quote:
But basically i think that cannot be the case. If 40% of americans have smoked cannabis at least once in their lifetime, than the general public should have a bit more knowledge about cannabis and what it actually does.

Yet legalization still failed in california... California! Of all places! Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

Or the hypocrisy...since californians are all potheadsLaughing

BananaForeskin
#10 Posted : 11/17/2010 12:10:42 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

I read an article on Prop 19's failure stating that supporters of Prop 19 "simply weren't motivated" to get out and vote.

Razz
¤ø¸โ€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸โ€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸โ€žø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

polytrip
#11 Posted : 11/17/2010 12:32:27 AM
DMT-Nexus member

BananaForeskin wrote:
I read an article on Prop 19's failure stating that supporters of Prop 19 "simply weren't motivated" to get out and vote.

Razz

The most obvious explanation. Like i said.... all potheads in california.

polytrip
#12 Posted : 11/17/2010 7:29:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The war on drugs will end at some time. The USA no longer owns south america. Countries like brazil and argentina are more and more starting to have their own policy on things, regardless of what the american government tells them.
In countries that are notoriously anti-drugs, like america and france, the war will rage on for some time, but the rest of the world is slowly starting to accept defeat in this pointless war.

Steely
#13 Posted : 11/17/2010 8:23:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In the Nexus chat I've explained a little of my Sister before. What my parents and I believe to be the reason behind her ignorant, unsupported, unquestioning rage and hatred toward all drugs are programs like, "D.A.R.E" which had a serious effect on her during her High School years. This is merely an assumption however, as we have no other explanation. So if this turns out to be the truth, this "War" on the, War on Drugs system is going to prove very difficult.

Slightly off-topic: I read a little talk of Prop 19 here so I thought I would share this very well thought out article I happened across about the entire situation, with reasons as to why it failed, and how it was doomed from the start: http://www.cannabiscultu...rijuana-Election-Defeats

Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.
Hate is the choice of a clouded mind.
-"It takes humility to remember who we are"-
"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it." - Buddha