We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Need a Psychotria Viridis extraction tek Options

skin_
#1 Posted : 7/7/2008 11:36:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys,
SWIM has recently found somewhere he can buy a Psychotria Viridis plant from to grow and extract some spice. SWIM was hoping someone could explain the extra steps needed to obtain the spice as SWIM has read many different methods and it's becoming confusing.

This is SWIM's first spice extraction, so there is much to be learned.

Thanks.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

69ron
#2 Posted : 7/8/2008 12:54:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Any standard Mimosa A/B tech works for Psychotria viridis. Just make sure to defat the leaves. Also, make sure the initial extraction is done in hot/boiling water and not some other solvent. The leaves contain lots of chlorophyll which is insoluble in water, but soluble in most other solvents like alcohol, naphtha, ether, acetone, etc. If the initial extraction is done in something like alcohol there will be a ton of chlorophyll present that will be very hard to remove.

When basifying, you only need pH 9.5. Psychotria viridis doesn’t have those nasty Mimosa emulsions to deal with, so there’s no need for those extremely high pH values used when basifying Mimosa.

100 gram Psychotria viridis extraction

1. Cover the leafs in 1 liter of water, add 1000 mg of citric acid, and boil for 15 minutes. Pour off the water and save it.
2. Cover the leafs in 1 liter of water and boil for 15 minutes. Pour off the water and save it.
3. Cover the leafs in 1 liter of water and boil for 15 minutes. Pour off the water and save it.
4. Filter the combined water and boil it down to about 300 ml.
5. Defat 5 times with 100 ml of naphtha (or 3 times with xylene followed by 2 times with naphtha) in a separatory funnel. If the last defat is not clear, defat again until it is clear.
6. Adjust the pH to 9.5 with sodium carbonate (or sodium hydroxide, or ammonia).
7. Extract 3 times with 100 ml of naphtha in a separatory funnel.
8. Evaporate the naphtha completely at room temperature to give DMT.

If you used Hawaiian Psychotria viridis you’ll end up with about 300 mg of DMT. If you used regular Psychotria viridis you’ll end up with about 100 mg of DMT.

If the remaining product is greenish, there’s still chlorophyll present because you didn’t defat enough. You can still freeze precipitate as with Mimosa to purify the DMT. Another way to remove any chlorophyll that made it into the final product is to mix 50 ml of water with 1000 mg of citric acid and dissolve the DMT in it. The chlorophyll will not dissolve in the water. Bring the water to pH 9.5 with sodium carbonate and extract 3 times with 25 ml of naphtha. Evaporate the naphtha and you’ll be left with nearly pure DMT.

Note that heptane works better than naphtha at extracting DMT, freeze precipitating it, and it also evaporates faster than naphtha. But neither solvent will extract DMT N-Oxide. If you want to extract DMT N-Oxide as well then use dichloromethane, ether, or chloroform instead of naphtha or heptane. This way you get all the DMT as well as the DMT N-Oxide. When you freeze precipitate the DMT in heptane or naphtha, the DMT N-Oxide will not dissolve in the solvent and will sink to the bottom as yellow oil. So before freezing the solvent, pour it into another container leaving behind all the yellow DMT N-Oxide oil. This way you can freeze precipitate the DMT to get pure DMT, and still use the yellow oily DMT N-Oxide which is also hallucinogenic.

The problem with DMT N-Oxide is that it is an oil that won’t crystallize. However, an easy way to make use of the left over yellow DMT N-Oxide oil is to add calcium carbonate to it at a 10:1 ratio of calcium carbonate to DMT N-Oxide by weight. Add a little acetone to the oil to dissolve it and mix it with the calcium carbonate. Let the acetone evaporate off and you have DMT N-Oxide infused onto calcium carbonate. The calcium carbonate will prevent the DMT N-Oxide from sticking together creating a fine free flowing powder from the oil. It’s safe to vaporize. The calcium carbonate won’t vaporize, but the DMT N-Oxide will.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

skin_
#3 Posted : 7/8/2008 2:47:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

You're an absolute legend. Thanks heaps. Once I get this finished I'll post my results.

rahlii
#4 Posted : 7/18/2008 10:38:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

With all the love you pour into growing your own chacruna expect a grand return.

I've heard on the net of folks drawing returns as high as 3.5% dry weight.

When the time comes to reap your rewards, wait till dusk as the spice peaks in concentration at this time.

If you brew your fresh chacruna with the vine first before assessing plant yeilds, go slow or you could be in for a rich rideTwisted Evil

Looking forward to hearing some home grown chacruna yeilds first/second/third hand. Anybody?
From where is the noise?

CATinME0W
#5 Posted : 1/8/2016 4:51:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Would vinegar be a suitable alternative to citric acid for step 1?

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 1/8/2016 6:44:46 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Please read Entropymancer's extraction overview thread. That question indicates a lack of understanding of the extraction principles. Once you understand the principles, teks will make more sense in general.

Good luck! Thumbs up
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

CATinME0W
#7 Posted : 1/8/2016 7:16:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply! And the advice. I do appreciate it. Smile