We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Any evidence of enhanced mental/psy abilities from DMT? Options

moyshekapoyre
#1 Posted : 11/14/2010 2:51:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi folks. I searched the forum and could not find this question so I'm starting this topic.

I would love to know if anyone has done any experiments regarding the effects of DMT/ayahuasca on one's mental abilities. I.e., can it make you measurably "smarter" in any way? Or can it give you ESP? I've heard lots of anecdotal accounts of it giving people ESP, esp. telepathy, but have there been any experiments done to prove it? I always feel like I have so many ESP powers when I come up from aya, but I have yet to try to prove it... mostly because I'm so high it's hard to focus on something mundane I guess?

I recently did a dual N-back experiment the day after my last aya session, and I had dramatically improved my working memory, although I would have really liked to test myself right after coming up rather than the next day. It seems my working memory is back to what it usually is, so I guess the aya/DMT nootropic effect doesn't stay with you? Does everyone get this nootropic effect, or is it just me?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

vovin
#2 Posted : 11/14/2010 3:19:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

Cognitive benefits are definitely improved under changa. Key being changa not freebase which is much different and difficult to do anything while under. I spend a great deal of writing while under changa. Check out the tongue of the gods link in my sig for a few things I have written. It opens up one creativity and adds dimension to your perspective. It allows you to see the correlations between things and experiences in life. As far as ESP or other mystical effects as far as I have experienced, no not really.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

burnt
#3 Posted : 11/14/2010 11:07:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Psychedelics such as dmt can certainly enhance creativity and problem solving.

As far as psi abilities I think that's in no way true. Anecdotal reports about people reading each others mind while taking hallucinogens are highly unreliable. Think about it: drugs that drastically alter your perceptions! You would expect people to come up with bizarre reports like this. No one can read minds. You can however become very connected with those around and get the sensation that you know what they are thinking.

Entheojen
#4 Posted : 11/14/2010 12:34:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I met a Hindu man once who told me about the 'elders' that lived in remote communities who meditated to the point of vibrating on the same frequencies and could get to the point where they could 'have a conversation' without speaking through some kind of ESP. This conversation came up with the man just getting to know him in a business situation, and I was very skeptical of spiritualism of any kind at the time. But apparently a lot of the Hindu religion is based upon the principle of vibrating frequencies. This is very interesting as a lot of people report that feeling on the Nexus.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

burnt
#5 Posted : 11/14/2010 3:57:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^Vibrating frequencies of what? I mean that as serious question.

I so often hear people say vibrating frequencies without ever explaining what they mean. Often they just say energy as if that is some kind of explanation. Its not so don't use that one unless you have specific form of energy.

The Traveler
#6 Posted : 11/14/2010 4:15:57 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

With LSD I seem to be more sensitive as normal to peoples non-verbal expressions. Also, with a low dose of LSD the LSD works for me as a nootropic, I can better focus my thoughts and I'm longer able to keep my short term memory (at least, it feels like it Pleased).

I can imagine that with the increased sensitivity you are better able to understand the non-verbal expressions from people, giving you the idea that you are reading their minds while in fact you read their (subtle) body language.

If you are ever under the influence of LSD and are still lucid enough to be aware of your own thoughts, then try to read the mind of someone who has left the room, my guess is that this will loose your reading ability with this person.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

burnt
#7 Posted : 11/14/2010 4:50:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I can imagine that with the increased sensitivity you are better able to understand the non-verbal expressions from people, giving you the idea that you are reading their minds while in fact you read their (subtle) body language.

I think this is often what is happening especially when one is with good friends.

Its important to remember that one aspect of being a social being is having the ability to know what goes on in other peoples heads. Its called 'theory of mind'. Note it means that we have an ability to think what goes on in other peoples heads not a theory about the mind itself. Its just a term. Check it out its interesting stuff.

TheReadyAwakening
#8 Posted : 11/14/2010 5:39:24 PM

Jimmy

I have had a mini-SHE I guess you could call it, with a small group of friends, and had two of them report communicating to each other the entire time, while neither of them ever spoke a word.

Like Burnt said, you can never tell for certain. It's just the nature of psychedelics to make you think on those levels. Like thinking you can communicate thoughts to your cat. Or that you can control the volume on the TV with your mind. It's all part of the intrigue of being really, really high =)
โ€œEgo is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.โ€ - Terence McKenna

ragabr
#9 Posted : 11/14/2010 6:11:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There's some very cool discussion of this in Psychedelic Information Theory. Kent suggests that people on the same substance in the same environment are likely to entrain to each other, so that analogous material would arise within the subjective experience, giving the sensation of psi-effect or telepathy. Particularly interesting to me, he suggests that the group-mind phenomena is real, but based in emergent properties of physical systems, not in supernatural connections. A very suggestive example is the stereotyped dance behaviors that can emerge at psytrance parties, that appear almost choreographed. There are a few very good descriptions of the subjective experience of this on the Nexus.

Most long-term meditators I've spoken to have experience with the "vibration" phenomenon. PIT suggests that these vibrations occur when something (meditation/drugs/binaural beats/etc) disrupts the stable system of baseline consciousness and it transitions to a higher or lower harmonic stability. So the vibrations experienced have more to do with what I will call the refresh rate of consciousness (don't remember how Kent refers to it) within the brain-body system.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

Entheojen
#10 Posted : 11/14/2010 9:18:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't know what is meant by vibration frequencies. I'm just passing on what he said as it was similar to what other people have said on the Nexus. I've no personal experience with vibrating frequencies either.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

Bancopuma
#11 Posted : 11/14/2010 10:30:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well technically all you are according to the laws of physics is a mass of vibrating atoms/molecules, and an amazingly and intricately configured mass of said atoms, but a mass of atoms nonetheless. And any atoms above absolute zero, are always vibrating, to some frequency or another. Your brain in particular produces a variety of vibrational frequencies, if we're talking about brain waves, which I guess are a kind of bioelectrical vibrational frequency. Now, when we meditate, experience shamanic drumming, dream or take psychedelic drugs, these all have a measurable effect on our brains vibrational frequency via EEG scan. So I don't think 'vibrational frequencies' is that weirder concept, given that all matter in reality, ourselves included, is vibrating at one kind of frequency or another. So I don't think this a load of hocus pocus, but good measurable science. Certainly I have experienced an alteration in my 'vibrational frequency', via Iboga, DMT, mushrooms or LSD to name a few capable chemical tools, often as a feeling, but with the former two, both a feeling and a sound perceived at the same time...however this is entirely my subjective experience.

burnt
#12 Posted : 11/14/2010 10:44:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^My question is more related to what you feel when you experience this vibrating sensation. I know the sensation. I attribute it more to my neurons loosening up my consciousness creating a weird sensation. I often just find people throw around the term vibration or energy or frequencies too much without giving details as to what they mean or assuming they are all related.

Bancopuma
#13 Posted : 11/14/2010 11:36:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I definitely get what you mean, these terms do seem to be thrown around a lot.

I am.
#14 Posted : 11/15/2010 12:33:09 AM

I AM

as far as ESP and non-verbal communication...i've experienced it countless times on LSD. it has to be with someone that oyu are naturally comfortable with and by comfortable with...i mean very familiar. you know them and they know you. not just a random buddy. i've got 2 different buddies that i've known for years and tripped with several times and have very candid, open, sometimes embarrasing conversations with. you know...those real friends. and also my girlfriend.

well, with these two friends and with my gf, if we eat a couple hits and the shits good, we can talk without speaking. with our eyes closed. in different rooms. when you trip, you peel away the layers of your psyche to reveal the raw, naked you (which, coincidentally enough...is everyone. we're all one). well, crack that head open enough around the same person and y'all will bond on an extremely deep subconscious level. kinda like getting torn open by the same beast and letting your scabs heal up together. gross, i know, but it's just an analogy.

i've had full on conversations with my girlfriend. laying in bed next to each other. eyes closed. we have shared a couple trips. gone to a beach in our heads, without either of us verbally communicating but in the trip, we're talking and understand each other and afterwards, we verbally discuss it and had the same experience. my buddies and i, we usually don't get that close during trips but we can share ideas and feel spirits and have the same thoughts and commincate on a primal level without talking.

i mean think about it...the premise of hyperspace is to kill your conscious mind and experience all that is One so why wouldn't you be able to talk to those who are tripping with you in the middle of hyperspace? to say that's impossible would be to put a cap on the limits of hyperspace and God in general and well come on now...the last people to put a cap on God's powers made that book the Bible and boy were they wrong.
embrace your nothingness...it's all you are...

mumbles
#15 Posted : 11/15/2010 12:39:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Theres nothing unusual or esp related going on, you are just in a heightened state paying more attention to whats happening around you. We can read emotions and body language in everyday life too but make no big deal out of it, its only special when you're tripping balls apparently and in that state we all apply far more significance to each little event so these interpretations of other peoples thoughts become more fantastic than they are in reality.

I am.
#16 Posted : 11/15/2010 1:09:42 AM

I AM

no. this has occurred with our eyes closed, while in different rooms. once when i was outside and my buddy was inside. with backs turned. while not directly looking at each other. there was nothing to read.

think about it: if i can talk to an alien in hyperspace, i think it is AT LEAST POSSIBLE that i can talk to my girlfriend, who is in hyperspace at the same time i am, on the same substance i am, having took it at the same time and is literally within arms reach. like i said, i think it's a little bold to say taht this is not possible. i believe pretty much anything metaphysical is possble on psychedelics. that's kinda the premise behind them.
embrace your nothingness...it's all you are...

burnt
#17 Posted : 11/15/2010 8:44:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
hink about it: if i can talk to an alien in hyperspace, i think it is AT LEAST POSSIBLE that i can talk to my girlfriend, who is in hyperspace at the same time i am, on the same substance i am, having took it at the same time and is literally within arms reach. like i said, i think it's a little bold to say taht this is not possible. i believe pretty much anything metaphysical is possble on psychedelics. that's kinda the premise behind them.

but you don't really know that you are talking to an alien?

vovin
#18 Posted : 11/15/2010 8:49:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

Some including myself believe that the entities are archetypes of your subconscious. That a DMT experience is not a journey without the body but within the deep recesses of the mind. A powerful form of self exploration. While I can not state this to be truth there is always the possibility that you do enter a new dimension or spirit world I have yet to find any true evidence that this is actually occurring. Therefore I rely on the most logical explanation until I do find said proof.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

StrangeLoop
#19 Posted : 11/15/2010 8:51:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes I have reached telepathic levels of communication on DMT. I have also reached this level on LSD and 2c-i, and I have heard anecdotes from close friends experiencing the same thing on psilocybin. It's most definitely real. People who are saying it's just a matter of reading body language and facial expressions have clearly never experienced it, although they might mistakenly think they have. When reaching the telepathic level on psychedelics, it's not a matter of "oh I think I know what you're thinking." It's a matter of thinking the exact same thing as someone else verbatim, where if they talk, the words coming out of their mouth match exactly the stream of thought going on in your own head. Where you can have complex conversations, with syntax, without saying a word.

My explanation for the phenomenon is that on psychedelics you become acutely aware of the wave/vibrational pattern of everything in this great oneness we call the universe. Your entire experience is just wave vibrations being translated by your brain into a coherent subjective experience. Everything you see with your eyes is just your brain decoding varying waves of electromagnetic radiation. Everything you hear with your ears is just your brain decoding longitudinal waves in the matter (air) around you. And this telepathic experience I think emerges from another type of wave vibration that we simply don't understand scientifically yet. But our thoughts are not coming from within, our brain is simply an interpreter. Just as the light waves and sound waves are not coming from within, they are all around us, and our brain just arranges and constructs them into a coherent picture, the "thought waves" are not coming from within, rather they are all around us, our brain simply acts analogously to a radio receiver, converting energy from a form we can't understand to another that we can understand. The telepathic experience emerges when two (or maybe more? I've only had it ever happen with two) people's brains are altered in the same way, and they start to experience those "thought waves" in the same way. Waves are just oscillations or vibrations, and this is where you get the hippie term "vibes," because when we trip we are picking up on a sphere of vibrations we normally take for granted and ignore.

moyshekapoyre
#20 Posted : 11/15/2010 8:55:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Strangeloop: can you reproduce this telepathic experience at will, or is it just random when it happens? Do you have any tips on how to make it happen? Have you done any recordings or otherwise collected evidence that others can look at? I would love to do some experiments myself... once I find a partner, that is.

12NEXT