We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
Pictorial Guide to Caapi Vine Alkaloid Extraction Options

gibran2
#21 Posted : 11/13/2010 12:00:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Crystalito wrote:
...The point i bring this up though is not this. Its more of a question i have : Are we sure that the undiserable alkaloids in syrian rue precipitate as freebases from aqueous solutions? Have any tests been done? . Not all alkaloids precipitate when freebase in aqueous solutions or else many extractions would be way easier... If i am missing somethiong from the picture, please do inform!

That’s a good question. Our chemists will have to answer that one.

It’s also possible that nothing would precipitate out – not unlike MHRB. As you know, a basified DMT-containing solution from MHRB will not precipitate DMT. Something in the MHRB keeps the DMT in suspension. So it’s possible that all of the alkaloids might remain in suspension when using P. harmala.

(Watching the caapi alkaloids gradually coalesce and aggregate, and then rapidly drop out of solution is a sight to behold!)

jbark wrote:
Very nice Gibran2. I had a quick look at the tek, and I can't wait to try it. Very well organized (as expected!!) Let us know how the bio-assay goes.

From poet to pioneer, imbiber to provider!

JBArk

The bio-assay is here. Smile
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

jbark
#22 Posted : 11/13/2010 12:04:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
Crystalito wrote:
...The point i bring this up though is not this. Its more of a question i have : Are we sure that the undiserable alkaloids in syrian rue precipitate as freebases from aqueous solutions? Have any tests been done? . Not all alkaloids precipitate when freebase in aqueous solutions or else many extractions would be way easier... If i am missing somethiong from the picture, please do inform!

That’s a good question. Our chemists will have to answer that one.

It’s also possible that nothing would precipitate out – not unlike MHRB. As you know, a basified DMT-containing solution from MHRB will not precipitate DMT. Something in the MHRB keeps the DMT in suspension. So it’s possible that all of the alkaloids might remain in suspension when using P. harmala.

(Watching the caapi alkaloids gradually coalesce and aggregate, and then rapidly drop out of solution is a sight to behold!)

jbark wrote:
Very nice Gibran2. I had a quick look at the tek, and I can't wait to try it. Very well organized (as expected!!) Let us know how the bio-assay goes.

From poet to pioneer, imbiber to provider!

JBArk

The bio-assay is here. Smile
\

Ohhhh... and not only did I read it, I actually comented and asked a question...Embarrased I blame my 22 month old son, who has recently developed a habit of waking up at 5am - nothing to do with my aging littered mind...Shocked

Thanks for the reminder!

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Crystalito
#23 Posted : 11/13/2010 12:39:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
So it’s possible that all of the alkaloids might remain in suspension when using P. harmala.

I think harmala alkaloids could precipitate from a basification of the tea : https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&m=161958 . First step is a basification ,i wonder though if the alcohol makes any difference. It seems to wrork brilliantly for harmala as well. Eitherway, it remains to be found.

Once more thanks for the excellent tek, archive material indeed!

actualfactual
#24 Posted : 11/13/2010 1:22:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks gibran2!

endlessness
#25 Posted : 11/13/2010 2:15:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome work gilbran2, much appreciated! Thanks trav for putting it in the wiki too

fraterS.O.L.
#26 Posted : 11/13/2010 2:16:44 AM

Bill Nye

After reading this I had to try it out and I gotta say I'm impressed. Very simple tek with a very clean end product. Also very cool to watch the fluffy white cloud appear. Mine sat on TOP for a while but is settling out nicely.

Thanks for the tek!
"Then he looked right through me
With somniferous almond eyes
Don't even know what that means
Must remember to write it down,
This is so real
Like the time Dave floated away
See my heart is pounding
'Cause this **** never happens to me!"
Tool - Rosetta Stoned

ANYTHING I POST ONLY TOOK PLACE IN REALMS OF PURE IDEA AND THOUGHT, ANY PICTURES I POST ARE STRAIGHT FROM GOOGLE IMAGES. ANY AND ALL PROCESSES I CLAIM TO CARRY OUT HAVE NOT ACTUALLY OCCURRED IN PHYSICAL REALITY, AND THEREFORE VIOLATE NO PHYSICAL LAW. WHEN SUCH THINGS ARE BANNED FROM THOUGHT I WILL CEASE TO CARRY THEM OUT EVEN IN THE ETHER.

BananaForeskin
#27 Posted : 11/13/2010 3:31:23 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

Thanks so much, gibran2! The pics make the whole process so much more friendlier!

Would it be possible to use lime as the base? Given that the alkaloids are dried for consumption after only after a few rinses, safe though the technique may be, methinks this is a prime candidate for a food-safe version.

Also, what impurities are there left after the first basification, out of curiosity (besides a little plant material)?

¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

gibran2
#28 Posted : 11/13/2010 3:54:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

BananaForeskin wrote:
Thanks so much, gibran2! The pics make the whole process so much more friendlier!

Would it be possible to use lime as the base? Given that the alkaloids are dried for consumption after only after a few rinses, safe though the technique may be, methinks this is a prime candidate for a food-safe version.

Also, what impurities are there left after the first basification, out of curiosity (besides a little plant material)?

I’ve only done this extraction with NaOH. I hope that others try it with a variety of bases and report back! (Hint.)

After the first basification and rinses, I don’t think there’s much of anything other than insoluble plant material. But the amount of plant material is not trivial – my guess is that it’s 20-30% of the weight. So I suppose you could stop after the initial rinses and settle for a product that’s at best maybe 80-85% pure (instead of the “Easy Caapi Vine Alkaloid Extraction TEK” we could call it the “Really Easy Caapi Vine Alkaloid Extraction TEK”). My guess is that the insoluble solids are benign.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

BananaForeskin
#29 Posted : 11/13/2010 5:33:24 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

Others probably will try it with lime and report back!
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

amor_fati
#30 Posted : 11/13/2010 9:15:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

BananaForeskin wrote:

Lime is notoriously ineffective in solution. Try sodium carbonate instead.

justine
#31 Posted : 11/27/2010 8:13:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
BananaForeskin wrote:

I’ve only done this extraction with NaOH. I hope that others try it with a variety of bases and report back! (Hint.)

After the first basification and rinses, I don’t think there’s much of anything other than insoluble plant material. But the amount of plant material is not trivial – my guess is that it’s 20-30% of the weight. So I suppose you could stop after the initial rinses and settle for a product that’s at best maybe 80-85% pure (instead of the “Easy Caapi Vine Alkaloid Extraction TEK” we could call it the “Really Easy Caapi Vine Alkaloid Extraction TEK”). My guess is that the insoluble solids are benign.

Instead of re-acidification couldn't you dissolve the harmalas with IPA, filter and evap ?
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

gibran2
#32 Posted : 11/27/2010 9:13:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

justine wrote:
Instead of re-acidification couldn't you dissolve the harmalas with IPA, filter and evap ?

I suppose you could, but you’d want to get the alkaloids as clean as possible after the first basification (instead of an aqueous solution of alkaloid salts, you’d have an IPA solution of alkaloid freebase). Are harmala alkaloids sufficiently soluble in IPA? If there are any alkaloids that are relatively insoluble in IPA, they would be lost.

Also, one of the nice things about this TEK is that the only solvent used is water.

wikiwahwah
#33 Posted : 11/27/2010 9:37:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for this gibran2. I'm thinking of doing a caapi extraction soon and these pictures really help to illustrate the procedure.

PureMan
#34 Posted : 11/27/2010 10:07:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought normally when an aya brew is made, it takes 10+ hours.. If you boiled it for such a short amount of time, wouldn't there still be alkaloids in the bark left untapped?

jamie
#35 Posted : 11/27/2010 10:11:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

^yes definatily. I would at least save the sediments and rebrew them and add it to your next brew..
Long live the unwoke.

gibran2
#36 Posted : 11/27/2010 10:31:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cloud wrote:
I thought normally when an aya brew is made, it takes 10+ hours.. If you boiled it for such a short amount of time, wouldn't there still be alkaloids in the bark left untapped?

As soon as I get my next order of caapi (in a week or so), I’m going to put this to the test: I’ll do an extraction as outlined in the TEK, then do a separate extraction on the vine with an additional 4 hours or so of boiling. My guess is that there are additional alkaloids remaining, but that the amount is very small.

My black caapi yielded over 2% alkaloids with four 30-minute boils. It’s hard to imagine that there’s a whole lot more than 2% alkaloids in there!

Phantastica
#37 Posted : 11/27/2010 10:32:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mad props bro!!Very happy
<3

Phantastica
#38 Posted : 11/27/2010 11:45:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

does the pot used for brewing the caapi needs to be Stainless Steel? or would Aluminum suffice since no dmt is involved?
<3

gibran2
#39 Posted : 11/28/2010 12:42:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Phantastica wrote:
does the pot used for brewing the caapi needs to be Stainless Steel? or would Aluminum suffice since no dmt is involved?

You’ll be boiling an acidic solution, so don’t use aluminum. (Although the purification steps will probably remove any dissolved aluminum salts.)

Phantastica
#40 Posted : 11/28/2010 3:30:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:

You’ll be boiling an acidic solution, so don’t use aluminum. (Although the purification steps will probably remove any dissolved aluminum salts.)

i only have an aluminum pot gibran, so if i was to proceed with the brewing, would it result in any kind of yield/potency loss??
another question: i never actually understood the mechanics behind not using Aluminum pots, so could you please explain that to me? Is it an issue of simple aluminum contamination, or is it an issue of potency/yield loss, or both? How so??
Thanks a lot manVery happy Very happy
<3

PREV1234NEXT»