We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1516171819NEXT»
Pictorial Guide to Caapi Vine Alkaloid Extraction Options

gibran2
#321 Posted : 12/7/2011 12:27:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

bnd wrote:
Hello again people. I have a very strange issue.

I have followed your guide without problems with very good results (alkaloids with ivory color)

but When I have the alkaloids freebase I passed to salt with Acetic acid glacial and the alkaloids turned purple!!! a very intense purple. This is normal? Shocked

Thank you !

Glacial acetic acid is much too strong for acidification. You only need about 3% acetic acid to convert harmala alkaloids to their salts.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

gibran2
#322 Posted : 12/7/2011 2:39:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bnd wrote:
Then I ruined the alkaloids? What do you think?

But Purple is normal?

I don’t think you ruined them, but they might be very concentrated. Dilute a small amount – the solution should be yellow.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Explorateur
#323 Posted : 12/9/2011 8:23:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mister_Niles wrote:
I have no fumaric acid. Is acetic the best 2nd choice, or is there a better option? Does anyone know?

gibran2 wrote:
Vinegar works just as well as fumaric acid in my experience.

Do you think it could work with citric acid ?

boylobster
#324 Posted : 12/10/2011 2:34:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

First, fantastic Tek! Second, I apologize for tossing my problem on to the pile of questions, but... I'm confused. Confused And I only ask because I've read every single post in this thread, and it doesn't seem that many others are having a similar issue.

In short, it seems my alks won't settle after precipitation. They hang, suspended, after the first basification. I've added a bit more NaOH than was called for, as I thought that might be the problem, but no luck. Over 24 hours after the first addition of NaOH, the alks had settled to the bottom, but loosely. There was still a great deal of dark solution mixed in, and it was impossible to pull off all the waste liquid off the top without starting to suck up significant quantities of alks. Boo. I took as much as I dared, losing some alks in the process, then added back 200mL of water, as directed.

Unfortunately, it's the same problem as when I first added the base: the alks now simply sit suspended in solution. Visible, but they *will not* settle. This is what they look like now, having been left to settle for over an hour...

I'm embarrassed to even have to ask, as the simplicity of this Tek is one of its most beautiful features... but I'm stuck. Sad Anyone have any advice?

edit - sorry for the monster pic! I thought the forum might auto-resize. ;p
boylobster attached the following image(s):
IMG_2591.JPG (413kb) downloaded 361 time(s).

tele
#325 Posted : 12/10/2011 10:13:26 AM
Explorer

I had the same problem with sodium carbonate, are sure your base is lye?

Another thing you might want to try is adding even more lye.

boylobster
#326 Posted : 12/11/2011 2:37:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quite sure, but good to check. It's NaOH that has worked a treat for DMT extractions. What's more, I was also concerned I hadn't gotten the pH high enough, so I added roughly 3g more lye to the initial basification. When that produced no results, I let it settle as much as I could, drew off the top layer of dark liquid, and added back ~200mL distilled water, per instructions. When the alks again seemed to be trapped in suspension, I added a bit more lye solution to this phase, with no visible change.

Thus, I think it's safe to conclude that additional lye is not the answer... But that leaves me back at square one. I've let the solution settle for over a day - since I posted that picture yesterday - and now, the precipitates have settled into a loose layer at the bottom. Unfortunately, this layer is *loose*, and as you can see from this new photo is not truly settled, but merely floating near the bottom. Sad

The only way in which I deviated from the Tek initially was that I powdered about half of my bark, which I realized only afterward may have been a critical error. It resulted in a thick, silty sludge that was very difficult to filter out of the resulting tea. Is it possible that this vine dust is helping the alks remain suspended? Unless someone has other suggestions (please, have other suggestions), I'm going to just let this sit in the fridge for several days while I start another run from scratch.

Thoughts? ...and thanks, tele, for the reply! Smile
boylobster attached the following image(s):
lame.JPG (95kb) downloaded 330 time(s).

tele
#327 Posted : 12/11/2011 10:28:08 AM
Explorer

You are lucky that is only the first basification step. What you should do now, is just remove the black liquid and replace it with water like the tek says. After the solution is clearish, you acidify and remove the impurities. Then, possibly, after you re-base, you might get proper precipitation happening. But powdering the bark was bad idea, even if it wouldn't contribute to the consistency of the precipitate. Just proceed with the TEK and I think you'll be fine.

DudeMeetTyler
#328 Posted : 12/11/2011 2:35:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can't say one has done this but if you are discarding the base water and keeping the precip by not just dump it through a filter?

Then wash the filter with water to get all your goodness off and repeat as necessary...
"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be a sorry state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"

"My orders were to test the drug...It works" Bass Association by Far Too Loud

Profile Picture by David Aronson, http://www.alchemicalwedding.com/index.html

gibran2
#329 Posted : 12/11/2011 2:53:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

boylobster wrote:
Thus, I think it's safe to conclude that additional lye is not the answer... But that leaves me back at square one. I've let the solution settle for over a day - since I posted that picture yesterday - and now, the precipitates have settled into a loose layer at the bottom. Unfortunately, this layer is *loose*, and as you can see from this new photo is not truly settled, but merely floating near the bottom.

I’m not quite sure why you think there’s a problem. In your photo it looks like you have a very nice layer of alkaloids that have settled. They don’t have to settle into a solid mass – they’re going to be “loose”. Just remove the liquid above them, add fresh water, allow to settle, decant again, etc. Repeat until the water is fairly light and most soluble impurities have been removed.

Your second photo is exactly how it should look after the first basification and settling.

smokerx
#330 Posted : 12/11/2011 3:10:48 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

tele wrote:
You are lucky that is only the first basification step. What you should do now, is just remove the black liquid and replace it with water like the tek says. After the solution is clearish, you acidify and remove the impurities. Then, possibly, after you re-base, you might get proper precipitation happening. But powdering the bark was bad idea, even if it wouldn't contribute to the consistency of the precipitate. Just proceed with the TEK and I think you'll be fine.

just do as tele and gibran2 said. it will settle much better after you put a fresh water in. just be patient. I had the same "problem" not problem really I only thought it was as you do. Do not worry the picture looks perfect.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

boylobster
#331 Posted : 12/12/2011 4:59:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Haha, will do. Thanks to everyone for the swift support... I love the Nexus. Smile I guess I had formed an impression that the alks would collapse swiftly and firmly into a dense pile at the bottom. Why? I dunno'. This is what happens when you let your presumptions do your thinking for you - take note. Pleased I'll proceed with the Tek as prescribed, and post results. With luck, sometime, someone else will have similar misgivings and benefit from the public airing of my foolishness. Rolling eyes

Purges
#332 Posted : 1/19/2012 9:22:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just completing a ~150g White Caapi extraction at the moment, looks like a decent yield, will report back Very happy
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

Para
#333 Posted : 2/14/2012 12:10:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

if only 3 acid boils of 30 minutes are sufficient to extract alkaloids from caapi (as salts in water)
why the preparing of caapi tea is done with 3x3h simmering (with or without acid)?

either 3x3h is unnecessary long, or
3x30minutes didn't extracted all the meaningful alkaloids.

gibran2
#334 Posted : 2/14/2012 12:25:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cautatorul wrote:
if only 3 acid boils of 30 minutes are sufficient to extract alkaloids from caapi (as salts in water)
why the preparing of caapi tea is done with 3x3h simmering (with or without acid)?

either 3x3h is unnecessary long, or
3x30minutes didn't extracted all the meaningful alkaloids.

There is much debate on this subject.

Some people believe that certain “mystery alkaloids” need much time to be released from the caapi. Some people just want every last molecule of goodness extracted.

I’m of the opinion that the “law of diminishing returns” kicks in after 4-5 short (30 minute) boils: You’ll get more alkaloids, but at what cost? Especially if you’re not doing large extractions (maybe 1kg or more?) it doesn’t make sense to me to waste hours of energy and time to get that last 100mg of alkaloids out of bark. Why not just buy more bark if you need that extra 100mg? It’s probably less expensive than an extra 6 hours of energy. Just my opinion on the matter – others will certainly disagree.

soulfood
#335 Posted : 2/14/2012 12:28:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I'm guessing the 3 longer boils are more relevant when boiling a massive amount of caapi for a multi-user ceremony.

Para
#336 Posted : 2/14/2012 1:51:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:

Some people believe that certain “mystery alkaloids” need much time to be released from the caapi. Some people just want every last molecule of goodness extracted.

From what I read indeed this is the opinion of the majority here, but I'm not sure how much proof exist for that beside personal experience.

If the same ratio of caapi/water is used it shouldn't matter the quantity you prepare, 100g or 1kg.
If less water per gram of bark is used when making tea I agree longer boils are necessary (due to low osmotic pressure) to get
all alkaloids out in solution.

You used 64g/500ml in this extraction I'm making tea right now from 500g caapi using 6l spring water for each wash.
So if your tek extracted all meaningful alkaloids in 3x30minutes I should be able to do the same with my quantities (theoretically speaking, I'm still doing 3x3h).

I couldn't found any clear information about the ratio caapi/water needed for an extraction/tea (beside the THP) and I think is very important.

Purges
#337 Posted : 2/14/2012 2:35:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ended up doing 5 boils over the course of the day. Got just over 2 grams from 153g White Caapi, not bad Very happy
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

smokerx
#338 Posted : 2/14/2012 7:14:34 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

Purges wrote:
Ended up doing 5 boils over the course of the day. Got just over 2 grams from 153g White Caapi, not bad Very happy

nice one , congratulation Smile
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

DudeMeetTyler
#339 Posted : 2/26/2012 8:59:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So.. I recently tried a sort of pharma. I brewed 120 g white trueno caapi via 1st boil = 1 hr, 2nd and 3rd boils = 45 min, 4th and 5th boil = 30 min, with no acid. I took half of the resulting brew, so ~ 60 g. The rest i saved, as i couldnt stomach it haha I think i brewed it a little too hot.

Anyways.. Today I performed this extraction on the remaining ~ 60 g of caapi tea I had. Worked like a charm! Thanks gibran2 for this wonderfully simple tek. I did however filter instead of decant for each step, worked fairly well, definately faster Smile .

Next time i do this i will brew enough for 2 extracts and do one with all filtering and one with all decanting and report back with my findings.

Also:
gibran2 wrote:

That’s a very good question. It has been asked before, but no one has yet come up with a good answer. Maybe caapi tea has something in it that slows or regulates the absorption of harmalas? Hard to say what is going on. My yields from black caapi have always been around 2% (with one exceptional yield of 3%) and the one time I extracted from yellow I got slightly under 1%. Vine containing 0.5% alkaloids would have 250mg alkaloids per 50g caapi, which seems typical. The alkaloid content of caapi varies so much that it’s impossible to say what’s going on without quantitative analysis (extraction of alkaloids).

I have very limited experience with this, but my very first caapi-only aya experience was with brew from 15g of black caapi. I made brew from 30g and drank half of it. It was very strong and made me feel very ill. I extracted the alkaloids from the other half and got about 2%, which means the first dose had around 300mg alkaloids. All I can say is that it felt like 300mg!

I don’t think there are any regular aya drinkers among us who also regularly extract caapi alkaloids. A good experiment for an experienced aya drinker would be: Prepare caapi brew – enough for 2 doses. Drink one dose and note effects. Extract the second dose, consume the resultant alkaloids, and note effects. As far as I know, no one has tried this yet.

...While i am not a regular aye drinker bye any means I will take an equivalent dose to my first experience with caapi tea and 50 mg FB in OJ, except this time i will use the extracted alks from the remaining half of my tea, again, along with 50 mg FB in OJ. And see if I can discern any noticable difference.

Now for a couple of questions...

If one were to decant the solution, Im assuming putting it in the fridge would help things settle faster. Would this have any negative impacts?
Update: I have found that putting each step, that needs to settle/have the alks fall to the bottom, in the fridge seems to make the resultant solution more "clear" than if it were left at room temp. However I leave it longer than the 20/30 minutes.

And, I think I read this, but just want to clarify...The volume of water for each of the final rinses effects the rate of return to neutral (Ph 7-Cool, correct? Therefore, if one does larger washes, they could do fewer, right? For example in the last step "Remove Excess NaOH, Salts, Etc.", after the initial rinse it says to repeat four times with 200 ml water each time. Could one increase each rinse to 400 ml and rinse only twice (instead of four times) to achieve identical results?

Again, Thanks for the awesome tek!

The Dude

Update: So the initial yield was .34 g, from ~60 grams of non-acidified tea left overs, or ~.5%. The "rinses" yielded another .23 g. For a total of .57 from ~60 g unacidified tea left overs, or ~0.95 %.
"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be a sorry state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"

"My orders were to test the drug...It works" Bass Association by Far Too Loud

Profile Picture by David Aronson, http://www.alchemicalwedding.com/index.html

alert
#340 Posted : 3/9/2012 4:35:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I started an extraction on some yellow vine the other day. Within a couple hours there was a noticeable amount of alkaloids on the bottom of the extraction vessel, but the majority was still in suspension. I set it aside for 48 hours and looking at it now I'd say maybe 40% of the precipitate is at the bottom but the majority is still in suspension and the entire solution is completely cloudy. Has anyone else has precipitate that simply did not want to settle? I'm just trying to get an idea about how long this might take. I might just finish cleaning up the 40% on the bottom and leave the rest in the closet for a week or so and let gravity do its thing but I figured at least the majority would have settled by now.

«PREV1516171819NEXT»