We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
It Will Be Awesome if They Don’t Screw it Up: 3D Printing Options

Saidin
#1 Posted : 11/12/2010 12:41:34 AM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

Very interesting article describing one of the next technology revolutions that will change everything, and is already here...as long as those in power don't screw it up. Star Trek meets the real world...

An Opportunity, and a Warning

The next great technological disruption is brewing just out of sight. In small workshops, and faceless office parks, and garages, and basements, revolutionaries are tinkering with machines that can turn digital bits into physical atoms. The machines can download plans for a wrench from the Internet and print out a real, working wrench. Users design their own jewelry, gears, brackets, and toys with a computer program, and use their machines to create real jewelry, gears, brackets, and toys.

These machines, generically known as 3D printers, are not imported from the future or the stuff of science fiction. Home versions, imperfect but real, can be had for around $1,000. Every day they get better, and move closer to the mainstream.

http://www.publicknowled...if-they-dont-screw-it-up
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Apoc
#2 Posted : 11/12/2010 5:24:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That is fascinating technology! Basically, this is the birth of bringing industrial technology to the average person. Amazing. I would have never even thought of such a thing before today.

However, if you want to make something really complex and useful, you have to actually have the proper materials, ie: if you want a titanium golf club, you have to have titanium. For the moment, those printers use some kind of plaster. And I got to thinking, what would people actually use this for if they are limited in materials? I looked on youtube and saw someone create a 3d mold of their face. And then it hit me like lightning. Guess what men everywhere would be using this technology for? What do men like that's 3d, fairly simple in shape, doesn't have moving parts, doesn't do anything, yet can still be used, and only needs to be made from one soft material?

vovin
#3 Posted : 11/12/2010 5:29:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

3D prototype printing has been around for years. I used to use on when I worked for a company that designed prototypes. The professional versions are not cheap at all but the quality if amazing. takes a long long time for them to finish a print out but today's models can even print in metal. The grandules are covered in a UV activated adhesive and then after printed and fired so the minuscule particles will bind. Kind of complex and I have just glossed over it but you can create some really great stuff. I myself use a Sherline cnc mill to make master parts in machine wax and then I lost wax cast them. Works just as well and costs a heck of a lot less than a pro printer and it has a resolution of .0015
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Citta
#4 Posted : 11/12/2010 7:51:54 AM

Skepdick

This place is gonna start looking like a scene straight outta hyperspace in a not very distant future^^

obliguhl
#5 Posted : 11/12/2010 8:54:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The funny thing is, yesterday i had a breakthrough designing something i want to get printed at shapeways Smile