We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
harmala mush? Options

hyperspacing
#1 Posted : 11/3/2010 3:23:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so swim did a manske on some syrian rue and ended up with some nice sparkling dirt.

he decided to dissolve it in some hot water with a splash of vinegar. after doing this he filtered it. he then added salt to the hot solution and it instantly turned to a mush. kinda like runny oatmeal. he didnt put much salt in and its too thick to strain. every drop turned to this mush and there is alot. the sparkling dirt filled about a tenth of the jar. now the jar is almost full with this goop.

any idea what happened and what he should do next?
-Close your eyes, See the light, and feel the sunshine in the shade

~All views, ideas and opinions of this user are strictly fictional and in no way represent an act done in reality.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

burnt
#2 Posted : 11/3/2010 8:08:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

maybe doing a basic precipitation?

endlessness
#3 Posted : 11/3/2010 8:24:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah, try to remove as much of the water as possible from the mush, redissolve the mush in hot fresh water and precipitate with a base.

sigmundfreuid
#4 Posted : 11/3/2010 8:35:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

its possible you added salt with the anti-clumping agent + iodine and therefor you got the mushy harmala...
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

Crystalito
#5 Posted : 11/3/2010 11:40:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
its possible you added salt with the anti-clumping agent + iodine and therefor you got the mushy harmala...

How would anti-clumping agents or iodine cause it? Anti-caking agents (you can find a list of them in wiki) and iodine (in the form of salts with K or Na) are usually added in small quantities and i cannot see how they could turn the whole thing into a mush. Unless of course they react with something in the plant that causes this phenomenon: in this case ,and i am just speculating, if what forms is water soluble then repeated washes with brine could remove it (or the wash with base if it cannot dissolve in brine), if what forms stays insoluble then reconsituting it with water and filtering can even help since it would remove more impurities in solid form.

I had extractions like those turn into mush, but they were from big quantities of peganum harmala. I do not know if its tannins or something else but i too have noticed it. Even if you let peganum harmala tea stand in room temperature you might notice those "clouds" which i think its the same material ,given that they look way dispropotionate to be harmala alkaloids falling out of solution compared to the amount of seeds used.

Anyway, i am throwing ideas on the table, i am not sure if any of my thoughts are correct.

hyperspacing
#6 Posted : 11/3/2010 4:26:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The salt swim used is natural sea salt (no iodine). It worked fine on a previous manske, wich I did 2 salt precips as I tried to do this time.

The only variable that changed that I can think of is qauntity. My first manske was on 10 grams of rue. This one was 110grams

Ill try to redissolve and base it out.
-Close your eyes, See the light, and feel the sunshine in the shade

~All views, ideas and opinions of this user are strictly fictional and in no way represent an act done in reality.