We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Irregular sleeping patterns and DMT Options

BenevolentSon
#1 Posted : 10/31/2010 2:28:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I work late nights and sleep in some day light hours. I hear this can mess with your body functions. Since DMT is released to make us dream I was wondering if these type of sleeping patterns could have any sort of effect with DMT.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Vector
#2 Posted : 10/31/2010 3:39:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't really have an answer to your question but I just wanted to jump in to say that it is purely speculation that DMT has anything to do with dreaming.

i can tell you that i've known someone who works nights and sleeps in days and she had a great DMT experience.

BenevolentSon
#3 Posted : 10/31/2010 3:43:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

K cool, I didn't think there would be any issues whatsoever and I doubt there will be, just thought I'd cover all angles Very happy

Vector
#4 Posted : 10/31/2010 10:15:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

why would a neurotransmitter be created in the stomach?

I don't think anyone knows specifically where in the body DMT is created

astralpixels
#5 Posted : 10/31/2010 10:26:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I actually too have heard it's created in the stomach (I personally do not believe this, but I have heard it somewhere). Wherever it is created though, how are we to tell whether or not it's what makes dreams?

There just isn't enough research about it to say for sure. I read someone on Nexus mention it had an effect on how they felt when they'd wake up in the morning, but I don't want to misquote him so take that vaguely, but as far as I know I don't think it effects sleep patterns. Maybe some people with experience could fill us in on their experiences?

I'm curious about this too, good question BenevolentSon.

ragabr
#6 Posted : 10/31/2010 11:19:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The stomach has a pretty extensive part of the peripheral nervous system within it. From what I understand, we know that the lungs produce DMT in mice, and there's some evidence the heart and stomach also produce it.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

vovin
#7 Posted : 10/31/2010 11:58:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

When I take a very powerful journey through changa land I spend the next few days sleeping only in fits of a few hours. I dream and still feel awake but but I awaken very tired for long periods. It is strange that it does this to me as I do not recall it occuring years ago. Maybe I am getting old.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Pokey
#8 Posted : 11/1/2010 3:14:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT is created in the garage or basement (usually in Mason jars), not the stomach silly.

Pokey

universecannon
#9 Posted : 11/1/2010 5:54:00 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Vector wrote:

Beleive it or not your gut actually uses more serotoin than anywhere else in your body! Like a third brain almost

I'm fairly certain there are scientific articles discussing the evidence that shows dmt is produced by the heart and lungs, and is also present in spinal fluid-but its late, this isn't my computer (mine broke ): and i have a lot of work to do...so dig away! Wink clickme

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

cosmicladybug
#10 Posted : 11/4/2010 5:23:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Vector wrote:

"A widely distributed neurotransmitter, serotonin, is found in blood platelets, the lining of the digestive tract, and the brain. It causes very powerful contractions of smooth muscle, and is associated with mood, attention, emotions, and sleep." [http://science.jrank.org/pages/4620/Neurotransmitter-Characteristics-neurotransmitters.html]

i suppose this is a little off-topic from the original post but i figure it's good info nonetheless. serotonin is 5HT - 5-hydroxytryptamine - a tryptamine Pleased and its presence in the digestive tract figures into digestive disorders, etc. Also, DMT acts in serotonin receptors, so DMT and serotonin are closely related little fellows Pleased

"In addition to being a major neurotransmitter involved in brain function, serotonin is also used in the gut to help regulate digestion. This is a perfect example of why there might be a special relationship between brain function and diet." [http://neuromolecular.wordpress.com/2007/05/22/intestinal-serotonin/]

Smile Much of our current knowledge base on DMT is speculative, and also experiential. That said...I too can corroborate that working night-shift hours and sleeping during the day doesn't seem to have any negative effect on ingested DMT experiences.

Magicman
#11 Posted : 11/4/2010 5:59:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As far as I'd known up until now, is that the generally accepted THEORY as to where DMT is produced endogenously , is the pineal gland, it has the right proteins in abundance and is known (factually) to produce other tryptamines.

I may be wrong , as the theory could be.

burnt
#12 Posted : 11/4/2010 6:26:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
As far as I'd known up until now, is that the generally accepted THEORY as to where DMT is produced endogenously , is the pineal gland, it has the right proteins in abundance and is known (factually) to produce other tryptamines.

Pineal gland thing was pure speculation in regard to dmt. The enzyme that makes dmt is not found there so there is evidence to the contrary.

Global
#13 Posted : 11/4/2010 7:29:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

When I wake up from dreaming, I am often greeted with light-mild DMT patterns. Also smoking DMT usually makes me sleepy 1/2 an hour-several hours afterwards. If I smoke it in the morning, I usually cannot bare to be awake past 11 at night from the sleepiness.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Magicman
#14 Posted : 11/4/2010 7:32:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah ok, i retract that then.
How is it known what enzyme makes DMT?if we dont know where its made we dont know the process do we? and where is that enzyme found?

polytrip
#15 Posted : 11/4/2010 7:47:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
gobalswg wrote:
When I wake up from dreaming, I am often greeted with light-mild DMT patterns.

Yeah, me two. There is definately some link between dreaming and the psychedelic state if you ask me.
That doesn't has to mean that your brain is on DMT when you dream though. Maybe DMT triggers some mechanism that is also happening when you're dreaming, without DMT.

ms_manic_minxx
#16 Posted : 11/4/2010 7:58:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

But the pineal DOES routinely produce other things around 3-4am that CAN be extremely psychedelic and interact with Caapi/DMT... like MELATONIN. Shocked

In my experience, these effects have only become pronounced enough to notice after long-term regular work with Ayahuasca and a hormone-rich, chemically complex, plant food diet... but it's definitely worth noting. Shocked Just because DMT isn't produced in the pineal does not necessarily invalidate all the claims of strange late-night activity--it just means that it's not necessarily DMT!

Most of my endogenous, late-night experiences feel much closer (though not quite identical) to a Caapi-only brew. Homeopathic amounts of melatonin, in the dark, induce an open-eyed hypnogogia and extremely loud carrier wave. The experience usually lasts 3-5 hours, which is beyond the time supposedly needed to metabolize melatonin (45 minutes), so this says to me that SOMETHING else is happening.

Not sure what. Pleased I am no scientist, but I know my own body enough to know that something is definitely going on.
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

BenevolentSon
#17 Posted : 11/4/2010 8:54:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ms_manic_minxx wrote:
But the pineal DOES routinely produce other things around 3-4am that CAN be extremely psychedelic

Oh wow. Thanks Minxx. That may acually explain a lot for me. But do you mean when your just asleep or also at 3-4 when your awake too? I've had really awesome feelings come over me occasionally always around that time in the morning, which either produced a nice life realisation or a pretty amazing moment (being outside observing the night sky and such)

BTW where did your trip report go about the Kundalini/Naked dude? Did it get taken down? I loved that report! Was very kind of you to share something so personal and profound.

Peace and Love.

burnt
#18 Posted : 11/4/2010 10:09:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
Ah ok, i retract that then.
How is it known what enzyme makes DMT?if we dont know where its made we dont know the process do we? and where is that enzyme found?

Benzyme led a good discussion on this topic years ago. I forget the name of the thread though.

Felnik
#19 Posted : 11/5/2010 3:47:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it does mess with sleeping patterns. I find that after some serious journeying I wake up very early in the morning and can't get back to sleep for a couple of days after.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208