We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
My First Bulk Grow! o_O Options

Phantastica
#1 Posted : 10/25/2010 5:51:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54...11593951/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54...11628275/in/photostream/
that's just the 1st flush. 4-6 more to go wooohoo!!
Strain: PC Maza
Substrate: 50/50 manure coir
Phantastica attached the following image(s):
DSCF1516.JPG (149kb) downloaded 597 time(s).
DSCF1517.JPG (148kb) downloaded 597 time(s).
DSCF1518.JPG (153kb) downloaded 596 time(s).
<3

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

jbark
#2 Posted : 10/25/2010 1:27:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice!! Have you done a PFtek with that strain? If so, can you qualify the differences? Are the fruit larger, denser, less aborts etc? Clearly you'll have a better yield by sheer substrate volume, but I am interested in knowing if the fruit themselves are more robust - some of those mushrooms look thick and hearty indeed!!

Another few questions - is your manure storebought or fresh? if fresh, how do you treat it before inoculating? pasteurize or sterilize? I tried to grow pan cyans with storebought cow manure but I never even got the tiniest spot of mycelium, so after 4 months and a ttear in my eye I threw them out...

Cheers,

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Astralking
#3 Posted : 10/25/2010 6:48:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jbark wrote:
Nice!! Have you done a PFtek with that strain? If so, can you qualify the differences? Are the fruit larger, denser, less aborts etc? Clearly you'll have a better yield by sheer substrate volume, but I am interested in knowing if the fruit themselves are more robust - some of those mushrooms look thick and hearty indeed!!

Another few questions - is your manure storebought or fresh? if fresh, how do you treat it before inoculating? pasteurize or sterilize? I tried to grow pan cyans with storebought cow manure but I never even got the tiniest spot of mycelium, so after 4 months and a ttear in my eye I threw them out...

Cheers,

JBArk

Pasturization is better for the bulk. Keeps the good organisms which fight off molds but doesn't effect the mycelium. You want the horse manure to be dry nuggets that pretty much crumble in your hand with no smell.

How did you go about growing pan cyans? I might be able to try help where you went wrong.

In terms of the strain i'm sure you've heard the phrase a cubes a cubes a cube! Yes some strains have big mushrooms, but because of this it means they'll be less of them and the yield will be the same.

Some people argue that there are a few strains that are slightly different such as penis envy. If you've never seen it before you should check out this post on the shroomery:

http://www.shroomery.org...0039/fpart/1/vc/1/nt/80

It compares almost every strain there is and talks about the myths surrounding each one etc.
No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

Phantastica
#4 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:19:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

the pic is of the remaining 1st flush that was harvested today which was growing on the left side of the tub, but was not big enough to be picked yesterday.
Remaining 1st flush.JPG (150kb) downloaded 556 time(s).
<3

Astralking
#5 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:26:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Forgot to mention as well. Nice haul mate Smile

I'm a big fan of 50:50 coir Smile You been growing long?
No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

Phantastica
#6 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:26:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jbark wrote:

Cheers,

JBArk

jbark, yes i've done the pf tek too, and the results are dramatically significant. these are straight monsters compared to the pf cakes ones. below are pics of my pf tek grow, though i only ever did 2 cakes.
The substrate amount i used was 50/50 manure/1brick coir.
the manure was bought, but not from stores. it was bought from a farmer who sold me firefang manure in nugget form. I psateurized it at 140-160F for 2hrs. After that, i kinda made a mistake of letting the hot manure sit under a strong fan for 40 min, to instantly cool it, rather than wait over a 7 hr period. i innoculated right away after the 40 min of strong fan with 4qt of wbs; and by the day 2, the growth was very vigorous.
Ive actually seen almost no abhorts with this strain, whether it be pf tek, or bulkVery happy
DSCF1487.JPG (144kb) downloaded 551 time(s).
DSCF1489.JPG (149kb) downloaded 552 time(s).
DSCF1496.JPG (143kb) downloaded 552 time(s).
<3

Phantastica
#7 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:30:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Astralking wrote:

Very happy i just started recently, and now i see how easy mushroom growing really is. started a month ago, and already feel like a gangstaSmile ...but there's much to learn
<3

Orion
#8 Posted : 11/27/2010 4:27:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shocked bitch bitch bitch.... Shocked

That is one sexual yield Phantastica.

A SEXUAL yield.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Phantastica
#9 Posted : 11/27/2010 7:49:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^^haha i'm glad you're aroused! i know you want that shroom up ur buttLaughing
<3

Orion
#10 Posted : 11/27/2010 2:32:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm dunno they look kinda big Smile
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Soulshine
#11 Posted : 11/27/2010 2:54:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Orion wrote:
Hmm dunno they look kinda big Smile

Yeah some of them do. Personally I like to try and grab a few before the vails break. But i do let some open so the spores drop for the next flush.

Those do look good though. Smile

I haven't grown mushrooms in a couple of years, but i think you've inspired me to once again Phantastica! I think i will try a new method this time though.

Looks like you have a few late nights ahead of youWink
The tragedy of life isn't that it's too short, it's that we take too long to begin it...

-NO TURN UNSTONED-
"Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in !!!"

"Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity" - Pema Chodron

Swarupa
#12 Posted : 11/27/2010 4:31:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I thought you were supposed to prevent spores from dropping as they reduce later flushes?
I always picked mine before the caps opened & usually get a good few big flushes... whereas if i let one big cap open by accident overnight, it drops its spores & the later flushes would be full of aborts

Lovely pics in the OP by the way, i usually wonder why people need to do big grows unless your going to sell them (which is sacrelig imo) but having that in my room would be beautiful, they usually give me intense dreams when they are growing in my room

Soulshine
#13 Posted : 11/27/2010 4:58:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I haven't heard that it reduces flushes. But honestly i haven't done enough research on that particular aspect of the process (b/c i thought it made sense). I was taught some tricks of the trade by a close friend who seemed to know what he was doing. So i went by his word. I wasn't trying to mislead any one, thats just how i've done it.

Maybe next around i will pick them sooner.

I am looking into other methods. I used the popcorn kernels in jars previously, which worked out ok.
We shall see what happens.
The tragedy of life isn't that it's too short, it's that we take too long to begin it...

-NO TURN UNSTONED-

Phantastica
#14 Posted : 11/27/2010 8:50:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Soulshine wrote:
I haven't grown mushrooms in a couple of years, but i think you've inspired me to once again Phantastica! I think i will try a new method this time though.

awesome!! i'm glad i inspired you to pick up the hobby again! there can never be enough shrooms in this world..so the more the merrierSmile

Soulshine wrote:
I thought you were supposed to prevent spores from dropping as they reduce later flushes?
I always picked mine before the caps opened & usually get a good few big flushes... whereas if i let one big cap open by accident overnight, it drops its spores & the later flushes would be full of aborts

hmm..afaik, spores droppings dont reduce future flushes. But i did have kinda small future flushes after my first one, which i blame on my wrong methods of going about dunking the substrate after the 1st flush. i think i put too much weight on top of the substrate to hold it under water..and i think that DRASTICALLY reduced the future flushes since the areas on the sub where the weight was applied almost had no growth for a long time...whereas there was healthy growth in other areas...but now, i'm seeing some growth in those damaged areas. On top of that, i accidentally cracked the cake at about 7 places when picking it out of the water after the dunk cuz it was so fragile due to not having enough depth.
But i dont believe that spore droppings reduce flushes since i have never ever read anything regarding this at shroomery or topia.

As for picking up b4 the veil tearing...i used to believe b4 as well that the shrooms stop producing psilocybin after the veil tears, but no one can be certain of that since no studies have been conducted. these are all just subjective opinions floating around. There are many expert growers who claim that it doesnt matter if you harvest before or after the veil tears...so thats why i dont care much about that anymore. Besides, these are potent as fuck!
the reason i let some of the caps fully open is because i try to find that perfect timing where i can pick AS MANY shrooms as possible without any of them starting to rot. so...sometimes, i let them sit for a day or two even after the caps are flat open so that other smaller ones can mature and i can harvest them altogether, because drying them in small batches is a bitch. but if someone thinks this practice of letting the opened cap shrooms sit out for too long is bad practice, i would like to hear more of it since i'm a noob and only recently got started at thisVery happy
<3

Soulshine
#15 Posted : 11/29/2010 2:15:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im going to be ordering spore syringes with in the next few weeks. Any recomendations as far as what kinds to order?

-NO TURN UNSTONED-

biopsylo
#16 Posted : 12/5/2010 1:34:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
But i dont believe that spore droppings reduce flushes since i have never ever read anything regarding this at shroomery or topia.

As for picking up b4 the veil tearing...i used to believe b4 as well that the shrooms stop producing psilocybin after the veil tears, but no one can be certain of that since no studies have been conducted. these are all just subjective opinions floating around. There are many expert growers who claim that it doesnt matter if you harvest before or after the veil tears...so thats why i dont care much about that anymore.

i have no real experience with this, and the reasons you state make sense for you, but in the book:: "psilocybin mushroom handbook" by L. G. Nicholas and Kerry Ogame, they state the following:

"the best time to harvest is just prior to this point, when the veil is stretched but not broken, since after this point the mushrooms will no longer gain any real weight. In addition, you dont want spores falling onto your casing soil and containers. given the astronomical number of spores produced by a single mushroom, this can make quite a mess; in addition, the gases released by germinating spores can potentially inhibit further fruiting".

i know i like closed caps for eating, tooVery happy
nice grow, enjoy!

Phantastica
#17 Posted : 12/5/2010 2:17:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Soulshine wrote:
Im going to be ordering spore syringes with in the next few weeks. Any recomendations as far as what kinds to order?

sporeprints are cheaper and are easy to convert into spore syringes. but, if u dont care about the pricing, then here are a few sites that offer good quality spore syringes:
http://www.mycrotopia.com/catalog/catalog.php
http://www.ralphstersspores.com/
http://sporeworks.com/
...u can also spend $2 for a sporeprint if you wanna order from http://fsre.nl/..only thing is that they take ~3-4 weeks to deliver it..
mmm..for your first grow, cubes will be best. i think all cubes are more or less pretty potent. but my top 3 choices would be: penis envy, mazatepec, golden teachersSmile

biopsylo wrote:
"the best time to harvest is just prior to this point, when the veil is stretched but not broken, since after this point the mushrooms will no longer gain any real weight. In addition, you dont want spores falling onto your casing soil and containers. given the astronomical number of spores produced by a single mushroom, this can make quite a mess; in addition, the gases released by germinating spores can potentially inhibit further fruiting".

yea i know some places state that, but i dont think there is a single scientific study done on potency pertaining to shroom size/cap opening...though that may still be right. currently, i dont have much time to trip, so i cant subjectively decide upon that, but i will experiment with this further. just to be safe in the future tho, i think i'll harvest before cap opening..cant go wrong with that.
i think you may also be right about the spore dropping reducing flushes, cuz after closer inspection over the past few days, there doesnt appear to be much growth in areas which are covered in spore droppings. the weight i applied probably is the main cause, but i think now that the spores augmented that effect.

biopsylo wrote:
i know i like closed caps for eating, tooVery happy

yea they taste better cuz mature shrooms are covered in millions of spores. its the spores that make em taste unpalatable, but i still dont mind the taste reallySmile
<3

Soulshine
#18 Posted : 12/5/2010 2:44:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the websites and recomendations, ralphstersspores.com looks like a good site. i think i'll try them.

-NO TURN UNSTONED-

Myco
#19 Posted : 12/24/2010 3:37:20 AM

73ฮผ

Phantastica wrote:

that's just the 1st flush. 4-6 more to go wooohoo!!
Strain: PC Maza
Substrate: 50/50 manure coir

In regards to the number of flushes, this is hinged more on how even the pinset is, instead of a set number-- After a little experience you'll use your super-mycological skills and harvest 90% of your mushrooms in the first two flushes. Perhaps three flushes on a big tub.

After the first couple flushes, taking care of the now poorly-fruiting substrate, which is closer day-by-day to possible contamination, is a waste of effort. By tossing that substrate away and putting in its place a new tub/tray/bag you're going to see much, much more weight harvested over time.

In regards to your bulk substrate mix, it sounds good, but consider adding some gypsum (calcium sulfate). It can make up up to 10% of your bulk substrate. It adds calcium and sulfur. It is used in commercial mushroom farming. It improves the growth of the mushrooms.It helps hold the pH steady.

Here's what I like as a mix for a mulk substrate, in case you're interested: Coco-Coir (and/or local Horse Manure), Vermiculite, Gypsum (calcium sulfate), Composted Chicken Manure (3%-5%).

jbark wrote:

...I am interested in knowing if the fruit themselves are more robust - some of those mushrooms look thick and hearty indeed!!

Besides the obvious answer of "genetics" here's a few other things that effect fruit growth:

Cold-fruiting cubensis results in stout, beefy fruiting bodies with very, very thick stipes (stems). The mushrooms grow very slow this way and are very heavy for their size.

There are few "unique" strains but clearly "Penis Envy" is one unique strain- besides its phallic look, the specimens tend to be hearty with thick, well-developed stipes.

Providing lots of air-exchange, such as in a good "greenhouse/Martha" setup or a "Shotgun terrarium" will produce mostly shorter specimens with well developed caps. Keeping CO2 levels higher (by providing less air-exchange) will result in long, increasingly skinny stipes with increasingly smaller caps.

Adding gypsum (calcium sulfate) improves the growth of mushrooms. Fruiting bodies are better developed and you are less likely to see those super thin stipes that many new cultivators complain about.

As I mentioned above, actually slightly reducing air-exchange (like in a classic "mono tub tek"Pleased will produce specimens with longer stipes and increasingly smaller caps, however, my favorite specimens to consume are specimens with short stipes and large caps that are picked young, before the veil thins. BUT the other trick, which I learned from old hands over on the shroomery like Agar, RR, Workman, is to add a handful of composted chicken manure to your bucket of substrate; there isn't any "secret" ingredient, but this is a lesser known addition that can help achieve some large specimens.

jbark wrote:

It needs to be aged manure, and free of cedar shavings (like you see from horse stalls).

Bagged manure sometimes works and sometimes doesn't- a single brand uses different sources depending on the part of the country, so I can't say X-brand works because that same bag where you are may be a different source. Either find it locally for free or just give bagged manure a gamble. Best for cubensis is field-aged horse manure because it has a less muddy texture than cow manure, which is also good.

Pasteurize for cubensis and cyans, but some species do want a sterile bulk substrate. CaptFuture (who just joined the forums here as well) has experience with a lot of species and would know better than me.

Phantastica wrote:

Astralking wrote:

Very happy i just started recently, and now i see how easy mushroom growing really is. started a month ago, and already feel like a gangstaSmile ...but there's much to learn

Yes! Growing cubensis is way easier than many think- helps to live in a mold-free, clean house though. Cubensis is a beginner's species, but even easier is cultivating psychedelic sclerotia from p. mexicana in quart jars invitro.

Chronic wrote:

With some species this is supposed to be a problem, but not with cubensis. Maybe, maybe a very, very heavy spore-depositing specimen could inhibit pin formation in a spot, but even that Iam not sure of.

Phantastica wrote:

.......i did have kinda small future flushes after my first one, which i blame on my wrong methods of going about dunking the substrate after the 1st flush. i think i put too much weight on top of the substrate to hold it under water..and i think that DRASTICALLY reduced the future flushes since the areas on the sub where the weight was applied almost had no growth for a long time...whereas there was healthy growth in other areas...but now, i'm seeing some growth in those damaged areas. On top of that, i accidentally cracked the cake at about 7 places when picking it out of the water after the dunk cuz it was so fragile due to not having enough depth.

That sure didn't help, BUT, once you're seeing very even pinsets where most of the mushrooms come from the first flush or two, this will be considered normal-- The substrate can only produce so much. After the bulk is harvested in the first flush or two, any later flushes generally produce very few, but often larger specimens.

arrive without traveling.

lorentz5
#20 Posted : 1/18/2011 3:33:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Phantastica, your post has been very inspirational to SWIM.

SWIM has been having actual dreams of growing and eating mushrooms as a result of drooling at that picture for several minutes yesterday.

Great work Very happy
I am here
(1) For increased personal power, intellectual understanding, sharpened insight into self and culture, improvement of life situation, accelerated learning, professional growth.
(2) For duty, help of others, providing care, rehabilitation, rebirth for fellow men.
(3) For fun, sensuous enjoyment, aesthetic pleasure, interpersonal closeness, pure experience.
(4) For transcendence, liberation from ego and space-time limits; attainment of mystical union.

12NEXT