We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
WARNING: posting photos of illegal activities taken with GPS-enabled devices is asking for trouble!! Options

hyperspacing
#21 Posted : 10/25/2010 3:41:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Perhaps if you post a bathtub full of mimosa tea. I don't think our small personal extractions are gonna trigger swat kicking down our doors. I know a few big scale MJ growers and any 1 of them will tell you. SEE, SMELL, and TELL are how you get caught.

Still be careful. The only person that can get you caught is YOU.
-Close your eyes, See the light, and feel the sunshine in the shade

~All views, ideas and opinions of this user are strictly fictional and in no way represent an act done in reality.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

jimm
#22 Posted : 10/25/2010 3:45:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

yeh who cares about a few g of dmt, I was just saying we couldnt use it, and it wouldnt work if the capabilities werent inherint in it.

Yes there have been geotag and the like busts, albeit very few.

I would explain who really sees and catalogues everything first (foreigner companies) but you guys would really balk at that.

digital_phreedom
#23 Posted : 10/25/2010 4:19:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jimm...

I've taken several classes on networking and programming, and even though it's been a long time, I still have a decent understanding of how TCP/IP works.. But I guess I don't understand how you're saying that a MAC address can lead to a location? A MAC address is the physical address of your computer, right? It's tagged to your IP, correct.. But it's not tagged to any geographic location. The MAC address tells people which specific computer is using an IP connection. Right? Maybe I'm wrong, but anyway..

And as for all this, in my opinion, over-cautious nonsense.. Have you ever heard of the Echelon project? It's a series of geosynchronized satellites in orbit around the Earth, capable of intercepting almost every form of electronic communication, including: phone calls, faxes, cell phone calls, e-mails, texts, and more. It's being used by several countries, including the US, England, Canada, Australia, and a few more I think. Every country except the US has admitted to it's existence except for the US. There's even a national "flood Echelon" day.

But even with technology like that, they're still not going after the 'little guys'. It's used for extreme measures of national security. And although I hate the idea of it, it has yet to impact my life in any perceivable way.
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Ginkgo
#24 Posted : 10/25/2010 4:25:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

While I see your point and I do agree that we seem to be moving towards a Big Brother society, I can't see that we are there yet. Of course, techniques do exist to track the big fishes, but it doesn't seem to be any great deal of attention aimed against normal people. If it were, we would have seen much more happen to us and others.

I feel that you are overreacting. It is not a hard task to remove the geotag from the metainformation in any picture. Even if the geotag is still there, I highly doubt authorities will take action. Nevertheless it may be a good idea to remove the geotags if you put up a picture. It should also be possible to write a little code snippet to automatically strip all metainformation from any uploaded pictures, if Traveler or someone else have the time.

Oh, and one last thing...
Ginkgo attached the following image(s):
paranoia critters.png (603kb) downloaded 175 time(s).

jimm
#25 Posted : 10/25/2010 4:28:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

echelon is bullshit, old ass tech, the real stuff im not going to refer too.

I never said they are going after the little guys, at this point in time at least.

They are however about to try to pull the plug on the net as we know it, and will use things like wikileaks as a stumping point. they have already won the killswitch shit. When the shit hits the fan, they may just start going after the little guy with old recorded data. CYA my brews CYA.

A MAC is both a serial number and used for location.

they know the serial number you bought and watch what comes and goes from it, combine that with data storage and you have a case, wha-la...

Although you would have to do something pretty bad for them to use it in court, the point is more broad, that its possible and that people are watching and taping.

digital_phreedom
#26 Posted : 10/25/2010 6:34:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You're still not explaining how a MAC address can be tied in to a location... The MAC address is stamped on to the NIC card at the factory.. It's obviously not tied to any location yet. Then you buy the computer and receive it. At what point does that NIC/MAC combination get tied to your specific location?

And I thought that the US government lost the whole "kill switch" thing?

Even if they win, it's impossible to shut down the internet. They would have to gain control of too many corporate controlled and proprietary systems. It's impossible for them to shut it all off (at this point).

And although that diagram you posted is easy to understand... it doesn't count as a source.. Haha.

But yeah, Echelon is pretty old now, and I'm sure that much more sophisticated stuff has taken it's place. But the point I was trying to illustrate is that Echelon has been around for a long time.. When it's existence was first made public people freaked out. But has it affected you? Or me? Not at all. Not in any way I can see anyway.

So even with geotags, for the most part, people like us won't be affected.

And if other people here are like me, and feel that what they're doing isn't bad, then hiding only makes us feel guilty of something.. No people in any movement or culture ever got ahead by hiding in the closet.

jimm
#27 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:01:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

man this shit gets tiring

That pic is not a source, its just an illustration the source is the EFF case against ATT look it up. Its so well known I figured it needed no source.

they can tie a mac to a loc with recorded user data, I already said that.

If you operate a ISP and the guys in black show up with guns pointed at you, then you start shutting shit down.

Besides the US operates the top level name servers, all they have to do it turn those off and bam no internet.

Your not in a movement dude, your a guy at home behind a computer manufacturing schedule 1 drugs.

digital_phreedom
#28 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:11:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Look Jimm..

First of all, I don't actually smoke DMT. I haven't tried that yet. So I don't manufacture anything. I do drink Ayahuasca though.

And I don't know why you're so frustrated. I haven't been trying to come off as rude or condescending. The comment about your pic not being a source was only a joke.

I am offended that you tell me I'm not in a movement. I don't think that's for you to decide. And calling me a guy sitting at home making drugs seems like a direct attack on me or my character, and I have done no such thing to you. I've told you I didn't understand certain things you said, and asked you to help explain. I've also expressed my own opinions.

I thought this was just two intelligent people arguing/exchanging their opinions. I had no idea you were taking this so personally. So I apologize if I upset you, and I'm going to quietly back out of this conversation now.

jimm
#29 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:17:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Im just sick of reiterating and having to show sources when you can just search, I dont know you personally or what you do at home, im speaking hypothetically from what people would be doing from looking at this site.

I really havent attacked you and im exchanging facts not opinions, just crack a book or something its all there, basic basic networking

digital_phreedom
#30 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:22:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's why I was asking for sources.. I know a fair amount about computers and networking, at least enough that I've been able to earn a living fixing computers and doing simple networking for companies for the past several years, and I still don't understand what you're saying. That's all. But either way, sorry for letting that get to the point that it did. That's not needed here, and certainly not in line with the attitude of this site. Also I don't want to get this thread off topic.

So like I said, I apologize.

jimm
#31 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:25:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I dont see why you would need to apologize, were not getting so crazy here buddy no hard feelings

obliguhl
#32 Posted : 10/25/2010 7:28:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Strangely enough, i thougt about this problem just yesterday! Shows that we are interconnected and starting to work as a hive mind. It's very much needed. I think this concern is very legit and i urge everyone to check your pictures before submitting. This will grow into a problem if we start to get too careless. Afterall, connecting with the spiritual world is taboo in our society.

etybdrawkcab
#33 Posted : 10/25/2010 9:25:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just to be sure if post a pic with something you wouldn't show the police. I would copy it into paint and resave it as a bmp or png or something other than a geotagged pic

etybdrawkcab is a fictional character living under the sea
and only in existence because my talented imagination

alleyezonme
#34 Posted : 10/25/2010 9:43:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

No offense to you digital_phreedom, but every single one of your posts seems like you've had rainbow magic fairy dust sprinkled all over your world. The government isn't full of nice guys who give two shits about who you are or if you are a nice person or not, they really could care less. Your posts are very naive.

ouro
#35 Posted : 10/25/2010 9:59:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This thread started out fairly ridiculous and it hasn't changed much. If you are worried/paranoid but still feel the desire to post pictures there are many free meta-data strippers available on the web to remove this supposed incriminating data. Some forums automatically remove meta data from uploaded files, but its not wise to rely on that if you are seriously worried about incriminating yourself.

My uneducated and mostly fanciful guesswork: anyone would have to get the attention of authorities some other way before leo would use internet forum data as evidence against them.

As for my pics, they are all clever manipulations of NaCl taken by an anonymous stranger, and I only post them and lie about their identities to get ego strokes from strangers in nexusland Pleased

digital_phreedom
#36 Posted : 10/25/2010 10:00:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well sorry? I've spent 2 1/2 years of my life behind bars.. 1 whole year of that in a maximum security prison (for a non-violent drug crime, go figure). So umm.. I wouldn't say I'm naive. But I'm a humanist, and I'm optimistic. My life in infinitely better today than it ever has been.

You are your world, so when you change, the whole world changes. Perspective is important.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with being careful. I'm just doing what works for me. I'm not trying to push my beliefs or lifestyle on anyone else, just expressing my opinions.

But yeah.. You can't really be naive after a year in a max joint. Trust me.

jimm
#37 Posted : 10/25/2010 10:08:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

which one were you in if you care to share.

Im pretty sure the spooks are watching these sites very carefully.

There are at least 10 major ones which I wont list, but i'm sure we all know already.

digital_phreedom
#38 Posted : 10/25/2010 10:09:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah.. I don't really wanna say here on the board. But I'll pm you in just a second.

jimm
#39 Posted : 10/25/2010 10:21:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

If you guys 'member strike, teh hive, synthetikal...

Lots of peeps were busted from the sites logs. from the publicity no doubt, and this site is definitely a different thing, and you cant make any money of the thing here but still lessons must be learned.

by the way your isp has access to the router they provided you which lists all your mac addresses in the filter table, unless you have icmp requests turned off. Thats the easiest way I can describe, there are other ways for them to extract the data from traffic however it would be long and drawn out to explain.

just to illustrate the possible.

ragabr
#40 Posted : 10/26/2010 2:50:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ouro, clearly any meta-data strippers online are actually run by the NSA, creating copies of every image and flagging each person who uses them. Jus' sayin'.

;-)
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

PREV123NEXT