We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Evap naphtha before freeze percip Options

alleyezonme
#1 Posted : 10/23/2010 3:57:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has been trying to freeze percip my naphtha for about 20 hours now, and while a few crystals did form, it was very very few. SWIM used more naphtha then required, and after reading the more saturated the naphtha is the better it will percip, SWIM is trying to evap some of the solvent first.

Every where SWIM has read it seems that people do not use heat to help evap the naphtha, and SWIM was curious as to why? Could SWIM not put his dish in a food dehydrator at a low temp (~95 - 115) and help speed up the evap? Would this hurt the yield or product in anyway?

Thanks for all the help

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

justine
#2 Posted : 10/23/2010 4:16:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Naphta is flammable and that's why you must be very careful when heating it, some people use a hot water bath + fan to evap faster, you can try this, it's quite safe but some dmt
will oxidise.
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

justine
#3 Posted : 10/23/2010 4:18:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, depending on your freezer temp. and the amount of dmt dissolved in your naphta you may need to leave it in the freezer for up to 72h.
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

alleyezonme
#4 Posted : 10/23/2010 4:30:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

DMT can oxidize while it is still dissolved in the naphtha?! SWIM thought it would first have to be in it's solid form.

SWIMs freezer does seem to not get cold enough, it took a very long time to even start seeing anything percip out. Thank you for all the help, a little trial and error but everything seems to be going very well.

justine
#5 Posted : 10/23/2010 4:35:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, dmt can oxidise while still in a solvent, I've seen some n oxide crash at the bottom of a flask while using only a fan to evap. But don't worry, it's usually not much.
- William Blake

alleyezonme
#6 Posted : 10/23/2010 6:08:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Damn, ok thank you. Is naphtha similar to acetone in that it will dissolve most plastics?

justine
#7 Posted : 10/23/2010 6:34:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

alleyezonme wrote:
Damn, ok thank you. Is naphtha similar to acetone in that it will dissolve most plastics?

Yep, you've gotta use HDPE plastic.
- William Blake

Rivea
#8 Posted : 10/23/2010 7:36:41 PM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

and I prefer glass for all aspects of extractions
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

alleyezonme
#9 Posted : 10/23/2010 8:16:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM hasn't used strictly glass and metal, just making sure before using any plastic products. Crystals seems to be freeze percip fairly nicely at this point. Will post again when finished.

justine
#10 Posted : 10/23/2010 8:36:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, imao glass (even borosilicated/pyrex) is quite a hazard since it can shatter pretty easily.
- William Blake

rave420
#11 Posted : 10/23/2010 9:24:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

i have used naphtha and plastics of all kind together, and never had a problem *shrugs*
do a test and find out. However, other solvents like Acetone and Toluene better keep them away from plastic. You can see the plastic melt when it touches the solvent. However, naphtha is relatively gentle on most plastics. Do a test to find out. Ziploc Containers and plastic basters have never given me problems.

Lavos
#12 Posted : 10/24/2010 7:33:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, I recall similar experiences recently. Too much naptha was added initially, and after 24 hours in a freezer, hardly any crystals. A fan plus a pyrex dish and I evapped out 300+ml in a couple of hours. No flames! No smells rolling to charlies!

Another time I did this and thought I had nothing. I wiped my finger in the plate and realized there was some oily stuff. I thought it was naptha still trying to evaporate, as I had one measly crystal on the high side. Anyway, luckily I smell everything, and the stuff on my finger smelled like straight plastic. I had let the dmt melt as the naptha evaporated. Oops! Brought it in and 30 minutes later I was scraping up a good bit. Laughing Some say evaporated is more dangerous than the freeze method, I can't confirm this.
My ego is insane, but I'm alright

The path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. -William Blake

Lavos is a fictional character, a dream inside a dream. Don't take what he says to be true or representational of reality in any known form. He is inspired by pure fantasy.

marz
#13 Posted : 10/24/2010 10:22:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

depending on how saturated your solvent is and how many ml you have it should look like a clearance yellowish pee color try freezing it if nothing if nothing falls out your solvent evp to a more concentrated amount then freeze this should work
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution

Lavos
#14 Posted : 10/25/2010 1:50:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Concerning the above, the color of the solvent, I have noticed something.

In a high heat bath, ie, tub/sink cranked on high, put container in for couple hours, and you will have a dark unhealthy looking piss color solvent. This can be a misrepresentation of the saturation. Before the heat bath I had done a test evap run, maybe 100 ml tops. This looked to have only a very faint yellow in the jar, so I didn't want to do a full pull (I mean I took less than half as usual) When placed in an evaporation dish, it looked completely clear. Somehow still, I yielded .5 gram here, of VERY light colored stuff of course. And from the dark yellow solvent, 1.5g, jungle like. I estimate the yellow naptha to have been about 175-200ml. I did get more per amount of solvent from the yellow stuff, but not as much more as I would have thought.

Now I could have destroyed some of the spice in my high heat bath. I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge in this field. But in the future, I will always do a first pull without any added heat, and I now know that even very clear colored naptha can contain a good bit of spice.
My ego is insane, but I'm alright

The path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. -William Blake

Lavos is a fictional character, a dream inside a dream. Don't take what he says to be true or representational of reality in any known form. He is inspired by pure fantasy.