We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
pKa and Drug Absorption Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 6/24/2008 12:29:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Take a look at this info I found on the net:

Quote:
This is really important with regard to local anaesthetics. The essential fact to know is that highly ionized drugs cannnot cross lipid membranes (basically they can't go anywhere) and unionised drugs can cross freely. Morphine is highly ionised, fentanyl is the opposite. Consequently the latter has a faster onset of action. The degree of ionisation depends on the pKa of the drug and the pH of the local environment. The pKa is the the pH at which the drug is 50% ionised. Most drugs are either weak acids or weak bases. Acids are most highly ionised at a high pH (i.e. in an alkaline environment). Bases are most highly ionised in an acidic environment (low pH). For a weak acid, the more acidic the environment, the less ionised the drug, and the more easily it crosses lipid membranes. If you take this acid, at pKa it is 50% ionised, if you add 2 pH points to this (more alkaline), it becomes 90% ionised, if you reduce the pH (more acidic) by two units, it becomes 10% ionised. Weak bases have the opposite effect.

Local anaesthetics are weak bases: the closer the pKa of the local anaesthetic to the local tissue pH, the more unionised the drug is. That is why lignocaine(pKa 7.7) has a faster onset of action than bupivicaine (pKa 8.3). If the local tissues are alkalinised (e.g. by adding bicarbonate to the local anaesthetic), then the tisssue pH is brought closer to the pKa, and the onset of action is hastened.

How does this apply to DMT? Well, the pKa of DMT in ethanol/water is 8.68. The pH range of the mouth is 5.6-6.9. The nasal pH is usually about 6.4. So in order to have DMT absorb faster sublingually in DMSO, the solution should have a pH near that of DMT's pKa. Sodium carbonate has a pH of 8.2, so adding it should help the DMT absorb faster. This should also work for using DMT as snuff as well. This helps explain why lime (the base calcium hydroxide) is often used in oral quid preparations. It would held some alkaloids absorb quicker by keeping the local tissue more close to the alkaline pKa of the alkaloids.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

burnt
#2 Posted : 6/24/2008 1:20:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
This helps explain why lime (the base calcium hydroxide) is often used in oral quid preparations.

yep this is correct. pka is a very important factor in understanding how a drug will distibute in the body etc.