We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Screening the receptorome for plant-based psychoactive compounds Options

Reborn
#1 Posted : 6/24/2008 5:53:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Study I just stumbled upon.
http://www.sciencedirect...27d591d3fe520dcf55bcaba2

Anyone read this?
I will pull down the PDF tomorrow at work.
I can attach PDF tomorrow but hmm that might impinge copyrights.
Admins ideas on that?

Minireview
Screening the receptorome for plant-based psychoactive compounds

Kerry Ann O'Connora and Bryan L. Rotha, b, c, ,

aDepartment of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA

bDepartment of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA

cDepartment of Psychiatry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA

Available online 6 October 2005.

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Abstract
Throughout time, humans have used psychoactive plants and plant-derived products for spiritual, therapeutic and recreational purposes. Furthermore, the investigation of psychoactive plants such as Cannabis sativa (marijuana), Nicotiana tabacum (tobacco) and analogues of psychoactive plant derivatives such as lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) have provided insight into our understanding of neurochemical processes and diseases of the CNS. Currently, many of these compounds are being used to treat a variety of diseases, such as depression and anxiety in the case of Piper methysticum Kava Kava (Martin et al., 2002; Singh and Singh, 2002). G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs) are the most common molecular target for both psychoactive drugs and pharmaceuticals. The “receptorome” (that portion of the genome encoding ligand reception) encompasses more than 8% of the human genome (Roth et al., 2004) and as such provides a large number of possible targets for psychoactive drug interactions. A systematic, comprehensive study is necessary to identify novel active psychoactive plant-based compounds and the molecular targets of known compounds. Herein we describe the development of a high throughput system (HTS) to screen psychoactive compounds against the receptorome and present two examples (Salvia divinorum, the “magic mint” hallucinogen and Banisteriopsis caapi, the main component of Ayahuasca, a psychoactive beverage) where HTS enabled the identification of the molecular target of each compound.

Keywords: GPCR; Salvinorin A; Ayahuasca

Memory, prophecy and fantasy
-the past, the future and the dreaming moment between -
are all in one country, living one immortal day.
To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

benzyme
#2 Posted : 6/24/2008 6:10:13 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

whatever happened to good ol' radio-tagged bioassays? they were implemented heavily in the 70's, a lot of what we know about DMT and its metabolites resulted from this method
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Reborn
#3 Posted : 6/24/2008 6:40:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Nothing against the old methods at all, get the feeling you dont like the words High throughput Smile
But I won't vouch for the study; I haven't read it yet, just sounded interesting.
I was a bit perplexed about technically how he is doing it. Obviously the abstract says little.
So I will weigh in on that tomorrow.
But that said this guy has an outstanding recent publication record.
http://pdsp.med.unc.edu/...ewPerson.php?personID=13

Go a few down he just got a PNAS publication on Salvia

I was a bit surprised to see he wrote 4-5 reviews on this receptorome topic but no primary literature yet.

Okay take that all back I see how is doing it now, check out Figure 3.
http://pdsp.med.unc.edu/...iews/viewDiscoveries.php
Thats pretty straightforward.
Memory, prophecy and fantasy
-the past, the future and the dreaming moment between -
are all in one country, living one immortal day.
To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 6/24/2008 7:04:28 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

the kappas are trendy to study nowadays, I guess.
was hoping for more studies on sigmas, which used to be considered opioid receptors not long ago. though both are about as well documented as the ocean floor.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

shoe
#5 Posted : 6/27/2008 5:44:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

this is excellent!

what a find Smile great study too.

if theres one thing we need, its more things that fit into our notches.
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!