We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The "Leftovers" Options

muad dib
#1 Posted : 10/19/2010 4:51:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Let's say someone is having trouble removing all of the spice from 8oz. widemouth Mason jars. What would be the best way to collect the remnants that cannot easily be scraped?

Since the amount of remnants is fairly small, should you just chalk it up to loss or is it worth a bit of work?

I would assume warm naptha could redissolve the material. If redissolved in naptha, would it be advisable to move the solvent from each jar once the spice is dissolved and placed into another jar to try to get closer to saturation? Is mixing the remnants of various pulls recommended in this scenario?

After all of the residual spice is gathered into one vessel, I assume you would want to do an additional NaCO wash to remove any dust that may have been introduced, evaporate and then freeze precipitate?

I know it could be considered too much work for too little to gain, but wasting spice just feels wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Muad'dib

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

gammagore
#2 Posted : 10/19/2010 5:04:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If I cant get to the last little bit, and if there is enough in there to bother with, then id add some warn napta or acetone and pick it all up, then evap in a separate, easy to scrape dish.

And ye sure you can mix all the remnants together, just do a re-x or SC wash if needed.

Apoc
#3 Posted : 10/19/2010 5:08:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

you got it. Redissolve in whatever solvent, then just put it in a container that will be easier for you to collect the spiz. Yes, you can wash if you want.

muad dib
#4 Posted : 10/19/2010 5:28:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Many thanks!

Muad'dib