We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Aroud The House: Quick, Easy, and Cheap Glassware Subs Options

Astralking
#1 Posted : 10/18/2010 10:25:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What tek are you using man? Seems unusual that you'd need a seperatory funnel for a first extraction.
No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Trickster
#2 Posted : 10/18/2010 10:36:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

hydrocarbon wrote:
What else have you all come up with to (safely) use in place of standard lab ware?

Tried lots of things. Syringes, pipettes, turkey basters... All of them work. Kind of.

But nothing beats a sep funnel.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Rivea
#3 Posted : 10/19/2010 4:58:36 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

Trickster wrote:
hydrocarbon wrote:
What else have you all come up with to (safely) use in place of standard lab ware?

Tried lots of things. Syringes, pipettes, turkey basters... All of them work. Kind of.

But nothing beats a sep funnel.

I agree wholeheartedly with Trickster. Once you have a separation funnel you will wonder why you suffered through even considering using anything else.
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

spaceship
#4 Posted : 10/19/2010 5:51:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i read this somewhere:

"i agree, a sep funnel makes life a lot easier. i'm about to do my first extraction in years and have found that mine didn't make it over here when i moved Sad

causes a nagging rage every time i think about it . . . *sigh*"

i'd be tempted to use a little plastic syringe if it were me and i didn't know how infuriating that can be.

Bert
#5 Posted : 10/21/2010 6:20:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

spaceship wrote:
i read this somewhere:

"i agree, a sep funnel makes life a lot easier. i'm about to do my first extraction in years and have found that mine didn't make it over here when i moved Sad

causes a nagging rage every time i think about it . . . *sigh*"

i'd be tempted to use a little plastic syringe if it were me and i didn't know how infuriating that can be.

The problem with a plastic syringe is that some solvents will eat it up. Medical glass droppers work, but they're usually too small to be of primary use. Sep funnel is the way to go.

alzabo
#6 Posted : 10/22/2010 1:18:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's very inventive, hydrocarbon. Do you have any pics to share?

I have been eyeing this hdpe bottle of toilet bowl cleaner. It's designed to be turned upside down and let liquid run out of the nozzle. The cap screws out to let liquid flow out the nozzle and screws back to stop the flow. With a couple chopsticks epoxied to the cap, it would get a really smooth action. All that would be needed after that would be to cut off the bottom and mount it upside down in a stand. The cap is likely not hdpe but with a good buffer of acidified water, that shouldn't be any trouble. I figure that it's not necessary to retrieve all the aqueous layer in the salting step because it can be diluted with more water and drained some while still leaving a healthy buffer between the non-polar solvent and the cap. Eventually the amount of goodies in the aqueous layer will approach zero. The only downside to this is that there is extra water to evap. If I try this, there will be pics.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.