We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
added lye chunky/sludgy grey? need help =] Options

xprophecyx
#1 Posted : 10/18/2010 8:58:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

added 600 ML of white vinegar. to 60 grams MHRB. following QT's procedure but i wanted to combine with marsofold and vovin's, trying to do it most natural.defatted 5 times (120 Ml naptha each time). added about 190ML of distilled water to 30 grams 100% pure lye. ph read 12 of solution, added to aqueous solution. Then added 60 Ml of naptha. Slowly stirred and a chunky/ sludgy grey color formed, shook it up, thick emulsions formed. Let chill for 2 days an the grey is sinking to the bottom and above it is blackish brown and emulsions on top..with NO naptha in site..this may be normal but im not completely sure. must i wait longer? any advice would be great. please dont bash on me ima n00b

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

gammagore
#2 Posted : 10/18/2010 9:56:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The whole mimosa soup should be black, no emulsions. If its grey add more base till its all jet black.

Noman
#3 Posted : 10/19/2010 3:22:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah the solution isn't basified enough.
QT's tek is wrong.
Don't use it.
Ever.

Trickster
#4 Posted : 10/19/2010 6:23:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

xprophecyx wrote:
added 600 ML of white vinegar. to 60 grams MHRB. following QT's procedure but i wanted to combine with marsofold and vovin's, trying to do it most natural.defatted 5 times (120 Ml naptha each time).

De-fatting is not really necessary even once.

xprophecyx wrote:
added about 190ML of distilled water to 30 grams 100% pure lye. ph read 12 of solution, added to aqueous solution. Then added 60 Ml of naptha. Slowly stirred and a chunky/ sludgy grey color formed

Gray color means - Not enough Lye.

xprophecyx wrote:
.... it is blackish brown

That's how all your aqueous basic solution should look like.

xprophecyx wrote:
and emulsions on top..

Emultion is often caused by insufficient basification. But you better not shake it too vigorously anyway. I used to seal my jar with a plastic cap and roll it on the floor back and forth for a few minutes.

xprophecyx wrote:
with NO naptha in site..this may be normal but im not completely sure. must i wait longer?

Your naphta partially evapped and partially is trapped in the emulsion.

Add more lye. Stir gently. Do it until your aqueous solution is uniformly brown/black. You may have to add 30 g of lye or more. Your emulsion should be gone soon. See if there is any naphta left. Act accordingly.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.