We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Could crude Manske product benefit from np wash? Options

Crystalito
#1 Posted : 10/17/2010 3:04:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I was wondering if anyone has tried the following:

Get the crude DRIED product of 3X manske and try to redissolve it in hexane/naptha. Of course it will not dissolve since its in hydrochloride salt form, but maybe some impurities might migrate to the hexane. Then a basification precipitation could follow once the precipitant is dried.

The thought behind this is that Peganum harmala seems to have lots of oils/compounds making thorough filtering a cumbersome procedure and lately Phlux has mentioned "deffating" the aqueous layer using limonene helpfull as far as filtering goes. I am thinking that some impurities that could be soluble in a non polar solvent could possibly co-precipitate with harmalas during a Manske.

Any thoughts or experiments on this?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 10/17/2010 4:33:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it was phlux that did this with limonene and the limonene picked up a lot of red colour. He said he thinks it was just impurities being dissolved, though I still wonder if it isnt any harmala red forming and yield being lost.

I would experiment with limo manske defat, not with naphtha because it would kinda go against the whole purpouse of keeping the extraction food-safe (though some people might not care)

Crystalito
#3 Posted : 10/23/2010 1:50:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quick update on it :

A crude manske extract (3x Manske) was washed while it was in powder form , with hexane. Hexane acquired a rather dark color which upon close inspection it seems to have the color of olive oil but way way way darker (almost appearing black-brown). The hexane wash seems very easy to filter even through a coffee filter. A teaspoon of it was evaporated and left back what seems like a tasteless yellow-brown wax like film.

The powder was dried and not much of a difference was noted in each appearence compared to its previous state. I do not know if this would influence the filtering of the powder after dissolution with water.

Logically , beta-carbolines in HCl salt form should not be soluble in hexane right? At least taste does not prove to be bitter, more like non-existent.