We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
tannin binding with egg whites + pics -UPDATED WITH RESULTS Options

olympus mon
#1 Posted : 10/16/2010 8:19:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

some of us are still looking for that almighty perfect balance between potency and purge.

from my personal experience ive about wasted enough caapi vine to know that clearing the brew via freezing it and or too many days decanting takes away the nausea but also takes away far too much activity.
ive drank 140g and had little to no effects from the same vine and brew that 75g un cleared juat about kicked my ass.

the next logical step and where i hope the perfect balance lays with is protein binding the tannins while leaving the plant matter that seems to have a much higher amount of alkaloids per volume than the liquid ever could.
clearing the brew too much could also contribute to the greatly varying dosages and epic failed attempts from people drinking triple digits of caapi reporting back un success.
as my above statement shows i drank almost twice as much caapi and had no effects when it was cleared compared to un cleared brews. considering i have never seen anyone mention this when suggesting a dosage for a person makes me wonder if that info would be helpful to them.

so here are some shots of the egg white method. i was reducing my mimosa and white caapi in separate pots. i added 1 raw egg white to each kinda like poaching. let lightly boil for 1 hour and removed.
i then added 1 cooked egg white spread very thin and flat to each pot and simmered an additional 30-45 min but let the egg remain in the brews while they cooled.

observations- tannins are freaking weird ass things!Laughing the egg whites get incredibly firm and when left to dry for a short while become solid matter. i even ate a small piece (in the name of research :lolSmile and it made my tongue get that little numb tingly feeling. gross btw dont advise it.
the tannin rich egg whites look fascinating up close. you can kind of see how they infiltrated the egg matter rather than settled upon it. like petrification.

none of this is new information but maybe this could help others. im having knee surgery on Monday so i hope to take advantage of the down time. ill be drinking as soon as i am off painkillers and report back on the nausea and potency levels.
olympus mon attached the following image(s):
tannin binding 1.jpg (278kb) downloaded 1,594 time(s).
tannin binding2.jpg (357kb) downloaded 1,591 time(s).
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

WSaged
#2 Posted : 10/16/2010 8:55:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, that's freaking disgusting!!

I've tried this too, but was never able to get it to solidify into a solid piece like that, just a bunch of little shreds.

Detailed Instructions?

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

olympus mon
#3 Posted : 10/17/2010 2:04:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

there kinda of cool in person. that pic looks like i microwaved dog shit and snapped a photo. Laughing they feel like plastic almost. that pic they are pretty much dry. all that glare isnt moisture. weird huh?

wsaged-

heres more details, both ways worked. dropping raw egg into the pot was good but cooking egg whites on low heat in a pan making a large flat thin pancake of egg white then placing on top of boiling brew seemed to work better. more surface area im guessing. i also anchored the egg to the center of the pot and mostly submerged with a small baby spoon.

if you ended up with shredded particles of egg try this. bring the tea up to a roaring boil then remove from heat. drop egg in once water is no longer bubbling. the egg will collect on the bottom and cook. it will float to the surface when its ready to start boiling again and should hold its shape from then on.
try organic eggs. conventional egg whites are water thin compared to real farm eggs. however conventional eggs with the thinner whites are better for the pancake method. they spread out more evenly in a frying pan.

also leaving the egg in while it cools really made a difference. when i did this the egg got the most plastic like. this to me says removed more tannins.

other interesting fact is that it changed the brew's color and opacity in the exact opposite way i would have guessed. the teas became darker in color and more opaque especially the mimosa. it has a deep purple blueish tint now when before it looked more like cranberry black tea.

so now my ever ending brain is wondering how many times can you repeat this before it would have negative effects on the brew. from the looks of my second binding boil i didn't see any end in sight. the egg kept pulling more and more stuff (hopefully all tannins) out the longer it sat.

Saidin
#4 Posted : 10/17/2010 4:23:31 AM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

Interesting that you left it in so long...

When I've done tannin binding, I wait until I am reducing the brew, no point in doing it while the plant material is still in the pot. Drop in egg whites, let it come to a boil and pull them out within 1 minute. This has always been sufficient for reducing nausea while not reducing efficacy.
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

Malaclypse
#5 Posted : 10/17/2010 10:57:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the pics mon! It really does help a little bit to understand what happens to the egg, I wasn't quite sure when reading some of the binding "techs" posted on the forum.

Hope it works out well for you. Of course if I remember right this was the first time with white Caapi from maya, so that is a new variable added into the mix. If this works for nausea you must try again with your normal vendor's stuff to see what happens then Smile

1 <3

WSaged
#6 Posted : 10/19/2010 5:16:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

olympus mon wrote:
that pic looks like i microwaved dog shit and snapped a photo. Laughing

HA!! that's exactly what it looks like!!! HA!!! Laughing

olympus mon wrote:
so now my ever ending brain is wondering how many times can you repeat this before it would have negative effects on the brew. from the looks of my second binding boil i didn't see any end in sight. the egg kept pulling more and more stuff (hopefully all tannins) out the longer it sat.

Good question my mon!! keep experimenting!!

Thanks for the advice & pics I've tried traditional 1-minute egg-white cleaning before & was a bit underwhelmed by the results, seems there is a better way!!Wink

Cheers!
WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malaclypse
#7 Posted : 10/19/2010 5:36:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

WSaged wrote:

Thanks for the advice & pics I've tried traditional 1-minute egg-white cleaning before & was a bit underwhelmed by the results, seems there is a better way!!Wink

Cheers!
WS

Underwhelmed as in the nausea was still very strong, or underwhelmed as in the caapi (or whatever you were binding) was weaker?

digital_phreedom
#8 Posted : 10/19/2010 6:56:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! Awesome post mon, thanks for the pics! Indeed, it looks like one of those things that's so intriguingly disgusting.. you just have to show somebody!

"Oh my god.. It's so.. GROSS! .... Dude, come check this shit out!"

Looking forward to hearing more back on this!
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

olympus mon
#9 Posted : 10/19/2010 7:07:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Laughing Laughing Laughing ^^^
now i just need to see how the brew works and feels. i had knee surgery yesterday so as soon as im of pain killers ill give her a go.
i cant figure out why other egg teks say just 1 min. it took a good while for the tannins to start binding with the egg i hope i didn't screw up another batchConfused all in the name of research so its all good i guess.

WSaged
#10 Posted : 10/19/2010 7:11:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Malaclypse wrote:
Underwhelmed as in the nausea was still very strong, or underwhelmed as in the caapi (or whatever you were binding) was weaker?

As in it didn't seem to work well, or clean it up that much.
Didn't helped with nausea either, just with getting it down, less oily, disgusting texture/tatse.

WS

jaguar
#11 Posted : 10/19/2010 10:15:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That is very interesting mon. SWIM lately increased his tannin-removal by using a lot more gelatine than usually (for his mimosa tea). At first he thought it was his imagination, but he somehow felt that removing too much tannins in fact decreased the potency of the brew.

At the beginning, when it all started, when he never cared about the tannins and left them in, he had of course more nausea, but also much "brighter" experiences (in his subjective opinion of course). So maybe he should try skipping the gelatine step next time, just to compare..

And besides: I know quite some experienced aya drinkers (who have worked with the tea several hundred times already) and everyone of them shakes the good old plastic aya bottle before drinking.

olympus mon
#12 Posted : 10/20/2010 1:42:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hola jaguar- i agree. the most powerful caapi experiences ive had were when i shake and drank. actually ive never even come close to the level of caapi intoxication when ever i cleared the brews. im really hoping that this brew will be as powerful but less purging from such a long tannin binding reduction.

the vine i used this time was from maya. it broke apart so easily but made more powdery sediment than ive ever seen. ive left all of this sediment in the brew this time while hopefully removed the majority of tannins.

you raise an interesting question though jaguar whether or not tannins hold onto goodies. my gut tells me with the amount of sediment i have its going to be a strong powerful caapi experience. the brew is quite thick with concentration having a chocolate milk consistency. i just need to drink it and find out.

obliguhl
#13 Posted : 10/20/2010 8:55:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting research you are doing here. Im very interested in your observations, as I have also noticed, that thoroughly decanted brews are much much weaker. If it only binds the tannins, its great news. Keep me updated on this.

jaguar
#14 Posted : 10/20/2010 4:40:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@mon:

Or you just filter out the powder and dry it, then use a sufficient amount, eat it or drink it in fresh (acidified?) water. Just to see if there are any goodies at all in the powder. How about that?

alzabo
#15 Posted : 10/21/2010 6:46:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Does this process remove the astringent taste or drying of the mouth from the mimosa portion?
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

olympus mon
#16 Posted : 10/21/2010 7:31:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl-i am almost feel ready to stop taking my pain meds so hopefuly ill have some good feedback for everyone in a couple of days when i drink this new brew.

jaguar- i have separated the powdery sediment before and drank it. it has a goodies thats for sure Very happy possibly more active than the cleared liquid it came from. however since no tannin binding was done there was more nausea present.
i agree if this technique only binds the tannins we definitely have something to be excited about.

alzabo- although i haven't drank mimosa using this method yet i have drank cleared mimosa from freeze decanting. yes that astringent nasty film left behind is eliminated when tannins are removed.

after i saw what tannins did to the egg whites its no wonder we purge. they are really strange and tough little particles of doom.

obliguhl
#17 Posted : 10/24/2010 1:25:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No need to hurry, better be safe!
I could not help but try it myself. I combined the boils and diluted with water so it would stop beeing chocolate milk but turn into muddy orange water. Then, i added one egg white and let it boil while stirring. A fluffy layer formed which was filtered and decanted out.

The ayahuasca turned into a beautiful clear orange/red.

obliguhl attached the following image(s):
P1020004.JPG (90kb) downloaded 1,396 time(s).

Rivea
#18 Posted : 10/24/2010 7:30:39 PM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

Mimosa tea makes my mouth pucker so much that one wonders if it would be a good substitute for Preparation H! I assume that the pucker factor is the tannins.

It smells so benign, but man is it nasty when it hits the tongue. I have created a decanted filtered solution that was perfectly transparent deep red when refrigerated. I did not use eggs nor gelatin to further process being afraid that I would also remove the spice.

It almost looked like cherry soda, but did that look ever deceive! 35 ml of that stuff took me on a very intense 4 hour journey when combined with a perfectly filtered rue tea 30 minutes earlier. Rue is a different kind of nastiness altogether taste wise...
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

olympus mon
#19 Posted : 10/25/2010 3:29:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

that picture is crazy looking! Very happy it looks like an ash volcanic eruption to me. these tannins are little artists.

how long did you boil it for obliguhl?

sigmundfreuid
#20 Posted : 10/25/2010 6:15:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Just tried this method with some lotus tea ,the lotus tea steeped then filtered ,you couldnt see through it.
I add to this 1 egg white put all this in a jar,shaked the hell out of it,followed the tek and i have a crystal clear transparent tea.

This really is an awesome tek. Although the tea tastes much worst nowSad
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

123NEXT