We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pyrex Covers Sweating Options

spiced_ham
#1 Posted : 10/9/2010 8:16:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sorry for making so many threads, but SWIM feels like this is a legitimate issue and that others will benefit from the replies.

SWIM got Pyrex containers at a local supermarket for working with naphtha. They have red, soft covers that are labeled as safe for the microwave and freezer.

The concern comes when naphtha is left in these containers for a period of more than an hour. The container and the Ziplock bag around it seem to condense/sweat a greasy substance. It seems to evaporate, or perhaps absorb into the Pyrex, but at a much slower rate than naphtha evaporates.

It smells somewhat of naphtha, at least initially. However this may be due to naphtha condensing along with it.

Another reason for concern is that the cover of one of them is becoming warped from this exposure.

Any ideas on what the mechanism behind this is? Would Saran Wrap be a safer alternative? If one were to yield spice from these containers, would it be safe assuming the solution never came in contact with the cover?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

gibran2
#2 Posted : 10/9/2010 8:53:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

I always use aluminum foil.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

neverwas
#3 Posted : 10/10/2010 6:30:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya foil is good but should be on tight when in the freezer. I'm precipitating right now actually. But with the original lir for the Jar its in. Not sure if that's a bad thing though.
My name is love, for I am without fear

heavenlypursuit
#4 Posted : 10/10/2010 8:04:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have the same pyrex trays, and they are definitely warped. It took about 20+ times in the freezer to do that though
Have not been any ill effects from vaping the spice