We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salting and precipitation Options

adorno
#1 Posted : 10/5/2010 9:34:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Why is it all the teks which involve a precipitation step suggest a mixture of acidified water shaken and mixed with the freebase-alkaloid saturated solvent? (The acidified water is then separated, etc.) WHy couldn't one just slowly put drops into the saturated solvent, agitate, leave for a bit, repeat and slowly watch crystals form which could then be filtered out (a la Phlux's Bufotenin tek)?

Quote:

"Applied chemists" within the drug cult have devised ingenious methods of extracting pure mescaline from dried or fresh plant material. The basic process varies somewhat but a typical one is as follows: the plant material is first boiled to extract the alkaloids; this extract is then made basic by the addition of sodium hydroxide (lye). Next benzene (try methylenechloride) is added to further separate the alkaloids. The aqueous and benzene portions are allowed to separate following a gentle shaking. Dilute sulfuric acid (hydrochloric works as well) is next added in small quantitites to the benzene portion and the solution is again shaken. The mixture is allowed to stand, and the process is repeated several more times with the addition of a more dilute acid every time. A white precipitate will soon settle and can easily be dried. This is mescaline sulfate (or hydrochloride) and further steps can make it quite pure.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 10/5/2010 9:42:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

But people have been doing precipitation for long already. Did you see there's a whole subforum dedicated to salt precipitation? Also check teks all around, BLAB and FASI for example, or people also precipitating xylene with FASA, etc.....

I moved this to the first quests for information because its not advanced chemistry

dg
#3 Posted : 10/5/2010 11:55:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

sure mescaqline can be crashed right out of the np, but leaves inclusions of np in crystal matrix.

until you have a good grasp on whats going on, following the "tek" is best.
recomend xylene or tolulene though, or d-limo

maybe move to cacti forum??

adorno
#4 Posted : 10/6/2010 12:18:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ENdlessness... I understand and see what's on the precipitation thread, but nowhere do I see anything about various ways to make the alkaloid alone instantly "Crash out" without freezing the solvent, or without adding a water/acidified solution (in which case the alkaloid becomes its salt). Isn't there something, some eluent or whatever, one could add to the Naptha (hot bestine?) that would suck just the pure DMT out and leave the wrest in the naphtha? You're right this doesn't belong on the percip thread, but maybe you could answer.

dg
#5 Posted : 10/6/2010 1:00:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

oops, the quote was regarding mescaline extraction, was meant to be about dmt i guess?

endlessness
#6 Posted : 10/6/2010 11:56:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

adorno wrote:
ENdlessness... I understand and see what's on the precipitation thread, but nowhere do I see anything about various ways to make the alkaloid alone instantly "Crash out" without freezing the solvent, or without adding a water/acidified solution (in which case the alkaloid becomes its salt). Isn't there something, some eluent or whatever, one could add to the Naptha (hot bestine?) that would suck just the pure DMT out and leave the wrest in the naphtha? You're right this doesn't belong on the percip thread, but maybe you could answer.

As I already said, FASA and FASI crash out the alkaloid alone without freezing the solvent

Elf Machine
#7 Posted : 10/6/2010 6:13:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I too would like a chemistry explaination for adorno's question.

endlessness
#8 Posted : 10/6/2010 6:45:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Would you restate the question that you want answered please?

From what I understood adorno was asking why cant you crash out salted alkaloids from a solvent instead of freezing it, and you can, thats what FASA and FASI are for.

The explanation why they work is simple. In the case of FASI for fumarate precipitation in the BLAB tek, for example, its because when adding Fumaric Acid Saturated IPA to dmt-containing-limonene, the fumaric acid molecules dissolved in the IPA will attach to the dmt molecules which are dissolved in the limonene, creating DMT Fumarate, which is insoluble in IPA and limonene and therefore precipitates.

Elf Machine
#9 Posted : 10/7/2010 7:03:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe I misunderstood. I was talking about his mescaline extraction post where it says...

adorno wrote:
The mixture is allowed to stand, and the process is repeated several more times with the addition of a more dilute acid every time.

What is the purpose of diluting the acid before every addition? Why can't one just add a consistant highly concentrated acidic solution every time?