We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Yopo/Vilca preparation destroys the N-Oxides? Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 6/18/2008 4:21:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When preparing Yopo or Vilca snuff, a common step is roasting the seeds. I’ve talked with several people who state that this is clearly an enrichment process. I’ve heard some people say that this converts 5-HO-DMT into DMT. But this has been proven false. Now, while reading I ran across some information talking about how heat decomposes N-Oxides into their parent compounds. So that’s got to be what’s happening.

The prolonged roasting is done before the calcium hydroxide (lime) and water are added. So this means it’s done while the alkaloids are in their salt form, before they are freebased with calcium hydroxide. While in their salt form, they can withstand far more heat for extended periods of time. For example, freebase DMT boils at about 60 C, but most of its salts boil at about 150 C. So roasting the seeds is not going to boil away the DMT salt in the seeds, but it’s going to probably convert DMT N-Oxide into DMT if the right amount of heat is used for the right duration of time. This is known to be the case for other N-Oxides (like N-methylmorpholine N-oxide for example, which degrades to N-methylmorpholine when exposed to prolonged heat). But exactly how much heat and how much time is needed is the question.

Yopo/Vilca contains a lot of N-Oxides. 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide (bufotenine N-Oxide) is something you don’t want. SWIM isolated this compound and found sometimes it’s up to 40% of the alkaloid content of these seeds! 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide is very water soluble, as are most of the N-Oxides. Also the N-Oxides are all less hallucinogenic than their parent alkaloids because they don’t cross the blood brain barrier as well. 5-HO-DMT already has difficulty entering the brain and the N-Oxide form is even worse.

SWIM likes 5-HO-DMT, but doesn’t like 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide at all. Smoking 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide doesn’t seem to convert it back into 5-HO-DMT. So it seems like prolonged heat is needed for this conversion. 5-HO-DMT N-Oxide produces most of the unpleasant side effects of Yopo/Vilca and is only slightly hallucinogenic at 15 mg vaporized. It produces tension in the head, nausea for a few minutes, very strong tingling sensations, prickling sensations for a few minutes, and very weak visual effects. Like 5-HO-DMT, its effects last about 2 hours. Small doses, like 5 mg, produce euphoria. But when using Yopo/Vilca at hallucinogenic doses, all these N-Oxides do is reduce the hallucinogenic activity of the snuff.

To decompose the N-Oxides into their parent alkaloids, how much heat is needed and for how long?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

burnt
#2 Posted : 6/18/2008 5:32:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

i dont know the answer sorry but if someone has the time it can be done by some simple experiments.

1- isolate either n-oxide and or regular and convert to n-oxide.

2- heat

3- analyze

SWIM doesn't have plant material or time to do but thats how SWIM would go about answering that question. based on working with pure stuff you can estimate how long to do with the seeds.

or

1- heat seeds different time periods

2- isolate alkaloids.

3- analyze.