We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
"Deemsters" an inappropriate title? Options

lysurgeon
#1 Posted : 10/2/2010 8:56:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I first heard this word a couple years after swim's first extraction and subsequent reporting to me of every detail of his experiences, and I was taken aback - for one thing, it's like a pet nickname, the very construction of the sounds seem to downplay the seriousness of the experience of DMT. While "spice" is also a pet name for DMT, it has some (disputed) connection to a fictional compound in popular culture that allows for the safe travel through hyperspace, which at least retains the seriousness somewhat. I have never liked the word "deemsters" in the slightest, and have found that people who use the word out here in my "real world" interactions seem not to be explorers or healers but thrill-seekers. I can't say that the DMT experience is not thrilling or entertaining, but it's not something I would embark upon without serious consideration of what I was doing. However, recently someone told me that "the elves" do not like the word either. And within probably 10 minutes of hearing this, it suddenly occurred to me that "deemsters" is somewhat of a combination of the words "demons" and "monsters," both of which have obvious negative denotations/connotations. I would call a fuzzy cat deemster in this context, as it's a cute name, cats are cute, and sometimes they're just plain....not on your team, interested in scratching you, et cetera. I could not see a serious explorer of conscious realms or a healer of any tradition (or non-tradition) administering a life-changing dose of Deemsters. It seems like that word is limited to use in a recreational context. I don't have any questions, as this is a statement of my opinion. Except maybe, does anyone agree/disagree with my opinion?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 10/2/2010 10:03:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes its an innapropriate way of calling dmt. There were a couple of discussions regarding this already, as you can see here and here.

Also our attitude page talks about using language in a dignified manner and how we dont want immature slangs, and 'deemster' and other similar words are generally used in the 'frat-boy' immature kind of mentality, therefore it has no place here.

Might I suggest something? Please avoid 'block of text' kind of writting, break your words into smaller paragraphs

Ash
#3 Posted : 10/2/2010 11:01:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

-

Strange Gray Static Mayan Pattern
#4 Posted : 10/2/2010 12:22:05 PM

Nameless

To those already introduced I call it DMT, spice, or jungle juice in extremely informal conversations.

I talk about a fictional person named Dmitri if there's somebody not introduced around (i.e. we've got to pay a visit to Dmitri's; Dmitri took me to ride last night).
DMT T-Shirts, badges, mugs...
Comments by SGSMP are fantastic fabrications.

mumbles
#5 Posted : 10/2/2010 1:21:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its junkie speak pure and simple. The language of those who just want to "get fucked up".

soulfood
#6 Posted : 10/2/2010 1:57:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

It's the equivalent of refering to your mother as 'yo bitch'.

I think everyone should drop this slang shit and just refer to it's full molecular name "Dominic Michael Thompson".

CosmicFool
#7 Posted : 10/2/2010 3:38:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

"beloved child has many names" Pleased
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

actualfactual
#8 Posted : 10/2/2010 4:21:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I met some folks on tour who were selling it and calling it deemsters. I hadn't done it at the time and it didn't really bother me.

Now that I had a bit more experience with it I think it terribly disrespectful. Call it what you want, but you will never hear it come out of my mouth.

Scunch
#9 Posted : 10/2/2010 4:36:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I personally don't call it that except occasionally on online messageboards that deal with psychedelics. It doesn't bother me much personally, I prefer Dimitri or spice for slang though.

stevowitz
#10 Posted : 10/2/2010 6:32:14 PM

The Dude

It's a word

I know people who call it that and respect it.

I know people who call it that and don't..

It's a word...and it's all relative to your personal associations/experiences with said word.
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
cephalopods are enlightened -benzyme
T R I P S I T

Autodidactic
#11 Posted : 10/2/2010 8:20:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, it's just a name, I have some friends that call it Deamsters sometimes, I like to call it instead of spelling DMT out I say it DIMPT. We can call it what ever we like, it still remains sacred thing it is.
*The above text represents a fictional alter ego, none of it is based on the experiences of a real person.*

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Oscar Wilde

nn-DMT
#12 Posted : 10/2/2010 9:46:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

for the record I don't call it deemster. In fact, I don't call it anything because I don't talk about it. But my signature gives my opinion on this.
All post are made by SWIM. I am not SWIM.

gammagore
#13 Posted : 10/2/2010 10:21:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I never knew of any slang words for DMT before the nexus, hell I didnt even know many people who knew what it was. But I do see where people feel that its disrespectfull.

I truly think that people who have felt the pure raw power of DMT wont be so quik to call it any of these words that people name it.

Deems, dimitri and whatever else its called seems to me to be a social word, I imagine this word gets used alot when there is a group of friends sitting around at a party and smoking some deems to get some nice visuals, IMO.

MelCat
#14 Posted : 10/3/2010 12:23:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Me personally... I believe it's wrong to judge or label anyone, for anyone reason, least of all based on the language they choose to use.

I don't use the term deemsters, but I do call it deems sometimes because I have other friends who call it that and it feels natural.

I don't see where calling it deems, deemsters or even dimitri for that matter, takes away any of the sacredness of it.

I see it more as different strokes for different folks. To each their own.

For this being such an enlightened community it makes me sad to see so many people casting out judgement on others based on the words they choose. Not everyone who calls it deemsters is a junkie, dealer or disrespectful to the molecule.

Just my two cents. <3
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

lysurgeon
#15 Posted : 10/3/2010 12:34:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, I think the purpose of my posting this has been achieved, for now I am 1)doubting my personal associations about the word here mentioned, that people who use it are not in touch with the power of the medicine; 2)kinda sorry I brought it up, I was not feeling super-enlightened at the moment I chose to start this discussion, and feel I have brought negative energy to a positive place. But I cannot deny that I have been offended by some people's attitudes toward the medicine (not any of you guys of course), and I guess I needed to feel some sort of justification for this feeling from outside of myself. I'll try to stick to more interesting and positive topics from now on

#16 Posted : 10/3/2010 12:41:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yawn. This is one of those endlessly repeating arguments that comes up on the nexus every few months.

Some people take the view that it doesn't matter what you call it; others get really offended by this street slang, because it is usually used here by people who are out to 'trip ballz', or worse, those who sell it.

So for those who don't care what we call it, it clearly doesn't matter what you call it. They won't give a shit if you call it something else. But if you'd like to avoid offending your friends and fellow travellers here on the nexus who don't like the term, call it something else.

So I guess what I'm saying is, call it something else Pleased
"at journey's end, we must begin again"

abnormal
#17 Posted : 10/3/2010 12:48:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

stevowitz wrote:
It's a word

I know people who call it that and respect it.

I know people who call it that and don't..

It's a word...and it's all relative to your personal associations/experiences with said word.

Quite often I hold conversations with my fellow traveler's via text message on the phone.

Personally I would never feel comfortable calling it DMT or Dymethyltryptamine over the phone verbally or text wise. Just like I would say, Hey wanna hang out with Molly this weekend? Howabout Lucy? Or how was your date with her the other day?

So I would admit, quite often we use the term Dimitri or DesserT. Just a way to be able to communicate to each other and to remain on the same page.

On top of the that, I am on my college campus a lot, sometimes just sitting in a lab, or grabbing food. The main topic of conversation normally leads to psychedelics and our experiences or upcoming experiences etc. At a time like this, I would be afraid someone would over hear me say DMT or Dymethyltryptamine, so once again I would probably use the term Dimitri.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I am just trying to protect myself and others.

edit: But I understand in a professional community like this, it would be innapropriate =)