We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Prove your ID ability, I dare you (Australians are preferential) Options

Magicman
#1 Posted : 9/28/2010 4:24:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys,

I discovered this weekend , that a long leaved variety of acacia is growing all over my area.
It is most likely one of three species: obtusifolia ,maidenii, or longifolia.
All very similar , and all luckily containing the molecule , or so I've read ,but I would like it to be obtusifolia as that is the only one with purely DMT in it.

The only really applicable info I have found on differentiating is that Obtusifolia has "resenous phylode margins".the flowers are said to be slightly different but i think I'd have to wait a year to next see their flowers.
So : how do i identify "resenous phylode margins" , and what are some of the nexians ID tips?

Thanx guys

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Sally
#2 Posted : 9/28/2010 4:27:53 PM

I do not have the vocabulary to articulate this particular musing at the current time...

Magicman wrote:
Hey guys,

I discovered this weekend , that a long leaved variety of acacia is growing all over my area.
It is most likely one of three species: obtusifolia ,maidenii, or longifolia.
All very similar , and all luckily containing the molecule , or so I've read ,but I would like it to be obtusifolia as that is the only one with purely DMT in it.

The only really applicable info I have found on differentiating is that Obtusifolia has "resenous phylode margins".the flowers are said to be slightly different but i think I'd have to wait a year to next see their flowers.
So : how do i identify "resenous phylode margins" , and what are some of the nexians ID tips?

Thanx guys

Post a picture if you can, I can have a go at identifying it for you Smile
ॐ . Amateur Entheogen Botanist. PM me if you need help in finding or identifying plants. For research purposes only . ॐ

ॐ bwrrrr bWWrrr bhrrrr bHWRRR ॐ

. Pure Universal Pulse Vibrations . Saloreo Nebulum .

Magicman
#3 Posted : 9/28/2010 4:31:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sally ! I actually read what you said in a post the other day ,and almost PM'd you about this , thanx.I'll get one up tomorrow, but the problem is ,there are tons ,and in cases a few Kilometers apart, so I'll have to post a few pics ,cause they may all be the same ,and may not. But I'll have them on tomorrow

Thanx alot

nn-DMT
#4 Posted : 9/28/2010 4:49:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From my understanding, it will be very difficult to tell longifolia from obtusifoliia without seeing the flowers. Also it should be noted that obtusifolia cantains a good amount of NMT along with its DMT. I believe Acacia phlebophylla is the only acacia with pure DMT but this is endangered so it isn't harvestable.

And yes please post some pics Smile
All post are made by SWIM. I am not SWIM.

Sally
#5 Posted : 9/28/2010 4:50:49 PM

I do not have the vocabulary to articulate this particular musing at the current time...

Magicman wrote:
Sally ! I actually read what you said in a post the other day ,and almost PM'd you about this , thanx.I'll get one up tomorrow, but the problem is ,there are tons ,and in cases a few Kilometers apart, so I'll have to post a few pics ,cause they may all be the same ,and may not. But I'll have them on tomorrow

Thanx alot

Very happy
Cool, the more pics the better, try get some bark texture in there aswell. Get as much as possible. Smile

xx
ॐ . Amateur Entheogen Botanist. PM me if you need help in finding or identifying plants. For research purposes only . ॐ

Magicman
#6 Posted : 9/28/2010 4:59:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Will do , I've just found out that the seed pods may help ,and these seem to have , like berries ,but all will be explained with the photos , and i Dont think that the endangerd issue is a problem at all , im in South africa ,theyre declared as Invasive haha, and in some places theyd love for me to cut them down. not that i will cut whole trees down

Sally
#7 Posted : 9/28/2010 5:09:17 PM

Magicman wrote:
Will do , I've just found out that the seed pods may help ,and these seem to have , like berries ,but all will be explained with the photos , and i Dont think that the endangerd issue is a problem at all , im in South africa ,theyre declared as Invasive haha, and in some places theyd love for me to cut them down. not that i will cut whole trees down

Sounds good. I just went through the acacia you mentioned in the original post, and tried to find evidence of intrusive acacia in South Africa. The database didn't report anything back BUT that doesn't mean anything Razz You do have a good few DMT-containing acacia and Delosperma in South Africa however. Smile
xx

Magicman
#8 Posted : 9/28/2010 5:14:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah Karroo ,and Nilotica seem to be the other good options , but im not at all familier with delosperma

nn-DMT
#9 Posted : 9/28/2010 5:15:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Magicman wrote:

Phlebophylla is the endangered one.
Here's a botanical drawing of A. longifolia. notice the pods.
nn-DMT attached the following image(s):
acacia-longifolia.jpg (42kb) downloaded 168 time(s).

Magicman
#10 Posted : 9/28/2010 5:17:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm those pods dont look right , actually the pods look similar to nilotica, but the pictures will come haha . . .

Magicman
#11 Posted : 9/29/2010 7:01:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys here the photos are , I took quite a few 'cause i didn't know what you need , so yeah if they're good enough, ID! if not , I'll take requests on photos . they are of three different specimens

Thanx so much Smile
Edit: one of the trees didnt have those green berries on them ,so its very likely to be a different species , the last photo was the tree with none ,the rest had
Magicman attached the following image(s):
Photo0026.jpg (936kb) downloaded 135 time(s).
Photo0021.jpg (1,661kb) downloaded 134 time(s).
Photo0023.jpg (1,673kb) downloaded 135 time(s).
Photo0022.jpg (1,537kb) downloaded 135 time(s).
Photo0028.jpg (879kb) downloaded 135 time(s).

Morphane
#12 Posted : 9/30/2010 6:35:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I have Native Plants: Queensland Vol 2 sitting here, and your tree didn't look like any of the Acacias. Though the book didn't have photos of obtusifolia or longifolia. I'd say it is definitely not maidenii.

Your tree did look like a Heterodendrum oleifolium, from the family Sapindaceae - totally different from the Fabaceae family of which Acacias belong.

I'm no expert, just interested in native trees. I just thought it was weird for an Acacia to have a berry.

Anyway, here is a link for oleifolium. If you live in a semi-arid area, it might be a possibility.

http://www.weeds.mangrov...olium%20-%20Rosewood.pdf

mumbles
#13 Posted : 9/30/2010 8:02:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That doesn't look like an acacia to me.

Magicman
#14 Posted : 9/30/2010 2:41:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah you're right , it is odd for acacias to have berries , but that last photo, that one had no berries and I've attached a photo of one with slightly different looking leaves , and also had no berries . . . I dont get it
If these aren't what I'm looking for , could you guys give me ID tips for obtusifolia in that case.
I've also attached a picture of a tree's leaves that look slightly acacia like ,as do it seeds, wondering if someone could give me an idea on that. It is unlikely that is good for anything ,but worth a try. It seems to have resenous phyllodes , not sure though . . .
Magicman attached the following image(s):
Photo0032.jpg (851kb) downloaded 104 time(s).
Photo0033.jpg (1,185kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
Photo0034.jpg (668kb) downloaded 101 time(s).
Photo0035.jpg (653kb) downloaded 99 time(s).

Morphane
#15 Posted : 9/30/2010 2:56:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Maybe the ones without berries are male speciemens?

I'm not into Acacias, as Eucalypts are my interest, but maybe there are some botanic gardens near you - maybe even a horticulatural college? That would be your best bet to get a good look at what you're after. Maybe you could track down a book specifically about Acacias.

Magicman
#16 Posted : 9/30/2010 3:07:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

there are some gardens , and some nurserys around me , so maybe i will . . but not all of these are native ,and if somehow they knew i intended to extract dmt from them , it'd be a problem.

nn-DMT
#17 Posted : 9/30/2010 8:59:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The first photo in the second set of photos you posted looks very much like an acacia. It could very well be longifolia or obtusifolia, but I'm really not sure. A. obtusifolia has a bit of a lighter bluish-grey bark color.

Sally
#18 Posted : 9/30/2010 9:44:47 PM

Hey man Smile

I've just looked at some pictures of A. longifolia and the leaves are completely different to the pictures you provided. The leaves of Acacia are rounded at the end, whereas the leaves in the pictures that you have taken Magicman, are more pointed.

and this picture of A. obtusifolia has similar leaves to the A. longifolia. So I don't think the plant we are trying to identify is either of those Acacia.

Both links are a decent source of information, so they can be trusted.

This link may help us to confirm whether it is an acacia or not Very happy pictures galore!

xx

mumbles
#19 Posted : 10/1/2010 6:54:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If it ends up being a longifolia just keep searching because you wont extract jack from it, and the main noticeable difference between longifolia and obtusifolia is the leaf margins, one will look like its been nibbled by insects on the edges but it hasn't.

Magicman
#20 Posted : 10/1/2010 4:30:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well nn-DMT , the first photo of the second set ; that tree had insect cysts on it , which i think one of the acacias gets. So that may hold a bit of hope , I'll look at those pics though , do some work then get back to you guys.
Thanx so much for the links and research Sally ,I'll look through that and post my results this weekend

And mumbles ,it was this link that lead me to believe longifolia was of use Plants that contain DMT

I'm mainly looking for obtusifolia ,and nilotica though . Wish me luck

12NEXT