We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ryvea corimbosa vs Ipomoea violacea ? Options

DiMiTriX
#1 Posted : 9/13/2010 10:19:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

question is: why someone would plant ololiqui (Rivea) istead of ipomoea? I'm speacking of seeds produciton,different alkaloids specrum, different trip..no matter about hystorical-cultural use,
just real advantage to grow one istead of other.
Swim found that ipomoea violacea heavenly blue he had from garden store was not so vigorous (not self proagating) and their seeds didn't seems very healty (small,hollow,sometimes with white micelyum..) maybe ryvea grow better in europe?Rolling eyes
Tz'is aná

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Metanoia
#2 Posted : 9/14/2010 5:40:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I can't really give advice about cultivation here, but I do find rivea corymbosa to be better than the MG or HBWR seeds. Less nausea, less vasoconstriction, all around just more pleasant. Not sure if that's any help.

DiMiTriX
#3 Posted : 9/14/2010 8:59:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah i think it's allready a good reason to choose ryvea.. probably they have lesser vasocostrictors alkaloids and just lys acid and ergine.

hbwr grows here in europe but they don't produce seeds,flowers are rare too.
What about production of seeds/m2 of yard used to grow em?
gimme reasons to cultivate ololiqui please ! Very happy
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=...images/34223.jpg&t=1
Tz'is aná

Tropical
#4 Posted : 9/14/2010 8:46:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Turbina (rivea) are like hbwr in that they like tropical weather. they dont do freeze. they often take a couple years to flower, unlike I. tricolor which takes 2 months...

tricolor is better from a growing standpoint because they flower sooner and have more seeds per flower. they are less desirable to grow because they die soon.

turbina grown by swim usually gets about 1 kg from a 8' wide rope "trellis" that is 15' high. turbina have 1 seed/flower, but there are up to 4 sometimes, 2 is fairly common. they are seasonal flowering plants, ipomoea will flower year round in good climates.

the limiting factor for turbina and hbwr is climate, nothing more Smile

DiMiTriX
#5 Posted : 9/16/2010 7:44:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so for europe violacea seems the only way to go ..Rolling eyes Confused
Tz'is aná

d*l*b
#6 Posted : 9/16/2010 9:37:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have 6 rivea growing in my back garden, seem to be holding up to the northern european climate well. I started them off rather late so they are quite small, but all the better for bringing in for the winter. Hoping after a winter of pampering they will go crazy next year, but is my first year growing them, will have to see.
D × V × F > R

DiMiTriX
#7 Posted : 9/16/2010 9:45:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hping they're not like Argyrea that could also flowers but it's almost impossible that it could do seeds. in my country noone have seen them
Tz'is aná

Tropical
#8 Posted : 9/17/2010 9:30:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

hbwr set seed fine if you have 2+ genetically unique plants (ie not clones) and lots of bees around. Turbina always set seed, and they are bee magnets! neither do freezing/frost well at all...so northern europe i am not sure, if you get frezzing temps, maybe not. if your getting hbwr flowers and plant outdoors year round, turbina wont be a problem.

the big advantage to ipomoea is the speed in which they begin flowering...that is their main plus. even they dont tolerate freezing to great, but the other 2 species often take over a year to flower, so winter becomes an issue.

DiMiTriX
#9 Posted : 9/27/2010 5:29:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tropical wrote:
hbwr set seed fine if you have 2+ genetically unique plants (ie not clones) and lots of bees around. Turbina always set seed, and they are bee magnets! neither do freezing/frost well at all...so northern europe i am not sure, if you get frezzing temps, maybe not. if your getting hbwr flowers and plant outdoors year round, turbina wont be a problem.

the big advantage to ipomoea is the speed in which they begin flowering...that is their main plus. even they dont tolerate freezing to great, but the other 2 species often take over a year to flower, so winter becomes an issue.

very interesting,anyway here hbwr are very hard to flower,only after years and very controlled condition,swim knows a man who work in a botanichal garden in a very particularly climate region and he said to swim he worked very hard to see some flowers..and he didn't get a seed out from theese. You say turbina always set seed,if swim finds a way to get his seeds he will give em a try
a question: swim had heavenly blue in past but they had only one dot leaves.. are there differents heavenly blue strains around? there's much confusion about morning glories on the web imo..
Tz'is aná

DiMiTriX
#10 Posted : 9/27/2010 5:44:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ooh swim found this pic on web.. he thinks to have this mix,this is very different plant compared to heavenly blue he had...
theese plants are more vigorous, very hairy with larger and darker leaves heart shaped. Flowers are smaller copared to heavenly blue's and seeds are smaller too.Seeds from theese flowers are spheric and black,very different compared to dot shaped seeds of HB.... I think seeds shows in the right pic of this link are heavenly blue's seeds and NOT seeds from plants of the left pic -.-

as you can see there's much confusion on web regarding morning glories.
What species of ipomea are theese shown on theese pics? maybe purpurea? i dunno.. :S
Someone knows if they're active?
Tz'is aná

sigmundfreuid
#11 Posted : 9/27/2010 11:21:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just wondering, how much Ryvea corimbosa seeds is there in 1 gram ?

Its ok i know the answer and i found a good supplier with probably the best prices
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !