We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Plastic syringe for layer separation Options

Muk
#1 Posted : 9/13/2010 4:05:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Would a cleaned empty old spore syringe work for collecting the naptha layer? Will the naptha react with plastic at all?

Sorry if this has already been asked, this site works funny with my browser andwont let me use the search function

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

heavenlypursuit
#2 Posted : 9/13/2010 4:28:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not sure whether naptha leaches plastic the same way IPA and acetone will, but I would recommend not using plastic. When extracting, you want your naptha to be hot, which by itself may melt the plastic. I like to use droppers when separating layers, but glass ones purchased from Walmart or a drug store. They're like $2 for a pack of two, one straight tip, and one angled tip. The angled tip is great for separating layers. To me, extracting with an inert material gives me peace of mind, especially when consuming the final product. Save yourself the potential hazard to your body, and use glass.

Muk
#3 Posted : 9/13/2010 4:44:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

heavenlypursuit wrote:
Not sure whether naptha leaches plastic the same way IPA and acetone will, but I would recommend not using plastic. When extracting, you want your naptha to be hot, which by itself may melt the plastic. I like to use droppers when separating layers, but glass ones purchased from Walmart or a drug store. They're like $2 for a pack of two, one straight tip, and one angled tip. The angled tip is great for separating layers. To me, extracting with an inert material gives me peace of mind, especially when consuming the final product. Save yourself the potential hazard to your body, and use glass.

SWIM will obtain a glass dropper or 2.

SWIM plans on using nomans tek, and this doesnt call for the naptha being hot, but I understand keeping it warm helps.

Is SWIM missing something? Does the substance have to be kept hot?

heavenlypursuit
#4 Posted : 9/13/2010 5:46:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No it doesn't, but if you notice in Noman's tek, he states that it increases yield having the naptha warm, and I've found it most certainly does. If you are new to the tek, just follow through without going through the process of heating the naptha. As you become comfortable with it, then start messing around with heating the naptha. If you decide to heat it anyways, here's an easy way. Boil some water in a saucepan, then turn off heat once boiling. Get a pyrex measuring cup, about a 150 ml. size or bigger depending on the size of your extraction (found at walmart or grocery store) and fill it with your needed amount of naptha. Put the pyrex cup in the boiled water so that the water comes up about halfway up the measuring cup. Wait about 3-4 minutes, or just measure temp with a thermometer, then pour into your bark mixture for your pulls. Repeat process for each pull.
It's also important to note, if your bark mixture is not warm or hot, the naptha will rapidly cool off once it touches the bark mixture, basically resulting in you wasting your time.
So like I said, just follow the tek to the letter, and worry about tinkering with it until you have it totally down.

dg
#5 Posted : 9/13/2010 6:09:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

Muk wrote:
Would a cleaned empty old spore syringe work for collecting the naptha layer? Will the naptha react with plastic at all?

Sorry if this has already been asked, this site works funny with my browser andwont let me use the search function

on any site indexed by google,
search site:https//dmt-nexus.me plastic syringe-or other search term Smile

Strange Gray Static Mayan Pattern
#6 Posted : 9/13/2010 6:57:24 AM

Nameless

The plastic will probably be ok, but the rubber stopper is gonna do weird shit. With luck you'll get a hard to press syringe and splash naphtha around from since its operation will become jerky.

I have a 50ml 100% glass syringe with no stopper. Wouldn't exchange it for anything.
DMT T-Shirts, badges, mugs...
Comments by SGSMP are fantastic fabrications.

slayed
#7 Posted : 9/13/2010 7:29:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found a high density plastic turkey baster at walmart for $2. Has anyone measured and recorded a prime temperature for the naptha? The heat from the reaction of water and base should be enough heat for the plant mixture.