We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
tannins: more than you ever wanted to know Options

ouro
#1 Posted : 9/12/2010 5:58:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

more verrry interesting reading.. if you can stomach science talk.

http://www.users.muohio.edu/hagermae/tannin.pdf

I certainly haven't digested this whole thing, but the section on protein digestion has some nice info. Apparently saliva also contains PRPs (aka tannin precip agents) and their excretion is stimulated by... tasting tannins! the body really is an amazing thing. Maybe swishing some brew around in ones mouth and then spitting it back could precip some tannins. And, if there are any digestable complex sugars, the salivary amylase could break them down to glucose. It would be a shame if saliva also contains MAO though. It probably doesn't judging by the effectiveness of subling absorption.

ouro

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

olympus mon
#2 Posted : 9/12/2010 6:24:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

wow that is literally anything you could possibly need to know about tannins. Laughing
good stuff, thank you for sharing this.
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

electrolunchbox
#3 Posted : 9/13/2010 1:48:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yes they say that the best way to experience salvia Is oraly! I whatched a video on it that was posten in the salvia forum. They say that the salvia goddess (or what ever she is) dose not like to be smoked at all! That's why I guess I have never had any good times. I heard that smoking is a slap in the face to her and will toy with you if you disrepect her. They say the plant loves to be moist and so dose she. So thewing leaves is sopsidaly the best way to enjoy it. I don't think it contains moa's
these post are excerpts from the daily life of a madman. One thinks that thought should be left alone......

jamie
#4 Posted : 9/13/2010 3:50:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

yeah well..."they" say alot of things..Ive been growing salvia for years, smoking and quidding..Ive never feltlike smokingher is a slap in the face reguardless of what mazatecs say, or that I was treated poorly there dueto me smoking it.

I dont think you understand mao either ouro..why would salvia contain mono amine oxidase? MAO is something that WE have in our bodies..when you ingest DMT you have to take mono amine oxidase inhibitors to block the MAO that occurs naturally in the body..its not like DMT or viridis etc contains MAO, and then we have to take MAOI's..the MAO is part of us. Maybe MAO is in some plants also I dunno but I havent heard of that every in the case of entheogens.
Long live the unwoke.

d*l*b
#5 Posted : 9/13/2010 5:19:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

fractal enchantment wrote:
I dont think you understand mao either ouro..why would salvia contain mono amine oxidase? MAO is something that WE have in our bodies..

He is referring to saliva not salvia...
ouro wrote:
Apparently saliva also contains PRPs (aka tannin precip agents) and their excretion is stimulated by... tasting tannins! the body really is an amazing thing. Maybe swishing some brew around in ones mouth and then spitting it back could precip some tannins. And, if there are any digestable complex sugars, the salivary amylase could break them down to glucose. It would be a shame if saliva also contains MAO though. It probably doesn't judging by the effectiveness of subling absorption.

D × V × F > R

ubu
#6 Posted : 9/13/2010 6:50:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks ouro. About saliva (mouth), it is already known that it contains MAO.

About salvia (divinorum), I believe we know enough about these two forms of ingestion/absorption to safely say this is mainly a personal choice. As I don't believe in gods/goddess, even in Salvia goddess (or whatever it means) I can only advise to try both ways before concluding anything (in my own experience there are reasonable differences between each form of ingestion to justify both ways).
You have to be in Hell to see Heaven - W. Burroughs

Ubu is a surreal personage. Everything he does is pure fiction. Everything he says is pure nonsense.

DiMiTriX
#7 Posted : 9/13/2010 7:35:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Proteins that precipitate tannins, (usually is said that are tannins that bind proteins and precipitate them, i don't know eanglish word for this effect maybe 'tanning'..anywway, i

you notice this proteins effect when you eat a dark chocolate or drink a very dark red wine that they make your saliva more viscous and dense so that you literally can play as 'yo-yo' with it..Cool Laughing lol

tannins are also able to bind and denaturate proteins and this effect is used in tanning proces.
Tz'is aná

ouro
#8 Posted : 9/13/2010 8:22:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the purpose of the PRP in saliva is to bind to tannins so you can spit them out or trap them till they come out the other end (some tannins are extremely unhealthy to hamsters at least).

According to this site:

http://www.umich.edu/~bmsteach/lopatin/salivarygland/lectures/download/Chem_Comp_&_Funct.ppt

saliva contains amylase (breaks down sugar chains), peroxidase (breaks oxygen - oxygen bonds), carbonic anhydrase (promotes carbonic acid in the carbonic acid/co2+h20 equilibrium), PRPs and plenty of other interesting stuff. They dont mention MAO but they also only list the major constituents. Ubu, I think you have some medical knowledge and I trust you on the MAO, but I always like to see some source because everyone makes mistakes.

If I make a tannin heavy brew I'll set some aside and spit in it to see if saliva precips will separate or just mix in and make things more gooey. Prechewing or spitting into things is fairly common "primitive" step in fermenting drinks.

ouro

ubu
#9 Posted : 9/14/2010 2:58:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You are right. I'm unable to show you a source at this moment (and probably at any other time).

I'm sure there is MAO in salivary glands. No need to doubt this (that's in fact the "well know" party). But I'm unsure about saliva containing MAO. I'm *guessing* as some MAO exists in the salivary gland it is also possible that some MAO exists in saliva.

But better to stay at safe side and ignore my guess.
You have to be in Hell to see Heaven - W. Burroughs

Ubu is a surreal personage. Everything he does is pure fiction. Everything he says is pure nonsense.