We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heraclitus' Recrystalization Tek Options

Noman
#1 Posted : 11/10/2006 7:36:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's another salvage from DMT World. DMT Recrystallization for Beginners: Recrystallization is an art. There are as many ways to recrystallize as to paint a picture. This is an easy way to recrystallize dmt, but it is by no means the best or only way. This procedure uses naptha because it's commonly available to people working with dmt, but solvents like heptane or hexane work even better. 1. Add 20 to 25ml of naptha per gram of dmt to a glass container. A small flask or beaker is ideal. Then add the dmt. 2. Heat the beaker to 40 or 50C. A pot of recently boiled water is plenty hot. (NO FLAMES OR SPARK SOURCES AROUND NAPTHA) 3. After a minute or two of heat, the dmt should melt and mostly dissapear in to solution. Very often a mass of yellow/orange goo will sit on the bottom and refuse to go in to solution. If at this point the naptha goes yellow, let it cool for a little while and the yellowness should fall out leaving the naptha clear. 4. Carefully pour as much clear naptha off the insoluble junk as you can in to another container. This container must be something that you can recover crystals from later. (optional - while transferring from one container to another, pour the solution through a very small filter of some sort. a bit of cotton ball in a funnel for example) 5. Add another 5ml or so of naptha to the original container, and add heat again. Again pour off as much clear naptha as possible in to the other container. 6. Cool the clear naptha as slowly as possible. Let it at room temperature for a few hours. Crystals should begin to precipitate. (optional - you could add a few seed crystals for better crystal formation) Then stick it in the fridge or freezer for at least a few hours. 7. While the beaker is very cold, pour the naptha off the crystals. Freezer temperature naptha holds very little dmt, but feel free to evaporate it to make sure. 8. (optional - Scrape the crystals in to a coffee filter, and pour 10 or 20ml of very cold water over them.) And that's it. Repeat as desired. It's important to remember that not all naptha is created equal, and your naptha may dissolve more or less than 1g per 25ml. If signficant amounts of dmt are left in the original container after you do this process (more than 100mg), use slightly more solvent next time.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Vortex
#2 Posted : 11/10/2006 8:14:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Noman.... I've been needing this information and you are the best I've seen with crystallization of alkaloid. I saw a photo of a razer blade and some awesomely clear long crystals, how do you do that? This same method? @UEBAPleased

Noman
#3 Posted : 11/10/2006 6:55:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't do it since it's illegal. This tek is the place to start. Use heptane for best results and cool the solution slowly. Here is another take on the procedure that I wrote up for someone: "The idea behind recrystalization is that solvents hold more stuff when hot than cold and that different stuff is soluable at different temperatures and that if a solvent with a lot of different stuff in it cools down slowly, all that different stuff will precipitate individually. Naptha will work for this but heptane is better. Heptane is available as Bestine - a rubber cement remover. So have a container with the DMT and a container of the recrystalization solvent together in a pan of hot water. Shot glasses in a saucepan work well for a gram or two. The fumes from whatever solvent you use will be extremely flammable, so don't use a gas stove or light a bowl or be otherwise stupid. The DMT will already be melting if the water is hot enough and the hot solvent is added with agitation little by little until all of the DMT is dissolved. It should take from 20 - 30 ml of solvent per gram of powder - you want to use as little solvent as possible. The solvent will be a clear yellow. Then leave the pan of water with the DMT container to cool to room temperature. Remove the DMT container and cool in the refrigerator. Then the freezer. You will end up with DMT crystals of varying purity atop a pellet of slag which still contains quite a bit of DMT. Do the coffee filter bit again and separate the crystals from the slag. The crystals can be refined in one or two more recrystalizations into pure clear DMT. The slag can also be further refined or re-dissolved into the next batch. The naptha can be reused or evaped down and the residue scraped and cleaned. And don't forget to scrub those jars and utensils with your favorite smoking herb."

Vortex
#4 Posted : 11/11/2006 12:13:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh, I meant with the writing about the process. I'm in the same boat with you, just read stuff and come up with a different way of explaining it or a few ideas to tweak things one way or another for better results. Thanks again!

blackclo
#5 Posted : 1/16/2007 4:09:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Here's another recrystalization tek I found, not sure if it has already been mentioned in the forums, if so let me know and I'll get rid of it: Author: DrIraZ Submitted on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 Extracted from: crude dmt Chemical obtained: more pure dmt Extraction Time: less than an hour Rating: [unrated] Equipment: A deep pan wide enough to accomodate a mason or jelly jar 2 jars paper filters/coffee filter hdpe, glass or stainless funnel glass bowl with relatively flat bottome dmt re-x: If you were in a place where it was legal, and you had followed the Quantumtek (or any other extraction tek for the subject material), the crude crystals can be cleaned through recrystalization as follows: Put your saucepan on the stove with some water in it and something to keep the jar off the bottom of the pan so the jar heats evenly, such as a folding vegetable steamer, inverted mason jar rings, etc. The *spice* goes in the first jar, to which is added a volume of clean naptha (VM&P is ok, Bestine brand rubber cement solvent is better, it's nearly pure heptane). If I'm remembering right, 1 gm of spice will dissolve in 90 ml of hot naptha. Place the jar/spice/naptha in the pan with the lid on LOOSELY or plastic wrap/rubber band on top. Let the water come to a gentle boil, occasionaly testing to see if the naptha is dissolving the spice yet. HINT: you'll see bubbles coming up from it while it's dissolving. Once the naptha gets hot, let it heat for another five minutes or so. An orange/brown oily looking layer will form on the bottom at the jar. Watch closely to see when the spice is absorbed! When you see no more white/off white spice, just the orange/brown, remove from heat. Jar will be hot! Carefully decant the naptha off the top, leaving the orange/brown in the very bottom of the first jar. SWIY's naptha/spice solution is most likely cloudy, which is good. Put the solution in the glass or ceramic bowl. If the solution is cloudy, cover with plastic wrap and put in a very cold freezer. If it's not cloudy, put it in front of a fan so it will rapidly evaporate; when it gets cloudy, put it in the freezer as above. After 2 hrs, up to a couple days, the spice will precipitate out. When the naptha looks clear again, pour the naptha through filter paper/funnel. Most of your spice will be stuck to the bottom of the bowl, but the paper filter will catch any that's precipitated but not stuck on the bottom of the bowl. Dry filter paper and spice in the bowl at room temp. A SLOW ceiling fan will aid this, but remember you don't want to blow SWIY's crystals away! When dry, scrape the crystals out of the bowl and put in the funnel on top of the now dry filter paper/spice if you want to do a chilled ammonia wash. Otherwise, put them in an amber and airtight container, and some in your pipe! SWIM can't stress enough how much smoother the spice can be when recrystalized!