We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What happened to my caapi tea ? Options

Phlux-
#1 Posted : 8/26/2010 1:11:41 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

I proudly overfilter - so my caapi tea that was in the freezer - was clear as day.
on thawing it - i noticed precip - on freezing - there is now a gradient from light at the top(yellowish) to red(particulate) on the bottom.
what changed - and what precipped ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

jamie
#2 Posted : 8/26/2010 1:28:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

this is normal..no ammount of filtering will stop that from happening..I think its tannins.
Long live the unwoke.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 8/26/2010 1:44:10 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Phlux- wrote:
I proudly overfilter - so my caapi tea that was in the freezer - was clear as day.
on thawing it - i noticed precip - on freezing - there is now a gradient from light at the top(yellowish) to red(particulate) on the bottom.
what changed - and what precipped ?

It is most likely proteins precipitate by quick chilling of the brew. It is called Cold Break. During the rapid freezer chilling of the filtered brew some proteins were forced to coagulate and fall out of suspension. Thawing must have made a more opaque brew (suspended coagulated proteins) and given time these cold-broken proteins precipitated out.

This might as well be a new way to make a clearer and better brew. Try the supernatant separately from the precipitates!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 8/26/2010 4:18:17 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Dagger wrote:
I have been doing this for years. Many types of brews clears up by freezing it, then thawing it. If the brew heats back up to room temperature, some of the precipitates may go back into solution. This happens with mimosa.

Caapi can be made clear by using this method. With both caapi and mimosa there will be a gradient of colouring, with the lightest colour on top, and the darkest colour on the bottom. This is actually a way of removing some of the colouring. With mimosa you can remove much of the red colour by using this method. Freeze it in a bottle, then put it upside down over a jar. Let about 10% thaw and drip out. This will be very dark in colour. I have tried this with caapi too, but what drips out seems to be VERY concentrated actives instead.

I concur. This cold protein break is also commonly used in beer making. The boiled wort (= beer before yeast addition and fermantation) is rapidly cooled down to cause this cold break and in the end of the line makes a more clearer, more transparent beer.

State of the Mind
#5 Posted : 8/26/2010 11:57:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
I concur. This cold protein break is also commonly used in beer making. The boiled wort (= beer before yeast addition and fermantation) is rapidly cooled down to cause this cold break and in the end of the line makes a more clearer, more transparent beer.

Damm, someone beat me there. Crying or very sad Crying or very sad And I thought there would never be an opportunity to spill my brewing knowledge on the nexus.

Maybe it would be a good idea to add irish moss when preparing caapi tea, or even when making aya ...
People spend their lives searching for perfect moments and fail to see, that there are many unappreciated perfect moments everyday that are overlooked.

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 8/27/2010 12:17:54 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

State of the Mind wrote:
Infundibulum wrote:

Damm, someone beat me there. Crying or very sad Crying or very sad And I thought there would never be an opportunity to spill my brewing knowledge on the nexus.

Maybe it would be a good idea to add irish moss when preparing caapi tea, or even when making aya ...

Infundibulum wrote:
Then apply a fining agent like bentonite or irish moss that precipitates positively charged particles, such as dmt as it

Beat you to this againRazz (From thereSmile

Irish moss attracts however positively charged particles, such as alkaloids dissolved in acidic solution. Might be good for precipitating the actives but not for clearing the brew...

BTW, Great to see more brewers in the forum! homebrewing is a total art, got any good recipes to share? I'm a mad brewer, maybe we could make some beer making subsection (in the Other Psychoactives session?)

State of the Mind
#7 Posted : 8/27/2010 12:24:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
Infundibulum wrote:
Then apply a fining agent like bentonite or irish moss that precipitates positively charged particles, such as dmt as it

Beat you to this again (From there

Ouch, in my eagerness, I went and created a thread about the use of Brewing clarity aids in ayahuasca here and thought I had an original idea. Crying or very sad

Infundibulum wrote:
maybe we could make some beer making subsection (in the Other Psychoactives session?)

I would absolutely love that, I love brewing and find it to possibly be the worlds most rewarding hobby and talking about it on my favorite forum can only be recipe for success. Laughing Laughing Laughing
People spend their lives searching for perfect moments and fail to see, that there are many unappreciated perfect moments everyday that are overlooked.

taureanirishman
#8 Posted : 3/28/2011 5:34:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Infundibulum - Irish moss attracts however positively charged particles, such as alkaloids dissolved in acidic solution. Might be good for precipitating the actives but not for clearing the brew...

Would this mean you could use a known quantity of irish moss to capture the alks out of the acid phase of a Limo extraction... Then dry and weigh again to measure total captured weight of all compounds?

Wonder what that would look like/how saturated the Irish moss would be once the evap was done...

hmmmm.... This is simply my postulation, but WOULD doing this help protect the mole in any way?

it's kinda like making an irish moss changa, though this would probably be much more appropriate for pharmahusca....

just my ramble on this cool subject...(now that I'm allowed to!!!! hahahahahaha out of the nursery!!!! ;-)