We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Safe to drive after DMT? Options

Entheojen
#1 Posted : 8/20/2010 7:47:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

How long should one leave after vaping DMT/consuming ayahuasca/smoking spice before it is safe to drive?
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

d*l*b
#2 Posted : 8/20/2010 9:35:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I can’t comment on oral ingestion, but with vaped spice I find the effects are fading at 30mins and completely gone within an hour, so maybe it would be best to wait at least an hour and a half after blast-off just to be sure.
D × V × F > R

TrustLoveMan
#3 Posted : 8/20/2010 9:41:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wait untill you are completly baseline. Obviously operating heavy machinery while in an altered state is a bad idea.
All Posts are fiction and only exist to entertain

d*l*b
#4 Posted : 8/20/2010 10:18:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don’t think I want to bother going anywhere for a few hours after blast-off personally, I usually end up curled up in my duvet asleep!
D × V × F > R

Entheojen
#5 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:07:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

LOL, yeah I can imagine. I was just curious. You know with alcohol the way you can be breath-tested randomly by the police the next morning and still be over the limit. I think it's recommended not to drive after a night of alcohol until around noon the next day. With DMT, I wonder if it would show up in any drug tests after come-down, and how long it might take for blood levels to return to normal.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

Ginkgo
#6 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:12:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have never heard of any drug tests that can show DMT, and it is highly unlikely that it is even possible to test for. DMT is a compound found naturally in our body, so is the products it is broken down to. However, that doesn't mean that you should ever drive while under the influence of anything. If you do, you don't only play with your own life, but also with the life of other innocent people.

I second what has been written here before, wait until you are totally at baseline. That means at least 1 1/2 hour for smoked or vaporized DMT. For oral ingestion, I would wait at least 10 hours. The duration is highly variable between doses and individuals, so some people should wait even longer.

endlessness
#7 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:12:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

no drug tests Ive ever heard of will detect (or even test for...) dmt.. It is VERY quickly metabolized, and we have trace amounts of it at all times, so...

as for the original question, for smoked dmt, I would say an hour and a half is indeed safe to drive afterwards (considering youre not tired and you feel ok). For ayahuasca, it really depends on your metabolism. For some people ayahuasca may last 6 hours, for others it lasts 2 hours.. So you have to find out your metabolism. In any case, I would say you should wait an hour AFTER you feel completely back to baseline, just to be sure.

But there are other factors that are important, for example the fact that many people will take ayahuasca at night, so after all those hours of experience its not only about the effects of the substance, but also about the fact that you will be tired, exhausted, therefore less able to drive well.

Please, be safe! Remember that driving risks not only your life but of other people too!

SnozzleBerry
#8 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:15:21 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Entheojen wrote:
With DMT, I wonder if it would show up in any drug tests after come-down, and how long it might take for blood levels to return to normal.

Nope, and probably within 45 minutes or so. There's no drug test for DMT and it's metabolized so quickly that unless the DEA kicked in your front door immediately following a session with a specialized dmt-test (again, highly doubtful such a thing exists) and tested you then and there, there's no way it would still be detectable in your system.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Entheojen
#9 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:32:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your replies. I would never consider driving under the influence of anything, don't worry. I was wondering, thinking back to the Strassman studies, there was talk of patients driving home after tests.

ms_manic_minxx
#10 Posted : 8/20/2010 9:46:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

While under the influence of Ayahuasca, I was persuaded to sell my car. Pleased

Always best to be safe! The medicine can leave one in a variety of states, sometimes feeling clear and energized, other times sleepy and dreamy. I have always found it best to make sure I have no immediately pressing appointments in the consensus world. A little space goes a long way.
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

soulfood
#11 Posted : 8/20/2010 9:55:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

One thing I will say to be aware of and this doesn't really concern vaporised DMT but is a problem that I can see happening with oral DMT.

Sometimes, if you don't prepare correctly for a pharmahuasca trip with the necassary fasting it can take, in my experience, up to 4 hours to kick in. I usually try not to eat anything substantial on the day of a pharmahuasca journey, but one time I had a fairly good meal and thought I'd be good to go just 3 hours after. 1 hour 30 after dosing I figured I'd fucked up because nothing happened... maybe some light CEV patterns about 30 mins in, but then nothing else. Until the 4 hour mark where it hit me hard. It took me about 15 minutes of that feeling to realise what was actually going on. I just figured I was tired or something, but surely enough a full blown experience did occur.

Be careful.

mandelbrot
#12 Posted : 8/20/2010 10:07:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Entheojen wrote:
With DMT, I wonder if it would show up in any drug tests after come-down, and how long it might take for blood levels to return to normal.

Nope, and probably within 45 minutes or so. There's no drug test for DMT and it's metabolized so quickly that unless the DEA kicked in your front door immediately following a session with a specialized dmt-test (again, highly doubtful such a thing exists) and tested you then and there, there's no way it would still be detectable in your system.

Would they not be able to tell by increased levels of DMT metabolites? I don't think it would have to be anything special, just a piss test. The only problem is $$$$ of course.
-mandelbrother

SnozzleBerry
#13 Posted : 8/21/2010 2:11:49 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

mandelbrot wrote:
SnozzleBerry wrote:
Entheojen wrote:

Would they not be able to tell by increased levels of DMT metabolites? I don't think it would have to be anything special, just a piss test. The only problem is $$$$ of course.

Eh, but even if they performed such a test (which as you pointed out is unlikely due to $$$) what would that prove other than that you had an elevated level of an endogenous neurotransmitter? I highly doubt that alone would be enough to convict (in the US anyway).
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

proto-pax
#14 Posted : 8/22/2010 4:57:29 PM

bird-brain

I don't drive a whole lot (no car), but I'm usually back to baseline in 30 minutes after vaped spice (I still wait at least 45 minutes though).
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

moyshekapoyre
#15 Posted : 11/15/2010 8:45:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't have a car but do drive a bicycle. My family has expressed concern about my riding my bike after doing ayahuasca. I checked here and people say "don't drive until after you return to baseline." But I am not completely back to baseline until at least 48hrs after the experience. Is that odd? I mean, the afterglow is pretty incredible for the next day or so. And even after many days, I may have a flashback when going to sleep, or during sleep.

However, having said that, I have biked miles at a time just an hour after coming up from aya, and I have never felt that I was doing something dangerous. I have seen drunkards trying to drive and they are all over the road. That's not the case after coming up from aya. The only noticeable effect is that I am able to go at speeds unthinkable without aya (my muscles are supercharged). But my fam says, my observations are invalid because I am being subjective.

I'm just wondering what is really reasonable here. I'd probably never have time to do aya if it meant not going anywhere for 2 days.

jamie
#16 Posted : 11/15/2010 9:10:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

^no that sounds rediculous. I can drive easily the morning after, always. Just becasue you feel good in the glow the next day does not mean intoxication to me, just healthy normal brain chemistry..the way our brains should be.
Long live the unwoke.

Nature Boy
#17 Posted : 11/16/2010 1:13:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mandelbrot wrote:

With no prior baseline, how would they know what is normal for you as to those metabolites? Its impossible. Stop worrying.

N.B.

mumbles
#18 Posted : 11/16/2010 11:58:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wait at least 30mins. With maoi inhibition its obviously longer.

Swarupa
#19 Posted : 11/16/2010 4:56:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

After i first tried a very small amount i went out about an hour later, pulled up outside a shop & forgot to put the handbrake on my car, then rolled into the bumper of another car, so i wouldn't suggest it. Of course it may have been a coincidence but on reflection my headspace was definitely not 100% sober and may have contributed to this forgetfullness.

You may feel like your totally back to normal but imo you're not, it's such an immensely powerful experience on your psyche i think it's a bit hasty to say you're completely back to baseline in half an hour and it's ok to drive.

shoe
#20 Posted : 11/18/2010 3:01:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As "one of the more respected members" I've prettymuch got to say that you should probably NOT drive after DMT, or any psychedelics, for a good long time.

SWIM told me though that he once drove immediately after an immensely powerful experience, but it was an "I can do anything" trip. and he says you make your own reality.

I would like to point out though that the further you go with DMT, the easier it is to guage when your back. If you've just had an immensely transformative experience, then you know when you're back and you're not likely to try to go anywhere for a while anyway.

Why would you want to drive immediately after smoking? You should probably just.. you know... go do something simple and physical. "to reaffirm your physical being.", I recall from a really early guide.

Namasté

shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

12NEXT