We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
acetone test Options

crexx21
#1 Posted : 8/7/2010 9:19:17 PM

charles

I remembered reading that you can evaporate a small amount of solvent on the shiny side of a cd to see if it leaves any residues. I did this and as the streaks of acetone evaporated it left behind a waxy-white residue as opposed to napatha leaving nothing. it is kleen strip brand acetone from ace hardware and the msds report online says its 100 % pure. is it ok to use or what?
DISCLAIMER:SWIM is a crazy man who has been driven to insanity by women and nothing he says or asks should be taken seriously, same thing with crexx21, he too is insane and delusional and should seek help.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

gammagore
#2 Posted : 8/7/2010 9:25:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive never liked the idea of doing an evap test on a CD, surely the solvent could do some damage to that CD? Ive always used a glass pyrex lid. Do a test on a piece of glass and compare the results.

If the MSDS says 100% pure acetone, then it must be the CD you used. Do the test on glass and if you find cleaner results go ahead and make the Changa.

#3 Posted : 8/8/2010 12:56:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

SWIM uses Klean Strip 100% Acetone.

Just finished a batch of changa using it.

Yes, it evaporates clean. Smile

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 8/8/2010 2:26:58 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

crexx21 wrote:
I remembered reading that you can evaporate a small amount of solvent on the shiny side of a cd to see if it leaves any residues. I did this and as the streaks of acetone evaporated it left behind a waxy-white residue as opposed to napatha leaving nothing. it is kleen strip brand acetone from ace hardware and the msds report online says its 100 % pure. is it ok to use or what?

As gammagore said. acetone eats away the plastic of the CD. Even the purest acetone in the world will leave a waxy-white residue behind if evaporated atop of a cd.

Whoever told advised you of this "amazing" CD surface evaporation tek should have a reality check ASAP.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#5 Posted : 8/8/2010 4:21:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah man whats up with this evaporating on top of cd.. I wonder who came up with this 'brilliant' idea. One of the bad misinformation out there.

crexx21
#6 Posted : 8/11/2010 3:54:10 PM

charles

I remembered reading it in one of the first few conversations I skimmed over when I entered the site and the post claimed the shiny surface would make it easier to see any residue, but i re-tried my test on glass and it evapped clean and so did my changa.
DISCLAIMER:SWIM is a crazy man who has been driven to insanity by women and nothing he says or asks should be taken seriously, same thing with crexx21, he too is insane and delusional and should seek help.

Gir
#7 Posted : 8/11/2010 4:31:53 PM

Gir

I first saw the "CD test" in Q21's writeup, and since then everyone has had problems using too much solvent, evapping some of the PLASTIC THAT IS NOT HDPE AND WILL BE EATEN BY SOLVENTS.

Glass is the ONLY way to go. Smile

-gir
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 ‹house› mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

The_Shaman
#8 Posted : 8/11/2010 6:08:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I cant get past that warning on the Acetone label "inhalation will cause Illness and Death"

Im sure you guys wouldnt reccomend it if you didnt think it was fine, but that part still bothers me.

Try the 151 Rum , at the very least you will have a bottle of rum handy to pass the time as your blend dries Smile
Obviously everything the Shaman says is Hyperspace Hyperbole

Crystalito
#9 Posted : 8/11/2010 11:13:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I cant get past that warning on the Acetone label "inhalation will cause Illness and Death"

Take a moment to look outside of the window and wonder how many of those people you see could harm themselves accidentaly by not being carefull enough or by being simply stupid, think also how many "funny" stories you have heard around of people being injured or dying due to carelessness and stupidity on their part. Now go back inside and look in the mirror : you are the same species, you belong to the species that...members of it have died from stupidity and recklessnes.Take a deep breath, invigorate your vigilance and promise not to be one of them Smile. Then, you can continue!

Yes, people can be stupid, people can be reckless sometimes and some of those stupid and reckless people sometimes may want to get "high" : Thats why the writing is on there, for people that could propably sniff it to get high, and also for reckless people who for whatever reasons would manage to get themselves into trouble by somehow letting acetone evaporating in a small closed space while they are in it.

The company doesnt want to have legal liability for any of these scenarios, so they put the warning.

gammagore
#10 Posted : 8/11/2010 11:14:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The_Shaman wrote:

Im sure you guys wouldnt reccomend it if you didnt think it was fine, but that part still bothers me.

Try the 151 Rum , at the very least you will have a bottle of rum handy to pass the time as your blend dries Smile

Illness and Death? Wow, thats some warning. Like im sure if you have your head shoved in a bowl full of acetone that would not be good for your health, but like generaly people are evaping 40-80ml at a time, and by a window or an open room.

Do you get any taste from the rum in the final product?

The_Shaman
#11 Posted : 8/12/2010 2:18:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gammagore wrote:

Do you get any taste from the rum in the final product?

No , no strong rum taste at all and it evaps much cleaner then I thought.

I plan on using it from now on.
Obviously everything the Shaman says is Hyperspace Hyperbole