We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
free floating crystals need a home Options

olympus mon
#1 Posted : 8/5/2010 8:50:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

using the q21q21's tek- 1 hour of acidification, 3 hours of baseification, and 20 min non-polar wash 4X.

in the past my naptha pulls go straight to the freezer to precip and its always gone well. this time i wanted to try slow cooling to see the difference in crystal structres, i did 10 hours at room temp, 12 hours fridge, so far 16 hours in a very cold freezer.

first thing different was i put the pulls in the freezer last night and was expecting to see crystals and clear naptha this morning. intsead the naptha was still cloudy and the crystals were not many. no biggie just needs more time i thought so left it a few more hours and checked back finding more crystals forming and a significant improvment on clarity. great.
only problem is that in the past all the crsytals were attached to the dish and made it easy to pour off the naptha leaving the dish to dry the spice.
this time many crystals are free floating around in the naptha.
so here are my questions;

- can i run the naptha through a coffee filter? if so will the crystals stick to the filter?
- does this sound like its taking too long to precipitate in the freezer? my past exctations were much faster maybe 8 hours.
- if i just left the naptha out to evaperate will dmt re-absorb back into the naptha or be left behind to collect?

thanks people, im sure the answers are in the back logs somewhere but honestly i dont have enought free time in the next couple days to research those specific answers so i hope this is an appropriate place to post them. i do try to do my research fist when i can.
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

BananaForeskin
#2 Posted : 8/5/2010 8:56:58 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

I'm about to confront the same issue. If I didn't have enough changa lying around, I would have confronted that issue already; but I, too, have a jar of free-floating crystals as a result of Q21Q21's tek (although I doubt the tek matters in this case).

Actually, I didn't expect these crystals at all; I had thought that the naptha was pretty empty (despite being yellow, but it's always yellow these days) and threw it back in the freezer as a place to keep it. I'm guessing that over the course of the week or so it was in there it must have just gotten colder, and colder, and colder, until even more crystals precipitated out.

I don't think I will be trying to get them out in the next week-- but when I do, I'll report back to this thread. And it should be worth noting that Marsofold's (I think it's marsofold's) tek mentions using a coffee filter to get out spice. However, that seems to me like it has potential to go wrong. Then again, I do have a GVG... you can always vape the coffee filter!
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

endlessness
#3 Posted : 8/5/2010 9:06:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yes you can filter them through coffee filter. The crystals should stay on top of the filter, later you just scrape them. Chances are it will work fine, but if by any chance something goes wrong, like trapped naphtha in the crystals warm up and dissolve them making them melt into the filter, you can always wash the filter with warm naphtha and freeze that again.

it doesnt matter if its taking 'too long' as long as it precipitates out Very happy maybe your naphtha is just not saturated enough.. you can evap a big portion of that naphtha and freeze again, or you can just retrieve your crystals and reuse the naphtha, or you can retrieve crystals, evap the naphtha till, say, a quarter of original volume and then stick in the freezer again.. many possibilities Very happy

just never throw anything away, remember that. Smile

If you just leave the naphtha out to evaporate it will re-dissolve any dmt that is around it, yes, and maybe even make it in a goo that doesnt harden up (possibly because of n-oxide formation )

edit: jeez bananaforeskin, vap the coffeefilter? lol.. just wash the filter with solvent and it will pick the goodies up again Very happy

olympus mon
#4 Posted : 8/5/2010 9:23:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

thanks endlessness, huge huge help!
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

jblazingnataraja
#5 Posted : 8/6/2010 12:57:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
yes you can filter them through coffee filter. The crystals should stay on top of the filter, later you just scrape them. Chances are it will work fine, but if by any chance something goes wrong, like trapped naphtha in the crystals warm up and dissolve them making them melt into the filter, you can always wash the filter with warm naphtha and freeze that again.

I have been told that using a vacuum filtration method will produce super fine crystalline powder DMT - saw some a few months ago - couldn't believe my eyes - I think a coffee filter may even have been used - I wouldn't personally like to try it myself, it sounds odd unless doing it as quickly as possible with as saturated-as-possible naptha.

However I'm a total newbie, but pick things up quickly!
I look into the world, wherein there shines the sun...

endlessness
#6 Posted : 8/6/2010 1:19:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The crystals will have formed during precipitation, before filtration, its not the filtration that will produce one or another kind of dmt, so im not sure what you mean.

However, it is true that vacuum filtration will help prevent the melting crystal issue because the naphtha traces are removed from the crystals very quickly before they have time to warm up and re-dissolve the dmt. I have filtered dmt coming from freeze precipitation with vacuum and it's very nice because in matter of a few seconds it becomes very dry, its very nice vision to see how fast it all happens Smile

(its not necessary though, filtering with plain gravity for this purpouse will work just fine)

jblazingnataraja
#7 Posted : 8/6/2010 2:29:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

AHA ^ No that is what I meant - about the vacuum removing the naptha quicker, producing a finer textured product.

I just had a crap way of explaining myself...happens when I'm tired - bedtime!!

I can't wait to do the vacuum filtration process myself though - I can't imagine what it looks like to be honest...OK maybe I can, seeing as I just saw my dish with about 20 drops of saturated naptha turn into a dried-up DMT riverbed Very happy
I look into the world, wherein there shines the sun...