We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bioassay: Lengthening the effects of turmeric (curcumin) Options

Ginkgo
#1 Posted : 8/5/2010 3:10:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As curcumin combined with piperine peaks in 45 minutes after oral consumption and serum concentration is nearly down to baseline in an hour (see attached graph and papers), I am wondering if taking more piperine 35 minutes after first intake will lengthen the duration. Only one way to find out!

T+0 min: Eating 10g of turmeric combined with 500 mg black pepper in gel capsules, this should equal 0.3-0.5g of curcumin and 25-45mg piperine. The capsules are washed down with a strong cup of coffee. A strong turmeric taste is immediately noted because of some turmeric spilled on the outside of the capsules.

T+7 min: Noting first effects, feeling a bit high in both body and mind, combined with a foggy feeling.

T+15 min: While petting my cat I notice my sense of touch is considerably strengthened. When realizing this, I suddenly see that my vision is also strengthened. Colors seem a bit brighter and edge detection is considerably better than usual. My hearing is also improved as the music is a bit broader, but at the same time I feel some distance to the music. My mind feels withdrawn, even writing this text is somewhat hard.

T+20 min: My vision now includes what I like to call the "zoom effect", where I can focus on a small area of my actual vision and see this area very well. I normally have somewhat bad sight, but low doses of most serotonergic psychedelics drastically improve this. My sight is now similar to how it is on a low dose psilocin, although no breathing or movement is apparent.

T+25 min: I feel rather stimulated. The effect on my senses makes it apparent that curcumin absolutely is active at serotonin receptors. And indeed, curcumin show agonist activity at the receptors 5-HT1A, 5-HT1B and 5-HT2C (see attached papers), but none on 5-HT2A, the subtype responsible for the hallucinogenic action of most psychedelics. This means curcumin will never get real psychedelic (as harmala-alkaloids will), but curcumin may be an interesting addition to psychedelics.

T+30 min: The body euphoria is not as apparent as the trial with a lower dose two days earlier, so tolerance is definitely built. However, it doesn't seem like there's any tolerance for the effect on the senses, as they are much stronger than last trial.

T:35 min: Feeling very stimulated, so goes out for a quick walk in my garden. When coming back I take 500mg more of black pepper, equaling 25-45mg piperine. If my theory is correct, the curcumin should be strongly felt for at least 45 more minutes, if not the effects should nearly disappear within 25 minutes.

T+42 min: I feel like I am peaking, some very nice body euphoria is felt. Right now it feels nothing like it did for only 12 minutes ago. I still feel foggy and withdrawn in my mind, but the music sounds wonderful, comparable to a low dose mescaline.

T+50 min: This is really strange stuff. From getting wonderful euphoria following the music, I suddenly feel so withdrawn from the music that I feel nauseous if I don't turn it of. As soon as I do, I get a good body euphoria again, although not as strong as less than 10 minutes ago.

T+55 min: A new wave hits me, and the music is once again wonderful. Either the second capsule of black pepper did the trick, or this stuff really goes in waves, like mushrooms. I should be close to baseline now though, but I am far from it.

T+65 min: Sitting still with my eyes closed, breathing slowly and listening to Shulman is absolutely wonderful. Trying to listen to music and writing at the same time is hard. I am not peaking anymore, but the effect is still rather strong. Takes 500mg more of black pepper, equaling 25-45mg piperine.

T+75 min: Still as high as for 10 minutes ago, although I should be nearly down at baseline now. This means that it seems my theory was correct. Taking more piperine after 35 minutes definitely lengthens the duration of curcumin. However, I now feel a bit nausea and a small headache starting to build, so I am taking a hit of cannabis from my VG. It is clear to me that an extract of the active compounds should be used.

T+90 min: Cannabis blends really well with turmeric! Both the nausea and headache are gone, I feel less withdrawn and a tad bit less foggy, but still the good parts of the curcumin effect is felt, including much stronger senses and some euphoria.

T+110 min: I still feel the turmeric very strong, so even the third capsule of pepper seems to have had somewhat of an effect. The cannabis should not be forgotten though, without it I am sure I wouldn't be as high as I am.

Conclusion:
You can redose with a small dose piperine every 30-45 minutes to triple the length of the action of turmeric, including the plateau. The real peak is, however, not significantly lengthened. This knowledge may be handy if one wants to try combining curcumin with psychedelics, where a duration of only about an hour may be too short.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

jamie
#2 Posted : 8/5/2010 5:15:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I combine it with psychedelics alot. I did today even. I woke up and ate a bowl of quinoa, dumped currey into it, then some black pepper, and some tobasco sauce..had a cup of coffee, and then smoked changa. It was great. It seemed to be more medative when I came out of the trance than it usually is. Before I smoked I was feeling tons of euphoria..and afterwards when im usually laughing alot and rolling around ecstatically, I was instead just sitting there calmly, breathing, lots of euphoria still and visuals but not huge rushes of energy..I dunno if that was just a random thing or not.

I felt stimulated for the next 2 or 3 hours though.

Watch out though when you do combine turmeric with harmalas and tryptamines..I add lots of turmeric sometimes to my currey, and even take turmeric extract pills I have, and when I took it before with large doses of bufotenine and harmalas I really thought I was gunna loose my mind..the hallucinations were so strong wiht lots of mind warp..at least it didnt seem to lengthen the peak so I didnt have to deal with t too long.

I was exerimenting this way alot a few months back..adding in loads of ginger and licorice extract, with cacao on top of the currey as a predose for harmalas and bufotenine and DMT..that was cool..there is something about licorice..especially when taken with other herbs.
Long live the unwoke.

ms_manic_minxx
#3 Posted : 8/5/2010 6:27:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I threw 1/2 tsp tumeric and black pepper into a tasty nonsweet fruit salad for lunch today... aborted lunch halfway through, because I felt the *kick in the head* and something coming on. My body felt warm, flushed, and I had the strange sensation of a bright yellow star burning at my crown chakra for maybe 30 minutes. Whew!!

Thanks for the incredible writeup, Evening Glory!

Are there ANY possible adverse effects with either curcumin or piperine--you know, for the incredibly sensitive among us? Laughing Any thoughts when combining with MAOI?
Some things will come easy, some will be a test